Skip to main content

Nothing But Waffle

I have absolutely NOTHING to blog about today. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. But, because I am a writer and I am making myself blog every day as a discipline in writing, I am going to blog SOMETHING. You are excused boots if you wish to exit, stage right, now and go and do something more stimulating, like cleaning off the burnt on grease on that enamel pie dish. 

So, today. Went to work on the care farm. Wasted a lot of time standing in the sunshine watching the new piglets that were born a week ago. They are tiny, and a variety of colours and spottiness. They are VERY naughty and highly entertaining, racing around in their paddock, scratching themselves, chasing each other like puppies, being horribly revolting sticking their noses in each other’s pees and poos. A total waste of time, but ambrosia for the soul. 

A representative from Morrison’s supermarket dropped by the farm with a bag of doughnuts for us, which, because I am a cynic, I believed to be a bribe to prevent us jumping shopping ship and going to the new Aldi that has opened today less than half a mile up the road. The doughnuts were lovely but I’m not susceptible to meagre bribes. 

Even though it was yesterday’s news, today I still find myself incensed that Zoe Ball, Radio 2 breakfast presenter, is paid an insanely enormous salary by the BBC. I don’t know if I feel more annoyed at her for her over-zealousness and touchy-feely emotional neediness, or the BBC for being fool enough to think she is worth it. What a waste of licence fee money. Pah and bah to it all. 

I have embarked on knitting my short jacket. It is going to take ages because it is moss stitch, which is k1 p1 all the way through so I shall likely turn boss-eyed with the back and forthness of it. 

A friend and I are considering starting an art and craft group. One of those ‘Knit and Natter’ things. But we want it to be more sophisticated, and with a defined purpose and value. Not as deep and sincerely purposeful as, for example, the W.I, but more so than just another excuse to sit around eating cake. 

Had a lovely FaceTime chat with Oldest Granddaughter Kayleigh. We faffed about exchanging amusing on-screen filters and cartoons then I challenged her to put as many scrunchies as she could in her hair. She put ten onto one lock - she has beautiful long curly hair - and I expressed my admiration and said she should go to school like it tomorrow and be a trend setter. I am discovering that being a Gran to an older grandchild is growing into a very special thing. 

I can’t believe it is almost the weekend again. Where on Earth is this year going? 

Today is National Apple Dumpling Day. 

This is an apple dumpling. I think it must be an American thing, a sort of rounded ball version of what we, in England, call an apple pie. 

I am feeling deeply underwhelmed by the approaching short version of this year’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ series. Therefore, in order to save time and also being riled by the most annoying panel of judges  EVER, I have already chosen my winner, and will vote for them without bothering to watch the show. I might watch the Christmas Special. If we are allowed to have Christmas this year, that is. Don’t get me started on that one. 

That’s it. Even I am growing bored now. Bless you for lasting this long, if indeed you have. May you find an unexpected surprise in your winter coat pocket. A five pound note, maybe. Or a forgotten bar of chocolate. Gone on, you can eat it. Ignore the use by date. It’ll be fine.






Comments

Anonymous said…
I don’t think I have seen apple dumpling done this way. Last I did apple dumplings I cut up the apple in pieces, dunked them in batter and fried them. Any other way to do apple dumplings?
KJ
aileen g said…
I sort of have a vague memory of my auntie doing something similar when I was little but as her pastry wasn't very nice I probably wouldn't have eaten it. We just used to core a cooking apple and fill the middle with sugar and sultanas then bung in the oven. You had to cut the peel round the middle as well to stop it exploding.
Denise said…
I have never dumpled an apple in my life, KJ. Pied and crumbled, yes. Dumpled, no. But I have certainly made baked apples รก la Aileen’s recipe. A lovely pudding. I also add cinnamon to the sultana and sugar mix.
Athene said…
No, I think it’s a British thing, I definitely had them as a child. It’s an apple, cored and stuffed with sultanas as I recall, and then wrapped in pastry and baked. Has to be eaten with custard, obviously.
Denise said…
Well, Olly - now I feel I had a deprived childhood because my baked apple never came wrapped in pastry! Perhaps I should rectify this horror today, and make apple dumplings for Sunday dinner? But there will be NO custard. Custard is an abomination that runs a very close second to the Devil’s food that is rice pudding. Eurgh....!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.