Skip to main content

The Story So Far...Part 4

 It was always my intention to be a writer for the entirety of my working life. That was the game plan. That’s what you did, wasn’t it, when you were released into the wild from school? Chose a career, worked at it for 40 - 50 years, retired and either embarked on non-stop cruises, learnt to play bowls or grew runner beans for the duration of your retirement until death did you part. 

And yet here I am, three quarters of the way through my working life (because the goal posts for retirement keep being moved and currently stand at age 67 and not the 60 it was when I started paying into a pension) having jumped from job to job like some indecisive moth bashing my head against a light bulb that keeps flicking on and off just to confuse matters. 

Meanwhile, Andy qualified as a vet over 25 years ago. It’s all he has done. There is no sign of him doing anything else. So, you see, it can be done. Sticking to one thing. 

I’ve worked on a farm. I’ve worked in shops. I worked in a pub - for two days - turns out working in a pub involves a tad too much greasy oil for my liking. I’ve been an optical assistant. I’ve done tarot readings over the phones. I’ve earned a little bit from writing, but sadly not enough. The biggest chunk of my working life was taken up with teaching, coinciding with a divorce and the need to earn decent money to support my children. And now I’ve come full circle and find myself working on a farm again. What’s all that about, eh? Perhaps I should have stuck with farming from the get-go. 

And all the while, other careers options have flitted in and out of my thoughts because each ‘proper’ job I’ve had has made me feel fidgety and like I was in the wrong place. With all of them, that little spark of passion that would have kept me connected and in love with my work remained elusive, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself it was there. So I tried to pursue other career options - but only in my mind. Ironically, now that I am reviewing this last 30 year trajectory of ‘The Life of Me Thus Far’ I can see these alternatives all have a common theme and if I’d seen it earlier - well, my life career might have been different. But I shall not dwell on thoughts of regret and think instead of all the skills I’ve accumulated during the jobs I HAVE done. 

Here I shall interject a photo of Flora Bijou Mybug with a look on her face which says, ‘You bloomin’ idiot. Fancy it taking you 30 years to work this out...’


My list of alternative careers include : aromatherapist, reflexologist, soul midwife, celebrant, counsellor and healer. For each one I’ve built up the enthusiasm to visualise myself in each job role. I’ve read about them, researched them, taken courses - blimey, I’ve even got as far as having business cards printed! 

But each time my self-belief that I could actually do these things and be successful at them has wavered. My confidence has crumbled, the doubts have crept in and I’ve talked myself out of my enthusiasm, telling myself I’m being ridiculous and there is no way I could be any of these things that have attached themselves to my soul and feel very much the right thing for me to be doing. Mad, eh?  Looking back, these incidents of self-destruction have coincided with times where my life path has been ambushed by unpleasant or difficult events. Enough for me to reject my plans and, in the words of that song - stop the world because I want to get off. 

Of course, I now recognise that all these events came along to test my resolve. How ready was I, really, to take on these new careers? Would my passion survive the testing times? If it didn’t, then clearly the time was not right. 

I see that now. And that is why, this time at the age of 55 and a quarter, I am back again, connected to these passions, and moving forward with them because now the time IS right...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep writing. Keep holding on to the light that is finding what engages you. Now is always the right time.
KJ
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Yee Haw! So glad you are back to persueing your dream job.

I would just like a job I could stay at for more than 57 days.

Keeping you close to my heart.

Deanna M
Vera said…
Nicely written, Denise........Vx
Denise said…
KJ - I shall. And now really does feel like the right time. The speed and ease with which events have happened in the previous two weeks has been breath-taking. x

Bless you, Deanna - you’ve been such a constant support and I hope with all my heart that your work situation is sorted out. Much love and light to you, my lovely Texan friend! x

Thank you, Vera. Words are coming that need to be written. x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.