Skip to main content

Tomatoes, Onions, Carrots and Peas

 The four most commonly eaten vegetables, according to research, are : tomatoes, onions, carrots and peas. Tomatoes, of course, are not vegetables - they are fruits. I do not know why, then, they were included in research regarding the most commonly eaten vegetables. It is just this lack of attention to detail that irks me, but really I ought to let it go because there are more important things to fret about in life than categorising tomatoes. 

Anyway, I can see why these four are popular. I love tomatoes, peas and onions. I am less in love with carrots unless they are caramelised in sugar and butter which doesn’t happen very often, given I am now entering Month 7 of the Great Fat Drop and I don’t intend to scupper the hard work of the previous six months by scoffing buttery sugary carrots. Home grown carrots, fresh from the ground, are excellent, of course. But supermarket ones always taste slightly soapy to me. 

When I was in the first, or maybe second, year of primary school - so I’d have been 5 or 6 years old - our teacher tasked us with drawing a picture to illustrate a rhyme that she gave each of us that was linked to our name. So, for example, Bobby Payne Went to Spain in a Chocolate Aeroplane. Bobby would then be expected to draw a picture of himself in a plane made from chocolate, presumably under a beating sun to represent Spain. Maybe the aeroplane could be melting a bit, to show that Bobby understood the adverse effect of heat on chocolate. Maybe, if he was geographically astute, he’d have drawn an outline of Spain, or the Spanish flag. I don’t know - I didn’t look because I was too busy crafting my own picture. 

Which was based on the rhyme : Greedy Denise Ate A Hundred Peas. 

Now, if I wasn’t already aware of being a bit on the fat side at that age, I certainly remember this occasion as being a pivotal point for realising I looked different to the other girls in my class. I remember the picture I drew. I pictured myself wearing a large oval dress, presumably to cover my tubby tum. And I also remember drawing exactly 100 peas in a meticulous pile beside the figure that represented me. I drew them in a neat pyramid shape and as I coloured them in, I counted them again to make sure there was definitely 100. Attention to detail, you see. Accuracy. Emerging autistic tendencies. 

I took the finished picture to show the teacher. She looked at it. She said, ‘That’s not 100 peas. Go and draw some more.’

The teacher, the adult who should have known more than me, the mere child, was wrong. There WERE 100 peas in that pyramid. I would not have presented her with a picture containing anything more or less than the 100 pea brief. That’s what I am like. If someone asks me for something specific, specific is what they get. Why would I short change them? Why did this teacher think I would be so slap dash with my work? But in those days you didn’t argue with adults. So I returned to my table, hot with blushing embarrassment and crestfallen. But I can’t remember if I added any more peas to the pile. 

I like to think I remained determined and true to myself. I knew there were 100 peas. Why was I being told I was wrong? Perhaps I was wrong? Why was I doubting myself? Perhaps that is where I started to learn to distrust authority and rely on my own common sense? Something must have embedded itself in my psyche, though, because I remember that incident of 50 years ago so clearly. It has certainly left me with the feeling that the only person I can trust is myself. 

Thankfully, I wasn’t put off peas! They remain one of my favourite vegetables. Especially with a dash of mint.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel sorry for the 5/6 year old Denise. Just goes to show that words should be chosen carefully before spoken or written for that matter.
KJ
Denise said…
It does, KJ. And you don’t realise the impact until you think about it years and years down the line. Odd how some things stay with you.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.