Skip to main content

All Out of Love

 I have fallen out of love with writing. My 50 year love affair with the Art of Wordery appears to have died. I felt it loosen its grip on my soul during November when I was trying to shoo along this year’s Christmas Story and found I could write no further than six days into the usual twenty four day tale. What I wrote was good. It was funny. I was pleased with it. 

And yet....from nowhere...it stopped. 

So no story this year. Not even a forced story. Writing suddenly became a pointless pursuit. And I extend my heartfelt apologies to those of you who’ve stuck with the Much Malarkey Manor fantasy all these years. Your encouragement and responses have lifted my writer’s heart more than you can ever know and without you I probably would have called an end to this ‘Being a Writer’ malarkey years ago. 

It hit me hard, I won’t lie. I’ve invested so much time honing my craft ever since I decided I wanted to be a writer when I was at primary school. It was my game plan, my career of choice. I was going to be a best selling novelist. I was going to spend all day, every day, writing, editing, publishing, travelling on book tours, talking to all sorts of interesting people about my work, signing autographs....yes, that was the plan.

Then suddenly this realisation emerges that it isn’t going to happen. I guess I just didn’t want it enough. Yes, I am a writer. I recognise I have a talent. And I shall continue to keep my private diaries. But what I don’t have is skin thick enough to buffer the constant rejections, or a character pushy enough to shout and barge my way through the crowds of other talented writers out there fighting to be published. It’s a tough world, when you are up against talentless celebrities who will, at least, guarantee their publishers sales and income. 

That didn’t sound bitter, did it? It wasn’t meant to. I’m just being realistic, and with that realism comes acceptance and peace. And now, for this time - days, weeks, months, whatever - I am happy to be pottering through the days doing a bit of sewing, making jigsaw puzzles, reading, getting ready for Christmas. Living one day at a time.

On other news, Andy had a blood test a couple of weeks ago which tested positive for Covid antibodies. He had a truly stinky, exhausting, hacking cough of a snotty fluey cold back in January which must have been Covid. And if it is as infectious as we’ve been told it is, then I’ve probably had it, too (January was pre-isolation because no-one appeared to know about Covid then) and was asymptomatic. Who knew, eh? Still, I feel comforted that Andy came through it unscathed and my immune system must be on top form. 

We had sheep visitors for a couple of weeks, in the field that wraps around Damson Cottage. That was nice, although a sheep coughing loudly in the dark when one is venturing to the top of the garden to close up the hen coop can rather make one jump! 

I’ve delivered a couple of craft sessions at the farm where I work. They went well. I’m not sure how many more there will be because the funding is finite, but I’ve learnt a couple of things along the way should I decide to set up my own craft delivery business in the future. It’s been a gentle training ground if nothing else.

The Christmas decorations are up, two weeks ahead of when they would usually appear. I’m glad we’ve decorated the house earlier. It has lifted my spirits; I think we’ve all needed a bit of an extended sparkle and twinkle boost after this year. 

I have two more days at work before the farm closes for a two week break. I’m looking forward to the break, which is insane, really, given it was less than two years ago that I was working full time in a stressful teaching job and now I work a couple of days a week doing a bit of gardening and cooking with a handful of delightful people. I think I am growing soft in my advancing middle age. My resilience is lacking resilience.

And that’s all, really. I am sorry about the lack of Christmas story. Although some of you maybe breathing a sigh of relief! 




Comments

rusty duck said…
Christmas without Mrs Miggins and co just isn’t the same. But I guess they would have struggled as much as the rest of us this year, given their own pandemic and lockdown. 2020 is the year that just never stops giving. And to think at the start I said it was the year of perfect vision. Pah.
Anonymous said…
It cheered me up to no end to see your post today. I think you might find that writing is in your blood and one day you find yourself writing again. It’s good to realize when it is time to not fight anymore and let it be, perhaps for a good while, perhaps forever. What ever it is, it’s all good.
KJ
Denise said…
Blimey, Mrs Duck. Don’t make me feel any more guilty than I already do....

