Skip to main content

Well, do you?

 One of the greatest joys of cake making is the ritual of ‘Cleaning Out The Bowl With Your Finger’ once the main body of the cake mixture has been deposited in its baking receptacle. Isn’t it? Yes? 

(I just need to define ‘mixture’ here - mixture = butter, sugar, eggs and flour plus flavouring, for example lemon, orange, marmalade, nuts, chocolate, cocoa, dried fruit, not dried fruit, smushy vegetables etc etc blah, blah, blah according to your end cake requirements. Mixture does NOT mean one of those supermarket packet cake mixes to which one apparently adds milk and/or eggs, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never used them. NEVER. This kind of cake mixture is heresy, and if it is the kind of mixture you use, then I would politely ask you to stand in the corner over there, and not return until you have repented your heinous cake making ways.) 

Oh yes, one of my earliest memories at the elbows of my cake making relatives was the opportunity to ‘lick out the bowl’ at the end of the mixing session, which was greeted with enormous glee and bid goodbye with a very sticky finger. And never once have I been poisoned by ingesting raw egg. 

However, according to my much respected, aged and beloved Auntie Pollie, one should use a spatula with which to clean the bowl post cake-mixing and NOT one’s finger. And this I discovered only recently when, during a FaceTime, I was telling her that during a kitchen drawer clean out, I discovered 5 spatulas, none of which I had purchased, so I hadn’t a clue how they ended up in my drawers. 

‘Never purchased a spatula?’ said Auntie Pollie. ‘How do you clean out your mixing bowl?’ 

I waggled the forefinger of my right hand at her. She pulled a face, and I reckon if she’d have been within arm’s length, she’d have smacked me. Fortunately, she was 240 miles away. 

‘You should use a spatula,’ said she, making me feel like I had no choice in the matter. ‘And you’ve got 5 from which to choose!’

As it happened, I had whittled my inadvertent spatula collection down to 2, and one of those has subsequently gone to live with my daughter. We are a single spatula family now. This morning, I made a marmalade cake, and decided to employ the lone spatula, which I remembered being a birthday gift from a friend.

...and thanks to Auntie Pollie’s sage advice, once I had deposited the cake mix into the tin, and cleaned out the bowl with my finger, I found I could glean MORE scrummy raw cake mixture from the bowl by using the spatula! 

So I licked that, too! 

‘Fess up, then. Who else licks their cake bowl? 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I lick the spatula. Does that count? There is nothing like the taste of uncooked cake mix. Takes me right back to childhood.

My niece who is an absolutely brilliant baker once made a packet mix cake because she was in a hurry, She said she has never had so many compliments on the quality of her sponge cake.
Anonymous said…
Sorry - that was me, Olly - don’t know why it’s come up as ‘anonymous’
Denise said…
As long as you consume the raw cake mix, Olly, yes it does count! As for the high praise given for the packet cake mix, well, all I can say is that the taste buds of the Great British Public have been seriously tainted. I’m glad I was sitting down when you conveyed the news. (P.S The ‘anonymous’ thing might be because of the new and annoying Blogger interface. Unless, of course, you are undertaking undercover activities in the West Wing of MMM. Again.)
aileen g said…
Bowl and spatula licker here too Denise, although now our plethora of family birthdays is over for the time being there's not much chance of either. My youngest made me a gorgeous, huge, chocolate cake for my birthday and said it could be frozen in single portions. Well, 2 portions have made it into the freezer as I have started a new tradition of cake for breakfast (and afternoon tea) on the day after one's birthday -I think it could catch on.
Denise said…
Cake in the freezer? In the FREEZER?? It would never happen here, I’m afraid. But I applaud your new tradition of cake for breakfast, Aileen. What a marvellous idea! Bravo, that birthday lady!! (I wonder, should we consider having 2 birthdays a year, like Her Maj the Queen? Two birthdays = two cakes. Just a thought...)
aileen g said…
Hmm, 2 birthdays a year? As long as you don't get old twice as quick (it's already going too fast for my liking). Maybe if we "add one, subtract one" that would work - then we could stay the same age forever. Not sure what age I would pick to "stick" at though.
Denise said…
I’ve sometimes considered which would be the best age to be ‘stuck’ at, Aileen. Sometimes I think late thirties, and sometimes I think 54, which is where I am now. And sometimes, 10. These ages might be linked to the times I’ve felt happiest in my life. Mostly though, I think I’d like to be a cat. Especially one that lives in my house!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.