Skip to main content

Daily Prompt

Last week, in order to continue pushing and motivating Myself, The Writer, I downloaded an app called ‘Daily Prompt’ which sends a writing suggestion every day to be completed within 24 hours. The basic app is free - of course, you are nudged to ‘upgrade’ in order to reveal the full glories the app has to offer, but I am more than happy with the freebie version. Once you’ve completed a writing prompt task - up to 500 words - you can upload it, share it, and it can be read and commented upon by other app users. Early days, but promising thus far. There are also little competitions to enter. The prizes are in U.S dollars so I am guessing the app is American. No matter. 

Today was Day 5 for me. So far I have completed four 500 word mini stories. I set myself an hour to write them, and a couple of them have been a close run panic to meet that deadline, but I don’t want to spend more than an hour a day on this kind of exercise, and if I take a fancy to something I write, I can always return to expand on it in my own time, can’t I? Day 5 today, and cor blimey if it isn’t...

I’m afraid my poetry attempts are the sort of stuff you find in sentimental birthday cards. All ‘tum-te-tum-te-tum’ kind of stuff. I don’t think I have the depth of soul to write what I call ‘proper’ poetry. I like a bit of poetry, don’t get me wrong, and I’ve certainly taught enough of the stuff over the years to understand the processes, techniques and procedures, but ultimately I am a novelist and script writer, not a poet. 

Anyway, today’s prompt was: ‘Write a poem about a place which makes you feel nostalgic.’ Well! I almost fell at the first hurdle there and then because I’m not hugely into nostalgia either. If I come over all nostalgic it is usually a sign I am feeling miserable, so I do my darnedest to knock that on the head P.D.Q.

However, after a little thought and a kick up the creative arse by my creative guardian angel, I came up with this. I couldn’t think of a suitably witty title. It is called, simply, ‘With Gran and Grandad

 Grandad's picking long green beans,

Gran is making pies.

I’m sitting in their garden

Spotting cloud shapes in the skies.

 

The borders of their garden

Are rose-filled, scented sweet.

Privet hedges neatly clipped,

Lush grass beneath my feet.

 

Grandad tends chrysanthemums,

Gran’s collecting eggs.

I’m running with their poodle

Getting sun upon my legs.

 

The poodle’s name is Ringo,

Eyes are button bright.

Coat all curls and fluffiness,

Black as darkest night.

 

Outhouse room is dark and cool,

Harvest to be stored.

Spending time in this place

I’m never, ever bored.

 

In the van with Grandad,

Delivering fruit and veg

Out and around the country lanes

And fields all edged with hedge.

 

I’m standing side by side now,

I’m baking cakes with Gran!

Tarts and scones and fruit loaves,

Victoria sponge with jam.

 

Grandad chats with customers

In the farm yard shop.

Gran cooks up some beetroot

And sells it piping hot!

 

Always time and patience.

Always peace and calm.

Always happy memories

On Gran and Grandad’s farm.

 

 


Comments

aileen g said…
That's lovely Denise - I can picture it all - and it doesn't need a "witty" title in my opinion, simplicity sometimes has a big impact.
Squished foot managed to trigger cellulitis so am currently on week 2 of antibiotics and feeling a bit sorry for myself. I can't seem to put my mind to anything for more than about 5 minutes at a time and feel shattered but can't seem to "drop off" easily. Hoping normal service will be resumed shortly (well, maybe normal is a relative term).
Anonymous said…
This is brilliant, Denise - I can picture it as well. Aileen, sorry about your cellulitis, hoping for a speedy recovery.
KJ
Denise said…
Oh Aileen! I’m sorry to hear that your foot is still giving you trouble. I do hope the antibiotics do their thing with suitable speed and you can find your old self again. Sending happy healing thoughts your way. x

And thank you both, ladies, for your kind comments about the poem. It gave me happiness to write it. I was very fond of my Gran and Grandad. They were a big part of my childhood. x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.