Skip to main content

Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

 I ran today. I was at work, it was after lunch and the work gang and I were taking a post-lunch walk. The wind had whipped itself up to chilling proportions. The field ahead of me was very green, very open, downhill (which helped enormously) and only a little bit scattered with sheep poo. Okay, there was a lot of sheep poo but I was wearing my wellies so it mattered not.

And suddenly I had the urge to run! So I did! Arms spread wide, head back, I galloped, yes dear reader, GALLOPED, down that hill in my parka coat and wellies, and two of my walking companions galloped with me. We reached the bottom of the hill and for a brief moment I turned and thought, ‘And now I shall gallop back UP the hill to meet the rest of the group so I can gallop back down again!’ Yes, I think I suffered an endorphin rush....

But I didn’t run up again because a) I thought it best to pace myself, I mean it was straight after lunch - indigestion and all that - and b) the hill suddenly looked a lot steeper going up than it did coming down.

So I resisted the urge. Although really, in hindsight, I should have followed the urge. It’s a lesson I should apply to more of aspects of my life, I think. 

One day, though. One day. Running up that hill. Like Kate Bush. 

On the way home I popped into the supermarket for a quick Ninja Basket Shop. Got some potatoes. Found this. I present it to you as my happiness gift of the day...


A love heart potato! I also discovered it is very difficult to write on a potato. I had to use a black permanent marker pen in the end. Neither pen nor potato will ever be the same. 

Comments

aileen g said…
I hope you said "wheee" as you ran Denise. Where youngest used to live there was a very steep hill on the way and I used to go "wheee" every time I went down it in the car - even when I was on my own. In fact especially when I was on my own as if she was with me she used to sigh a bit. I'm not sure I would have risked running down it (even if I could) as I'm not sure I would have been able to stop. My poor little car (which cost me a small fortune last week in garage bills) struggled a bit going up the hill despite my encouraging "you can do it, keep going). Where she lives now is a lot flatter which is good for the car but not as much fun.
rusty duck said…
On the island of Praslin, in the Seychelles, you can buy a nut that shape. It’s called a Coco de Mer although it is somewhat larger and heavier than a potato. It is allegedly (I didn’t partake) an aphrodisiac.
Denise said…
Aileen, I believe that when driving down hills in cars it is obligatory to go ‘Wheeeeeeeeee!’ Isn’t it? Doesn’t everyone? Perfectly normal behaviour as far as I am concerned. As is encouraging our small cars up hills when they are puffing a bit. I remember going up a hill in my first car, a Mini 850, and being overtaken by a cyclist!! And my little car now needs a bit of cheerleading, but she does okay for an old lady!

I’ve seen these Coco de Mer, Jessica. And heard the tales behind them, too. Ooo-er, missus!! I suspect my potato will prove less exciting.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.