Skip to main content

Sew Meditative

 Until today I was very much of the opinion that embroidery was an activity that was deeply absorbing and relaxing. A pastime that could whisk you away into a world free from stress, anxiety and feeling obliged to shout at all the news reports in a manner that suggests to the onlooker that you are thoroughly p***ed off with incompetence of those who profess to lead us. 

Until today. Until I set about tackling Module 3 of my Stumpwork course - hands, hats, heads and figures -  armed with these ingredients...


... in an attempt to fashion a pair of teeny, tiny and, it turns out, freaky looking hands. Thus:


This was the second attempt. I dare not show you the first attempt because it is imbibed with vibrations of stress, impatience, huffin’ and puffin’, mucho swearing, fiddle faddle and diddly doo, and I fear the photo I took for my portfolio evidence will leak this bad energy into your calm and peaceful evening/ morning/ afternoon/ whenever you are reading this. 

Anyway, by the tenth finger I was getting the hang of the darned technique. I had also earned a splitting headache what with all the squinting and fiddling about. Where are my delicate fairy hands when I need them? Or my third hand, come to that? I am hoping when I set about tackling my next pair tomorrow, I’ll make a better job of them and they won’t look quite like the knobbly desiccated remains of an Egyptian mummy.  

Anyway, I’m back in embroidery mode and I’m hoping to have Module 3 completed by mid-November, and Module 4 by the end of this year. Freaky mummified fingers crossed.

Andy has made sweet chilli jam! Finely crafted from the plethora of chillies we have grown this year, thanks to my foresight of planting the seeds in March rather than May, it is marvellous stuff! Our pickles and preserves cupboard is fit to bursting now. I’m still picking a good amount of raspberries so some jam might be on the horizon, but all the while they are good enough to eat as they are, that is what we shall continue to do. There is something about me that doesn’t like wasting a good, fresh raspberry in jam.

The cold frame is producing a good crop of salad leaves which I shall take a first picking from tomorrow. The final runner beans were picked yesterday, along with the grand total of two squash...sheesh...which will make a bowl of soup if I’m lucky. It’s not been the year for winter squash. Not round these parts anyway. Tomatoes are still coming. Cucumbers and courgettes have gone.

And I am on the second sleeve of the moss stitch jacket I am knitting! Annoyingly, I think I am going to run out of wool, despite buying an extra ball ‘just in case.’ This means I will have to visit the Wool Warehouse website to buy another. Only £2.20 but I get free delivery if I place an order over £25. What’s a girl to do, eh? Perhaps a spot of browsing? Maybe some fat quarters? Embroidery threads? Some more wool for another project? Sigh...it’s a hardship, but it has to be done...

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a delightful problem to have! Having to fill up your basket with lovely wool thingies or treads or ... You should knit a cabled cowl... If you are anything like me anything else seems a breeze (sp?) after that experience.
KJ
Anonymous said…
P.s your hand looks fantastic! Can’t wait to see the end result
KJ
Anonymous said…
Wow, that hand looks like very detailed work. Impressive. You have more patience than me!
Denise said…
KJ, it’s always a trauma having to shop for crafting bits and bobs when I don’t really need too! But I shall be brave and struggle through, no doubt...

Thank you, Anonymous! I’m going to attempt ‘pair 2’ today and see if I can make them a bit neater. If not, I shall call it a day and make sure in future that ALL of the Stumpwork figures I create wear mittens or have their hands firmly in their pockets!!
Anonymous said…
Oh! Stump work! Totally missed what it was and not at all familiar with it. Learned something new today.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.