Skip to main content

October Sun and The Winner Is....

 Of course, you know why we had a hot and sunny day today, don’t you? It’s because I’ve just placed an order for a huge pallet of Blazers Fire Logs, that’s why, because Monday was so chuffing cold I had to crank up the heating. It’s like washing the car will make it rain and letting the housework slide will make your mother drop by unexpectedly. Ah well, the logs needed ordering, because Winter will arrive before long and the wood burner will be called into action once more.

But what a glorious 1st October! It’s 5 p.m and I’ve just taken this photo from the side kitchen window...

Long shadows from the oak trees that form a green avenue along the road. And this one from the front kitchen window...

As you can see, the sun is appearing over the yard arm to the left (I’ve no idea what a yard arm is...something nautical, I believe) and will soon vanish into the horizon to the right, and the world will be dipped in twilight in another two hours or so. 
And this was taken from the back door...

Tootsie on the woodshed roof. I’ve no idea why he goes up there. He is one mad cockerel. 

Whilst I’m here, I shall pass final judgement on the Important Questions post of a couple of days ago. 

Question 1: soft boiled egg tops should be removed with the gentle tapping of a spoon and the gentle peeling of the shell from the egg. This ensures that no egg is wasted. Cutting the top off an egg means you will a) get bits of shell in your yolk and b) set my teeth on edge. Also, when you’ve eaten your egg - although I think I am in a minority company here given how many of you shared your disgust of one of the best foods known EVER - turn the empty shell upside down and bash it to smithereens with the spoon so the witches don’t steal it and use it as a boat.

Question 2: make tea in a teapot using loose leaf tea. Add milk to cup first, then strain tea into cup. Tea must be made using fresh water (no reboiling the kettle) and brewed for 4 minutes. Cup must be a suitable size and bone china. I shall not be argued with on this point. 

Question 3: Jam first, then cream. It’s the way the Queen does it, it’s the way Mary Berry does it, it’s the way I do it. End of. There seemed to be a popular consensus that cream is a butter replacement. I’ve given this some thought and the two, whilst chemically twins, are not mutually interchangeable. For example, you wouldn’t insert a pack of butter into a chocolate eclair just because you didn’t have any cream, would you? You would? Get out IMMEDIATELY you baking heathen! Just use butter on your scone if you want it, then jam, then cream. It’s not difficult. 

And given the only person who got 100% in the quiz was me, then I shall be star of the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Story this year. It’s either that, or Kenneth, the bloody Phantomime will be throwing his huge ego around AGAIN. 


Comments

aileen g said…
Hmmm - have you, the Queen, and Mary Berry ever been seen in the same room together? Just wondering (bows and backs out).
Anonymous said…
Well, good to know what to expect should I ever pop by for a proper cup of tea and a scone with cream and a dollop of jam! Never heard about smashing the egg shell but I will take that into consideration next time I boil a soft egg.
KJ
Denise said…
Aileen...well, I didn’t like to say anything...and, of course, we are all wearing well for our age....(tee hee!)

KJ, should you ever pop by, I shall make sure you receive the best of all hospitality! I’m not sure where the egg shell/ witch superstition came from but I remember doing it as a child. Maybe I made it up? Who knows? But, you know - bash away, just in case...
Anonymous said…
Ah but Denise, you are missing out on the bonus at the end ... eating the bit of egg white in the section you cut off with a knife! And yes, we always smashed our eggshells at the end (although never heard about witches; it was just for fun)

Yes, of course, only ever drink tea from bone china. In fact I only drink from bone or fine china. The pottery mugs are used to heat baked beans up in in the microwave!!

Looking forward to the Christmas production!

Hx
Denise said…
Have you ever read one of the Christmas productions, H? Are you sure you are looking forward to it?? As for scooping the little bit of egg from the top of a cut off shell - I can guarantee you I’ll get shell in it and that will set my teeth on edge. Now, the heating of the beans in a mug in the microwave? I don’t have a microwave so feel unqualified to comment, but do you put cheese on top? Just asking.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.