Skip to main content

Posting Cards!

 Seriously, I have NO idea where today went. How I ever managed to work full time, I shall NEVER know. The beautiful weather continued on, so I chucked a load of washing in the machine first thing, and made some lemon buns for His Lordship Malarkey’s packed lunch before the kitchen grew too hot for baking. I then phoned my boss at the farm to give her an update on the previous two weeks because she has been on holiday, allowing me and my colleague chum to run riot managing the place in her stead. All was well, I hasten to add. We like to think we are renegades when left to our own devices, but we are sensible and organised renegades. 

Next job - a mass postcard writing frenzy. It has been on my ‘to do’ list for a couple of weeks now, and since the post lady delivered my recent order of 48 stamps this morning (to save me going into the post office, and boiling and panicking in a face covered queue) I cracked on and wrote 9 postcards plus a get well soon card. Sending postcards is a habit I indulged in a lot many years ago and it is one I am keen to resume.


And then I decided to post the haul today rather than wait until on my way home from work tomorrow. How dynamic is that?! There is a post box about 15 minutes walk up the road on the edge of the next village, so I thought, ‘I can get a half an hour of brisk walking in as well!’ 

Now, I’ve never seen this post box, but Andy has assured me it is there. He told me the location, so off I set, marching along in the sunshine, feeling jolly cheerful and at peace with the world. However, on approaching where I thought the post box ought to be, I could not find it. I wandered around a bit, up a side road, and then on to the little garage where I take my little car for its service, repairs and MOT etc. There, I dinged the bell in reception and duly the Mechanic Man arrived. 

‘Sorry to disturb you,’ said I. ‘But is there a post box nearby?’ 

‘There is,’ said Mechanic Man. ‘But it is hidden. I’ll show you...’

So out of Garage Reception we went and he pointed back up the road to the lay-by where I thought the post box should be but couldn’t see it. 

‘See that blue car?’ said Mechanic Man. ‘It’s behind that. Inside the hedge.’

I thanked him for his trouble and retraced my steps. 

And there, behind the blue car and inside the hedge, was the tiniest post box I have ever seen in my life! Who decides it is a good idea to locate a tiny post box INSIDE a hedge, for goodness’ sake?? 

This isn’t the actual postbox, but it is something very like it...

Tiny! In a HEDGE! 

Anyway, I posted the cards and went home, and over lunch I investigated the post box malarkey. It seems that once there had been a shop behind the post box, and at that point in time the hedge did not exist. So the post box, although tiny, was obvious to all. However, over time the shop closed and became a private residence, the homeowners grew a hedge along the border with the pavement, and the hedge grew up and up and enveloped the post box ergo, post box in a hedge! It’s all very simple once you know. 

I spent the afternoon entering a short story competition, chatting to Number 1 Son, eco-cleaning the oven (don’t ask), making a sausage casserole for Andy’s dinner, chatting to Number 1 Granddaughter on the FaceTime, writing another short story for a writing app I have joined and being cross because a First Novel for New Writers competition I found says I can’t enter ‘Clive and Min’ because I have published it on my blog! But I am thinking I can enter ‘Indigo Anscombe, Violet and Blue’ because NO-ONE has read that. Not a sausage. I also ordered myself two pairs of woolly tights - one fuchsia pink, one teal blue, and a short cord skirt, also in teal, and in the sales. Well pleased with THAT little splurge! 

And there is a new series of ‘Ghosts’ starting tonight at 8.30 on BBC 1. Perfect end to a pretty fab day.  


Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like fabulous day to me. I took the day off. Managed two repeats on a cowl that should be 84 inches when done. I’m at 15 inches. It will take a while. A friend of mine has challenged me to figure out to knit cabling. Actually excited about that.
Another comment about very little. Oh well.
KJ
Denise said…
An 84 inch cowl??? My goodness! What are you planning to do? Hibernate in it?? I’ve never tried cable knitting although I’ve been sorely tempted because it looks so good. Also, KJ, you need to know that ALL your comments are valuable to me. I like that we have these little blog chats!
Anonymous said…
It will be grafted in some form so about half the length? Maybe I should revisit the pattern so I don’t go over board in repeats. Now that would be a travesty! I really enjoy our chats too!
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, I just have visions of you being consumed by an enormous woolly worm. Never did I think I would have a knitting-related nightmare!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.