Skip to main content

Pizza, Punch, Rice and Cheese - a Foodie National Day

 National Day celebrations today focus mostly on food. It’s National String Cheese Day, for example....


This is string cheese. It is an abomination to cheese. Why would someone think to do THIS to cheese? In fact, I am willing to bet that this is NOT cheese. That it is something like recycled car tyres and plastic bags with 0.1% cheese added in order to appease the trade description people, then sprayed with gloss paint and marketed within an inch of its non-cheesy life as a fun way to eat cheese. It isn’t. Eat cheese properly, folks. I beg you. Cut from a block with a cheese knife and perched on a high quality cracker. Pickles optional. 

It is also National Fried Rice Day...


Marginally better than string cheese by virtue of it being sprinkled with vegetables and proteined up with egg. But my experience of fried rice is one of extreme stickiness whereby I believe the last time I ate some, circa 2003, the result has been there is still residue attached to my large intestine. Why cook rice, then fry it? That can’t be good on a molecular level, can it? 

National Punch Day next...


No, not the violent smack sort of punch much beloved of the boxing fraternity, but the drink punch. Be honest, you don’t know what’s in that bowl, do you? Not really. Okay, you can see the fruit, but the liquid? That could be ANYTHING. Probably is. I suspect people who present punch at a party do so only because it gives them an opportunity to empty the dregs of their drinks cabinet so they can have a good restock. For the sake of your eyesight, be cautious of the punch. That’s all I have to say. Other than punch bowls and their attached dinky cups and matching ladles are rather nice. But it is NOT National Punch Bowl Day. 

And then we move onto National Pepperoni Pizza Day.


I made a pizza for Himself Lord Malarkey for dinner yesterday. Homemade pizza. Not that 87 ingredients shop bought crap. No pepperoni either, because it is vile stuff and nobody should eat it if they have a modicum of respect for their circulatory systems. No, my pizza had a base made from flour, yeast, salt, oil and water. A topping made from homemade tomato sauce with added onions, basil and peppers. Then topped with courgettes, more peppers, chicken up the meat eater’s end and mozzarella. It was magnificent. 

And such was the enthusiasm and hurry with which Lord Malarkey attacked the eating of this pizza, his plate balanced on the arm of the sofa whilst watching TV, that the whole caboodle slipped and went base over apex onto the floor.

I tried not to think of the time and care I had lavished on the making of that pizza, because after all, accidents do happen. I thanked the Goddess of Housework that I’d cleaned the floor only that morning. And that it is a wood floor and not carpet. 

Therefore, and pertinently, I shall end today’s post by announcing that today is also National Wife Appreciation Day, and...

Just saying! 


Comments

Anonymous said…
String cheese. I once cut a thick slice of cheese for my daughter’s lunchbox. 1st grade. Cut it out with a cute cookie cutter shaped like a bear. Did she eat it!? No, ‘cause you know it wasn’t string cheese 🤦‍♀️
KJ
Denise said…
It’s a sad state of affairs when a child chooses string cheese over a cute Cheddary bear, isn’t it, KJ? Wouldn’t have happened in MY day, that’s for sure!
Anonymous said…
She, thankfully, is somewhat reformed now and proud of making us a weekly meal or two from scratch with actual food ingredients.
Phew!
KJ
Denise said…
The child is redeemed! Hurrah, KJ - hurrah!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.