Skip to main content

Dead Iron, Deadweight Logs

Here’s the latest set of stamps issued by the Royal Mail. Or is it the Post Office? I never know what to call it these days, the service that collects the post from the red boxes and then delivers it to wherever it is going, hopefully without too much diversion or delay. Anyway, aren’t they a lovely set...


I especially like the carder bee one, but then I have a huge soft spot for bumbles. I’d have one for a pet if I thought Bambino wouldn’t attempt to have it on toast for elevenses.

My iron died this morning. I had a modest pile of ironing to do, wouldn’t take long. So I made a Ninja dash to the supermarket for the minimal weekly shop, came home, made scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast and then thought, right, get this ironing done and out of the way. No such chance. Plugged it in. Dead as the fox I passed on my way home from the supermarket, lying prone on the grass verge, poor thing. 

Now, I don’t know how old this iron is, but it did have an old fashioned plug on it, you know, the ones from Ye Olden Dayes that you could take off and fiddle about with the insides. Out of interest, I checked the year when moulded plugs (i.e the ones stuck forever on the cord, so that once the plug dies, so does your appliance) became law and it was 1994! Well, I was rather surprised about that. Surely my iron couldn’t be in excess of 26 years old? I mean, it could well be because I don’t have a history of obsessive iron purchasing, nor can I remember the last time I DID buy an iron. Thinking back, because what else have I had to do with my time today, I can only remember owning 3 irons since I left home at the age of 19 - a stainless steel and black one which was lightweight and required a huge amount of muscle to make it even vaguely effective because it was non-steam, then the one I had before this one which was rather cumbersome and prone to leaking, and then this one, now deceased. Perhaps, then, this iron is 26+ years old. If so, bravo! If not, who cares? 

But it did mean I had to go out AGAIN to buy a new iron. I went to Argos, and was in and out within 2 minutes, despite the confusing ‘avoid the germs’ layout. I bought the equivalent model to the dead one, which transpired to be a violent pink that clashes terribly with my sensibilities. And then I nipped into Lidl, because I wanted to make the most of the unplanned trip, and purchased a sack of potatoes, a box of washing powder and some prawns. And some batteries. Came home. Did the ironing. 

And then the Blazers fire logs delivery arrived. 96 bags of 5 logs per bag = 1 tonne of stuff to shift. The delivery company (who were supposed to warn us of the delivery time but didn’t) were unable to drag the pallet over the new raised kerb that the council installed when they resurfaced the road back in Spring. The trolley lift was wholly inadequate to the job. So the driver left the pallet where it stood, which was half on the driveway and half out into the road. Which meant Andy and I had to remove the 96 bags of logs from the pallet and onto the drive as quickly as we could so the traffic obstruction was cleared before either of us got killed by the lunatic Audi drivers who frequent the road at speed. 

And once we had done that, we had to move the 96 bags AGAIN, up the drive and across the courtyard, to their new home in the woodshed. My goodness, but that was a workout and a half! Made me feel quite wobbly, it did, which reinforced the idea I really do need to up the exercise ante.

However, we now have enough fuel for the wood burner to last all Winter! And I won’t have to keep going in and out of B & M buying 5 bags of the things at a time. If they have them in stock, that is. 

Hurrah! 

(P.S I hope you stay dry this weekend. I hear we are in for a national soaking. Lids off the water butts, and all that!)



Comments

Vera said…
Those stamps are a work of art, hope your legs recover from all that lifting of wood sacks, and hooray for a cosy weekend ahead!
Anonymous said…
Firewood will do me in one of these days - the amount of times you move those around one way or another. First you take down the tree (not me - outsourcing that piece) then moving the rounds, then get it cleaved and put in situ, then moved a good portion of the cleaved wood into a dry area and then finally into where the woodstove is. I swear I can hear the firewood laugh at me. And don't even get me started on a poorly stacked wood stack that falls over and need restacking! But boy, is it lovely when the woodstove is full and ooze out that lovely heat on a cold winters day - it seems to take away the aches and pain of having to deal with it. Enjoy the security of a second source of heat this winter - you earned it.
KJ
Denise said…
The wobbly legs were short lived, Vera, thank goodness! And yes - we are in for a wet and windy weekend, so the logs have been very timely in their arrival. Wishing you a snuggly weekend, too. x

As ever, KJ, you are absolutely right in your assessment of the whole ‘wood for the burner’ malarkey, to which I’d like to add the word ‘splinters.’ However, it is one of the joys of the dark days of Winter, sitting in front of a fire. And so well worth the effort!
Anonymous said…
Heavy working gloves. Get the ones that workmen/women uses. Put them on your Christmas wish list! Speaking from experience they are worth their weight in gold.
KJ
Denise said…
Oh, I’ve got the gloves, KJ. But can I be bothered to wear them, that’s the question? 🤔

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.