Skip to main content

Today At Work

 Today at work:

1) We potted on some rosemary cuttings. I almost forgot what I was writing there, which is ironic, given rosemary is the herb of remembrance. During this activity, one of the gang presented me with a worm. We called it ‘George’ and released it into the wild. It shall henceforth be known as ‘Wild George.’

2) We de-stoned some damsons which had been languishing in the freezer for months. It was a messy job. And it certainly did not look like we had done murder unto someone when we had finished.

3) We washed out a load of pots and trays in preparation for the new gardening season. This is provided the zombie apocalypse doesn’t occur ‘twixt now and April. If it does, I shall be bloody annoyed, because washing out pots and trays is my least favourite of all gardening jobs. I might have strong words to say to the zombies who may, in turn, regret their decision to start their apocalypse. Stupid zombies.

4) We dug up celeriac. I do not like celeriac. It looks too weird for words, it’s a faff to grow and it tastes vile. You will NEVER hear me bemoaning a celeriac shortage. You will NEVER find a celeriac stock pile chez Damson Cottage. I shall NEVER panic buy celeriac. 

5) We made cake for the afternoon rambling group. That was good. Always enjoy making cake. My only regret about making cake at work is that it is not the done thing to clean out the bowl of cake mix leftover with one’s finger as one might do at home. Apparently, it is unhygienic in a public setting. Waste of good cake mix, if you ask me.

6) We shifted a load of compost from Bay 4 Compost Bin, to Bay 2 Compost Bin. No idea why, but it was on the list of ‘To Do’ and it kept the lads busy with wheelbarrows and spades for half an hour.

And finally...

7) We spread out around the willow arch in the garden and we did the Hokey Cokey.

Because that’s what it’s all about.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Celeriac, nope, not on my list of good things to eat, never liked them and I got my "I told you so" moment when I was tested for allergies and celeriac came up and bananas (which I still grieve). I swear there is a connecting between food you really dislike (as in all your life) and allergies. Sounds like you had a productive day at work, always a good feeling.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, I think you are right about allergies. I think we should listen to our bodies and instincts more but some how we’ve lost the knack. I enjoy my days at work - they are a good distraction from all that is rubbish at the moment!
Athene said…
Sorry - celeriac is delicious, and considering how ridiculously expensive it is to buy it’s definitely worth growing. I’d be snatching it from your earthy little paws if I were around!

I’m so pleased that you’ve found a job you enjoy so much.
Denise said…
Well, if I’d known your joy of celeriac, Olly, I’d had gladly posted them on to you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.