Skip to main content

The Writer, The Wool and The Llama

 Look at this happy, serene little face!


During a super-Ninja supermarket shop this morning, I discovered this little lady in the middle of Lidl and decided she would come home with me and sit in my reading and meditation corner in the Zen Den. She has the most peaceful look on her face, doesn’t she? She tells me her name is Maud, which, when I looked it up, means ‘Powerful Warrior’ so I am glad to have her on my side. Full of calm yet with an edge of ‘but don’t mess with me.’ And yes, I know she is carrying another cactus and that I don’t like cacti, but that, my friends, is incidental.

The new landline phone arrived today, along with many balls of wool for the knitting of a short jacket pattern I found in a magazine. This is the wool...


...it’s green! I have never worn green. It’s not a colour that appeals to me to wear as I’ve always considered it best left to grass and trees, but I thought I’d give it a go - be more ‘tree’. It’s 100% wool, and not at all scratchy. Looks like it will knit up nicely. I shall leave the setting up of the phone to my technical support team a.k.a Andy. I shall relieve him of the duty of knitting up my jacket. This seems a fair division of labour to me. 

I knew the parcels were arriving this morning thanks to emails from the Royal Mail tracking service so I unlocked the front door, and left the hall door open ready to leap up and receive the parcels when the knock on the door came. I was sitting at the dining table having breakfast when I heard the post van arrive.   No knock. And then the delivery driver appeared in the courtyard, walked straight past me and deposited the parcels in the laundry on top of the freezer! She went back from whence she came and then I heard the letterbox clatter. She had posted a delivery card through it with ‘Left in the shed’ scribbled across the back! It appears, then, that the days of the friendly chat with the post office people has died a death. Drop it and run seems to be the new order of the day. Ah well.

I realised yesterday, whilst sitting in the Zen Den pondering on the purpose of being a writer, that it no longer matters that I’m not earning a living from my writing. All that matters is that I am writing and I am a writer. And I found this, from Anne Frank, which sort of says it all...


For if we have courage, we can do anything. Can’t we? Yes! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a writer. Period. End of story...or maybe not.
KJ
Vera said…
Your zen-room is coming along nicely, especially with the addition of the new cat!
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ! I don’t think the story will ever end.

I’m very happy with my Zen Den, Vera. It is, as you say, coming along nicely and is a lovely space to be.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.