Skip to main content

Who’s the Bear?

 No idea why, but I was thinking about bears today. Here’s a bear and a half...


...he’s called 747, after the huge Boeing airplane. He is currently residing in Alaska’s Katmai National Park and has been declared the Fattest Bear, which is good because he’ll have a jolly good chance of surviving hibernation. 

And so I was thinking about who should be given the title Best Bear of All Time. I’m excluding personal bears here, because we all think our own teddies are the best. I am thinking of famous bears, celebrity bears, if you will. 

So we have Paddington, created by the marvellous Michael Bond. Paddington, of course, has been ricocheted to fame in the previous few years following the release of two rather excellent films, namely ‘Paddington’ (unoriginal, but does what it says on the tin) and ‘Paddington Two’ which is even less inspirational as a title, but again, why should it be anything else. I love ‘Paddington Two.’ 

Then there is that perennial favourite, Winnie the Pooh, and his cast of dysfunctional friends living in Hundred Acre Wood. Although a Bear of Little Brain, his creator, A.A Milne has made him one of great philosophy. I feel that a considerable amount of that philosophy was lost when Pooh turned all Disney, so I am a stickler for the original. 

What about Rupert Bear? Dubious fashion choices - tartan yellow trousers are never to be advised unless you are Michael Portillo on a train - but you can’t deny Rupert’s spirit of adventur. Annoying friends, I seem to remember. I also remember receiving a Rupert Bear Annual as a birthday gift one year and being told by the giver that she had read it first and it was jolly good. Well, that sort of put me off. Is that a thing, reading a book before you present it as new to someone else? I don’t think so, not even as a nine year old. 

Yogi and Booboo next, running riot and stealing picnics in Jellystone National Park. I bet Yogi wouldn’t have any problems surviving hibernation either. As an aside, my mum was known by her nieces and nephews as Auntie Booboo. Apparently, it was her nickname as a child. I did used to wonder how Booboo was somehow a derivative of the name Diana, which is her actual name. Turns out it isn’t a derivative at all. Who knew, eh? 

Those are the bears with whom I grew up. I know who is my Best Bear of All Time. 

Who is yours? 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Paddington gets my vote, although Rupert comes a close second and Yogi was a childhood favourite. I also have fond memories of Big Ted and Little Ted (Playschool) and Teddy Edward. Never had my own teddy bear but we played with my dad’s as children and now I have my son’s childhood bears too, imaginatively named Trifle Bear (he has a big, round tummy - like he ate a whole trifle) and Square Bear (square body, of course!)

Hx
Denise said…
Oh yes, H! Big Ted and Little Ted from Playschool! And, of course, I’ve just remembered Baloo from ‘The Jungle Book.’ And do you remember ‘The Hair Bear Bunch?’ I didn’t have a bear as a child either, but to make up for it I was given one for my 18th birthday which I’ve still got. He came from Clarke’s Furniture in Kent and is almost 4 feet tall! And then my friend, Jane gave me a bear for my 40th, and I have my sister’s bear that she had in hospital when she was ill.
Anonymous said…
Oh crumbs yes ... Help! It’s the Hair Bear Bunch 🤣 I had forgotten them. I was given a panda who is about 2 feet tall in my 20s. He is called Peter and he sleeps in the spare bed. No idea who gave him to me though or why. And I have a large Scooby Doo I was given in my 40s. I have a feeling he might have a hot water bottle inside him! Hx
Denise said…
We have a large Clanger hot water bottle. Trouble is, if you happen to roll on it, it sets off the Clanger sound effect! Entertaining if you are awake, but not so if it’s the dead of night and it wakes you up!
Athene said…
I remember a book about Teddy Bear Coalman, obviously a book that would be lost on young readers today! The book from which I learned to read had a green cover with white spots on, and the first chapter was all about Bear. ‘On Monday, Bear does his washing - he hangs it out to dry’ and so on. I seem to remember the purchase of buns being involved, and then one day ‘Bear stays in bed all day’. Sensible bear.
Denise said…
Sounds utterly charming, Olly!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.