Skip to main content

Wafting Along...

 Here I am, wafting along through October, enjoying a calm before an anticipated storm. Of course, there may NOT necessarily be a storm but isn’t that how the Pattern of Life happens - peaks and troughs, ups and downs, calms and storms? Regardless, I’m making the most of these settled times where I can potter through my days doing a bit of this, some of that and a smidgeon of the other. And thus was the rhythm of today.

The mincemeat was cooked up and stored yesterday...


...six delicious jars! It smells gorgeous and I’m looking forward to turning it into various pies and puddings as the cold, dark days close in. It’s a few weeks yet until Stir Up Sunday when I shall make the Christmas Pudding. Usually, I use ye ancient family recipe passed down through the maternal side of my family, but this year I am going rogue, oh yes I am! I’ve found a mediaeval recipe in a spelt cookery book which I am keen to try. Just don’t tell my Mum that I am rejecting the traditional family recipe this year! Actually, will she be bothered? Probably not.

To my shame (because in previous years I have refused to consider Christmas shopping until the middle of November) I have pretty much completed the task for this year. No way was I ever going to shop on the High Street, not all the while face coverings are mandatory. It’s taken all the pleasure out of browsing, I’m afraid, and I’d rather peruse at my leisure on-line, rather than suffer the grab and dash approach I would have to adopt if I went on physical shopping excursions. As such, and because I have the leisure of time, I’m well ahead of the game. It feels odd, to be honest. Satisfying, yet odd.

And that is all I have for today. It really has been that peaceful. The cats are both well. The cockerels are moulting and, having lost the magnificent swoopy plumage of their show-off tails, look like oven ready rugby balls. The Autumn raspberries are fruiting well, the apples are pretty much all off their trees, the tomatoes off their vines. Andy’s new cold frame is nurturing some radish and Winter greens. I’m about a third of the way through knitting my cropped jacket. 

Oh, and I have officially lost 30lbs in the last 6 months, and am, after 34 years, finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight! It can be done! Only 13lbs to go before I am officially ‘normal.’ 

Whatever that is...

Comments

Meryl said…
Well done, lovely lady on so many levels!x
Anonymous said…
Good for you! I love days like that just pottering.
KJ
Denise said…
Thanks Meryl! I hope you are well?

Can’t beat a pottering day, eh KJ?
aileen g said…
I am an expert potterer (a pottee?). This week though I have been having "a concerted effort and getting things done" which is a good antidote to the grey, wet weather. So the craft room is finally not looking like a jumble sale, and I "found" 4 unfinished projects (now on the kitchen table ready to be completed). I freecycled some old craft magazines, and even sorted out the drawer of doom in the kitchen dresser (do Allen keys reproduce as I seem to have several more than I remember?).
I'm still working on the baby weight (youngest is nearly 39!)! Must work on getting more punctuation in my comments too (hee-hee)!
Anonymous said…
And when you do need an Allen key it’s never the right one or is that just me?
KJ
Denise said…
Goodness, Aileen - what industry you have displayed! I’m glad you are tackling your U.F.Os - I do that on occasion, and it is very satisfying. As for Allen keys - we have the obligatory collection, too, and I can’t for the life of me think of anything we’ve bought in the last 5 years at least that have required one. Perhaps they just manifest from the ether?

And going on from that, KJ, perhaps Allen keys manifest as baby ones and then grow, a millimetre or so every couple of years, very subtlety, and that’s why they never fit, merely twizzle around ineffectually?
Anonymous said…
I will now install a camera to test your theory. I’ll report back with any developments I observe.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, if you would be so kind. We could be on the verge of a scientific revelation here...

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.