Thank you, KJ. Wise as ever. I think a break will do me good. Stepping back from the pen awhile and fiddling around with other things. No promises, no targets, no goals. 🙂
aileen g said…
Dear Denise. No need to feel sorry or guilty about doing what is right for you. It's been a funny old year and the New Year tv programmes which look back at 2020 are going to have some slim pickings. I have found it difficult to settle to things I usually enjoy. Instead of devouring several books a month I am struggling to get through one "easy" read, ad yesterday I got some craft stuff out, cut out one thing, then promptly left it and went and sat on the sofa and watched the snooker. I have said that the virus and various restrictions have had little impact on me personally - I am not a very sociable person, hate shopping and choose to spend a good deal of time in my own little home - but I think it has affected me more than I realise. My youngeest (but very wise) daughter thinks it's beacause the element of choice has been vastly reduced. She's probably right - she usually is!
Happier news is that although I thought I was done being a cat slave after losing my big, old boy in April, I have now adopted two 1 year old Kittens from a rescue place. They have been here for 2 weeks and we are still finding our feet - although my feet are finding every granule of cat litter which manages to track it's way through the house! They haven't managed to completely wreck the house yet but my Xmas decorations are extremely minimal this year.
Best wishes to you and his lordship (and all your readers) for Christmas, New Year (new lockdown?), whatever!
Athene said…
Of course I would love to read another Much Malarkey panto, but no need to feel guilty, we have enjoyed your generosity in writing and sharing it with us for the last few years. I suspect that your writing mojo will return at some point, but if it doesn’t, so be it. I hope you will keep blogging even if it’s only intermittent, I love reading about your and Andy’s adventures.

I think that quite a few of us may already have had COVID without realising it. We’ll never know unless everyone gets tested.
rusty duck said…
It wasn't my intention to make you feel guilty, I'm sorry. My comment was in relation to the general carnage that is 2020, not specifically the Christmas story! x
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Denise, it is good to see a blog! Though we will all miss the Malarkey of the Christmas story we understand. This year has made all of us struggle, I have been struggling with finding permanent employment and the stress that that brings. keeping you and Andy close my heart.

Merry Christmas and a very new and exciting 2021.

Deanna
Andy said…
I'm lucky because I got to hear at least the nascent form of this year's Malarkey panto (it was as funny as ever) read to me by the author. xxxxxxxxxx
Denise said…
Aileen- I’m delighted to hear about your two new additions! How wonderful! What a lovely displacement activity, to have kittens to settle into your home. And I agree with the element of choice comment. I, too, don’t feel as if the restrictions have affected me that much. But every now and then I think, ‘I’ll just go and....’ and then I think, ‘Oh, I can’t.’ And that riles. We’ve been privileged to live with freedom of choice for so many years. Now, what are your two kitties called??

Oh Olly - you’ve been part of the Manor Malarkey for sooooo many years! I hope my mojo returns at some point, but I don’t think it will be for a while. I shall try to keep blogging, at least. I, too, think Covid has been more widespread than we think.

Don’t worry, Mrs Duck - I know from where you are coming.

Deanna! How are you? I’m sorry to hear about your employment problems and will think many positive thoughts and wishes for you that good news comes your way soon. Bless you and yours. Hugs to you across the ocean. xx

Hubbie - it promised to be a good ‘un, didn’t it? But I just didn’t have the oomph for it...😕
aileen g said…
Kittens are Felix - not something I would have chosen but it suits him so I will go with it- and Smith (Smithy) - who was previously Freddie but he definitely is not a Freddie. Had 2nd follow up call from Cat's Protection earlier and they are "properly" mine now she is transferring the microchips over to my name.
Denise said…
I’m glad you have been approved at ‘official owner’, Aileen! Those kitties are very lucky to have you as a Mum!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.