Skip to main content

Dignitaries

We had visiting dignitaries at the farm today. On being presented to the local Mayor, the service user with whom I was working said, ‘All right, mate?’ Fortunately, the Mayor seemed a chap of kind humour and not at all hoity toity, as he smiled and replied, ‘Yes mate, I’m all right.’ 

The Mayor was accompanied by a lady High Sheriff. Or maybe the lady High Sheriff was accompanied by the Mayor, I really don’t know the correct hierarchy of these things. Anyway, I was disappointed she wasn’t wearing chaps, Stetson and spurs, with a massive star pinned to her tasselled suede waistcoat, and toting a pair of pistols in a low slung holster. Oh, she looked very nice, don’t get me wrong, in her smart black suit and a rather fetching hat garnished with a large ostrich plume, but I do feel she missed a comedy trick there. 


This is the Lady High Sheriff of Shropshire. I do not know her name. 

They didn’t stay long. And I was far more impressed by the visit we had last Thursday from Morrison’s because they presented us with doughnuts. If I was a High Sheriff or Mayor(ess) I would take cake with me on all my visits. I am very much of the opinion that one should never make visits empty handed. Did I ever tell you that a great-uncle of mine on my mother’s side was High Sheriff of Canterbury. For three terms! So it could happen. It might be genetic. 

Moving on. Autumn Equinox today. Now, I’ve always been of the impression that equinoxes and solstices take place on the 21st of their respective months, and not the 22nd, but the calendars and diaries suggest otherwise. Never mind, the Autumn Equinox is here and the nights are drawing in now, there is no denying it. There is a definite sharpness to the air. Early morning mists. I expect the first frosts won’t be long in appearing, which reminds me - I need to bring in some houseplants from the courtyard where they have been enjoying the outside sun and rain, because I don’t want to go out one morning and find them done to death by a sudden cold snap. 

Leaves are descending from the trees. It won’t be long before I have to embark on the Great Leaf Sweep Up 2020, but at least this year they will be going straight into the new raised beds in our current gardening project to produce several tonnes of beautiful compost before the new growing season 2021. Andy brought home three large sacks of horse manure this evening, donated by a work colleague. Well, their horse to be precise. 

And that’s it today. Just a bit of generally waffle. A good day. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love a good waffle. Keep waffling!
KJ
Anonymous said…
Like you I think she missed a good joke. She would have looked more impressive with a Stetson etc. Still haven’t figured out what a High Sheriff does?
KJ
Denise said…
I tell you what she doesn’t do, KJ - and that is turn up to official visits with a bag of doughnuts!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.