Skip to main content

My Business

Of course, it’s completely the wrong time to be starting a business, isn’t it, what with how the world is all higgledy piddledy at the moment? Or perhaps it is the right time? The ideal time, in fact, as people reassess their lives, and decide what is important, or valuable to them. Back at the beginning of this year my plan (hahahahahahaha...ha!) was to get my qualification in embroidery and then teach it as a subject. I have already ticked the teaching qualification box - I can plan and deliver a scheme of work, and run a qualification with the best of them - I would just be teaching a different subject, that’s all. And so I am motivated now to complete the qualification, aiming to do so by the end of this year.

And I wanted to incorporate writing into the equation somewhere. If the best selling novel contract is to remain elusive, at least I can teach writing and have some fun out of it that way. Add to the cauldron, too, mindfulness / relaxation/ slow living/ whatever else you want to call it, too, when we take time out to reset our mental buttons. A sort of mix and match service that blends together several elements of loveliness that resonate with me. Do you get what I mean? An alchemy of creative community welfare. Yes? 

Anyway, what with  all the stupid hoo-ha that’s been going on, the ‘don’t do this, don’t do that, stay there, put your life on hold indefinitely’ despite the fact that each day on hold is still a day closer to death, I’ve felt my enthusiastic plans wither on their baby vines, shot down by a sense of ‘what’s the point?’ and ‘this will never be allowed to happen.’ The new notebook folder I bought and started scribbling ideas in has been put to the bottom of the desk drawer and left untouched for months. 

But today - well, I don’t know if it’s that time of year when I start feeling optimistic about the future, as I usually do when my birthday approaches,  but today feels like the right time to hoik that notebook folder from the bottom of the drawer, reread all the notes I made, and continue onwards to making this ‘thing’ happen. (Note to Self: I need to find a name for this ‘thing.’ I can’t keep calling it a ‘thing.’) I  don’t know how I’m going to do this, let alone all the whys and wherefores involved, but I reckon I am at least ready to try. 

The place where I work is drawing up a plan for the New Way Forward in our small community. I keep thinking that I could offer something towards the building and development of that plan. It is niggling at me, a spark of something new. It’s there, that future of inspiration and hope. A spot of introspective thinking is required...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Only two words for you: Do it!
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, it’s got to be done!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.