Skip to main content

Vision and Values

 I am pleased to announce that Youngest Granddaughter, Elizabeth, has won the ‘Christian Vision and Values’ award at her school for this week. What does this mean, one might ask? Is she destined to become clergy of some parish, a hip and trendy lady vicar, with her big pink glasses, crazy curly hair and penchant for all things unicorn and mermaid? 

Sheesh, I hope not. I mean, I am glad she has won the award because it shows she has displayed the qualities of kindness, helpfulness, caring for others and being an all-round good egg of a human being. No mean feat for a six year old, especially in this day and age. And I shall forgive her that she didn’t want to talk to me yesterday on the FaceTime because she was in a bit of a grump. All vicars-in-waiting have their off days. In fact, in my experience, some of them have more off days than your average lay person, but that is another story. However, I’m not sure being a vicar is her true destiny. 

Christian values are, I think, something to be encouraged, even if, like me, you grow up to be an atheist. I believe those values stay with you for life and inform your personal morals and ethics, even if you eventually decide that the idea of ‘God’ is nothing more than a myth. And you learn a sense of history, too, and the support a likeminded community can give to each of its members and often beyond.

I was christened as a baby. I still have the little bracelet given to me by my godmothers. I went to Sunday School and enjoyed collecting my weekly attendance stamp, and making Easter Gardens from a variety of garden debris and Christingles from often determinedly solid oranges. I went on to teach Sunday School, and had a phase in my late teens of attending church, staggering down Church Hill in a pair of strappy white high heeled sandals, goodness knows why but it might have had something to do with the eldest son of the vicar being a bit of a dish. I belonged to 1st Nettlestead Girls’ Brigade - happy times indeed. Both of my children have been christened. Second time around, I married a vicar’s son! 

In fact, it was all going swimmingly on the living as a Christian front until some point in my early forties when I was earnestly questioning the sanity of believing in an omnipotent being in the sky. Actually, I think my doubts started earlier than that, ironically when I was coerced into attending an Alpha Course before the incumbent vicar would allow Andy and I to marry in my parish church, the same church whose Sunday School and services I attended regularly as a child and a teen. Andy was exempt from the Alpha Course because he was a vicar’s son, another irony because Andy was atheist in persuasion way before I. 

Anyway, my lovely friend, Jane, volunteered to attend with me and all I remember is that we ate a lot of aubergine based meals and were in the ‘naughty’ discussion group who were based in the village hall side room after the initial ‘big talk’ of the evening. And it was those small group discussions that planted the seed of God belief lunacy in my mind. By the time I was early 40 something, I was confirmed atheist and have been ever since, although I am a) fully behind the idea of a Universal energy b) a believer in spiritual life beyond physical death, and c) continue to uphold the Christian values with which I was raised. 

I bemuses me how much death and violence in the world starts in the name of ‘God’ or whatever you want to call it. But then a lot of love and good stems from it, too. It is all too complex, too contradictory for me. And that is why I choose atheism, although really I would prefer to have no label at all. 

Bravo Elizabeth, though. It’s always rather special when a grandchild wins an award of any kind, isn’t it?




Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m with you, being atheist. But last I checked there was nothing in The Ten Commandments that I disagreed with. I might have to revisit them? I grew up with attending church only on December 24th and honestly only because everyone else in the village showed up and it created a nice celebration mood.
KJ
Denise said…
I think the Ten Commandments offer a sensible base for living life as a good human being, KJ. There’s lot to be recommended for the Bible as a teaching tool. But there’s a lot of tat in it, too. But then, I don’t think we should believe everything we read anyway, full stop.
Anonymous said…
😂 love your sensible ways are Denise!
Anonymous said…
P.S. I’m squarely blaming Apple for any spelling grammar or any grammatical mistakes I make!
KJ
Denise said…
I blame Apple, too, KJ. I also think autocorrect has delusions of grandeur.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

St George’s Day and The Bard’s Birthday!