Skip to main content

Jackie

 


This is my little sister, Jackie. She died almost 28 years ago on 12th December 1992 from a rare bone cancer, Ewing’s Sarcoma. Today would have been her 50th birthday. 

I can’t imagine her being 50. I bet she would still have bright auburn curls, though. Not a hint of grey in sight. I imagine that she would be living on a canal boat somewhere, earning a living from crafting beautifully intricate silver jewellery. She had patience and an eye for detail. 

She was an artist - a painter and sculptor. She rang the bells at our village church. The bell chimes were updated the year she died and they are dedicated to her memory. As soon as she passed her driving test she drove her Fiat Panda into the back of tractor trailer. When she was a child, all knitted items were declared to be ‘scratchy’ and if she didn’t want to eat something she would say her teeth were puffed out. Because of her long hair she earned the nickname ‘Dougal’ after the dog from ‘The Magic Roundabout.’ In later years, she was ‘Jack.’

One day, when she was ill, I made her scrambled eggs on toast. She said, ‘They’re not as good as the ones Mum makes.’

I still have her teddy bear. The last birthday card she gave me, all wobbly handwriting. The last present. A couple of her art works. 

I can still feel the sting of the slap around the back of my leg I got when I helped myself to a couple of her Smarties. I was 8, she was 3. 

The familiarity of her voice has long since faded. Most of our childhood memories together, too. It was a privilege to be with her when she died at 3.05 in the morning which, I believe, was the same time that she was born.

Happy 50th Birthday, Jackie! Wherever you are. Although I expect, after 28 years, you have been recycled by now. You’re probably a teenage rebel leading marches to save Planet Earth, or other similar malarkey. And I bet you are doing it wearing that ridiculous fancy dress clown outfit you had. 


Comments

aileen g said…
What a lovely way to remember your sister, Denise - she sounds as if she was a real character. Treasure your memories. x
Athene said…
That’s a lovely tribute to Jackie. The memory of her voice may have faded, but you will never forget the way she made you feel. I’m sorry you didn’t get the chance to spend longer with her, and to develop your bond with her as adults - my sisters (while they can drive me mad very quickly by knowing EXACTLY which buttons to press!) are very dear to me. Thank you for sharing your memories of her.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing
KJ
Denise said…
Thank you all, ladies, for your kind words.
Vera said…
I remember your family taking me to visit your sister in hospital. I always remember her being a very bright light even though she was so ill. You must miss having a sister. I never had one, but I still miss not having one!
Denise said…
She was a bright light, Vera. And probably still is, somewhere!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.