Skip to main content

Onwards to Fifty Six

 Had a bit of a birthday today! In celebration of being 55, I bought myself a tutu...


I apologise for modelling it whilst wearing my comfy slippers, as opposed to my ballet slippers, but I was very excited to be the proud owner of a tutu since, well....forever, that I just went into immediate twirl mode and sod the aesthetics of anything else. 

Andy and I went on a road trip yesterday. It was a bit of a last minute decision, based on my being irrationally upset by the announcement on Saturday of another stretch of lockdown. I hate that word - lockdown. It’s definition is ‘to keep prisoners behind bars’ so whoever selected it to use in what is basically a quarantine situation made a stupid choice. I also have problems accepting these things when I can’t fathom the rationality of such a decision. But I shall express no more of my opinions. Best to keep them to myself. 

Anyway, the urge to visit my beloveds became too overwhelming to ignore, so yesterday we got in the car and drove 3 and a half hours to our old Kent stomping ground where we did a series of whistle stop visits to encompass my son, granddaughters, mum, aunt, brother and a long time dear friend. We delivered Christmas presents as we went - thank goodness I have been on the ball with shopping this year. There were other people I’d have loved to see, but time, and eventually fatigue, were against us, and we set off for home around 6 p.m, arriving home at 9.30 with driving rain and a boisterous wind behind us. The cats have just about forgiven us for abandoning them for sooooooo long....

I went to bed soon thereafter, feeling my spirit had been buoyed by the day. Andy stayed up though, and made me a surprise birthday cake! He said he finished about 1 a.m...I think wine may have been involved. He even invented a new way to mix the ingredients so he wouldn’t wake me by using the electric whisk thing. He divulged the secret method to me. I shan’t share it. Suffice to say, it made my eyes bug a tad.


Isn’t that lovely? So I’ve had a peaceful, restful birthday. I’ve eaten too much but I shall be back on track tomorrow. I’ve received many wonderful presents and cards. People have been really thoughtful, bless them all. I’m a lucky girl, indeed. And I’ve plenty of gorgeous books to keep me brain-fed for a while...

I’m ready to tackle my 56th year, then. I have plans and ideas. Life in the outside world might be uncertain at the moment, but I am focusing on what’s inside. No government has control over the freedoms I have in my mind. I am a Scorpio! Lilly’s Christian Astrology published in London, 1647, describes us as bold yet prudent, confident, valiant, immoveable and unafraid in the face of peril. And that we will obey or submit to no-one! I’m treasuring that information as inspiration for the next year.

It has been a good day! 


Comments

rusty duck said…
Wow Denise!
Yes, tutu. But also so slim! And the new hairdo is fab. Can't think of a better way of entering one's 56th year.
Many happy returns. And much tutu-ing.. if only to burn off all the cake.

Athene said…
Happy birthday Denise. Lovely cake (well done Andy) and I’m glad you managed to see family. It feels more important than ever to stay in touch with people. Onward and upward, we will get through this.

We are in Tier Two here so my celebrations have all had to be out of doors in groups of fewer than six. I managed a Halloween party with one niece, takeaway with another, time with my sister, brunch with friends and then a lovely afternoon with a slightly different group in my friend’s garden. I’ve had three different birthday cakes and some lovely presents. There’s just some mistake on my paperwork somewhere, because apparently I’m 60 - I’m sure this can’t be right as I still feel the same as I did when I was 18.

Scorpios are the best 😀
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Happy Birthday! Your Tutu and your new hairdo are lovely. Keep on being you!
Denise said…
Jessica...if I could find a ballet class in my area, I would join it like a shot! Also, the cake, being homemade, did not come in a box stating its calorie content. Ergo, it was ZERO calories! 😁

60, Olly? 60??!!? That can’t be right. You are a mere slip of a girl, surely? Well done, you, for arranging so many mini-parties, though. That is true spirit and I am glad you had a lovely celebration. And we shall get through this - visiting my family and friends was just the boost to my determination that I needed. (Scorpios ARE best - if only more people could understand that....sigh....🙂)

Thank you, Deanna! I hope you are yours are keeping well across the pond? xx
aileen g said…
Happy birthday Denise - you are rocking that tutu (even with the slippers)! I'm totally bewildered by the world at the moment so am hunkering down with my books and craft stuff and almost welcoming the rain as it makes home feel even more the place to be. Having said that it is quite sunny today so may go for a stroll round the block. Perhaps the government should issue us all with a zorb and we can all go trundling round safely in our "bubbles" like hamsters. Social distancing and exercise sorted in one fell swoop! I see a whole new career opening up for me as a government advisor - although I have actually been shouting at them on televison for years to no avail.
Vera said…
Happy belated birthday, Denise, and glad that you had an enjoyable day.
Denise said…
Aileen - I think you would make an excellent government advisor. You could be Minister in Charge of Common Sense! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been shouting at the television. You are right, of course - all we can do is hunker down, keep occupied with doing lovely at home things and thinking positive thoughts that someone, somewhere will see the lunacy of it all and bring it to a swift and blessed end.

Thank you, Vera! I did. 🙂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.