Skip to main content

Small World News

 I was going to blog yesterday because yesterday was the birthday of this lady...


She is Stella Gibbons, and the literature buffs amongst you will know her for writing ‘Cold Comfort Farm’ which is one of the THE best novels EVER! Stella Gibbons is my favourite writer. She is clever, witty, ever so good with satire, observant, a grafter of industrious proportions, and a writing crafter of excellent standard, and I adore her. I especially like this photo of her because she has a proper telephone, a sewing basket near by and is wearing a pair of slippers pretty much identical to a pair worn by my maternal grandmother. She also has a look on her face which says, ‘I wish whoever put that coffee table there would put it back where it belongs, because I know I’m going to crack my shin on it AGAIN if it stays there.’ 

Stella Gibbons died in 1989. But it was her birthday yesterday. So Happy Birthday, ma’am, and thank you for writing 22 novels and keeping me madly happy with reading them! If I was a writer, I’d be honoured to be half as talented as you are. 

In other news: yesterday Damson Cottage received a letter from a local Jehovah’s Witness representative called Sheila. Sheila conveyed apologies for not being able to visit personally in these difficult times, and hoped that my family and I were keeping well. And that if there was anything she or the Jehovah’s Witnesses could help with in these difficult times (religiously, of course. There was no offer to collect prescriptions or do a spot of weeding) then please would I phone her, and she printed her number at the bottom of the letter. 

I was grateful that Sheila hadn’t called personally because the road we live on is shocking for pedestrians. I checked that no one in the household required religious sustenance, and then I consigned the letter and envelope to the fire lighting materials basket (waste not, want not) but not before removing the stamp and adding it to my envelope of stamps that I am saving to send to the Hedgehog Preservation Society who collect them for charitable purposes. Hedgehogs like a stamp, apparently. They use them in art projects.

Tootsie the Confused Cockerel has discovered the wild bird feeding station outside the big kitchen window. My plan is to lay a trail of sunflower seeds and fat balls oddments for him down the driveway and towards the aforesaid shocking road...

I’ve added a LARGE eiderdown to the bed. It hangs to the floor on three sides. Bambino has taken to hiding under the bed, secreted by the eiderdown, and galloping out at me whenever I pass by. I keep telling him that he is running the risk of having his head kicked in if he persists in this element of surprise, because of my woman-on-the-edge Ninja skills, but will he listen? 

I’ve been writing letters recently, and have discovered that my lovely posh metal pen makes my fingers go white with cold when I hold it for any length of time. This is not good. It is painful, too. I have taken to wearing fingerless mittens when I letter write. I am turning into Mrs Scrooge. 

Three of my lost pounds have reappeared over Christmas. Any day now I’m going to do something about sending them back. 

The snowdrops and daffodils are emerging. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.