Skip to main content

It’s All Been Happening

 It’s been an eventful week. Nothing much in the Grand Scheme of Things but I certainly haven’t been bored. Firstly, I’ve been embracing the internet shopping, as I have decided that visits to real time shops (excepting the supermarket for my Ninja-style visits) are off the life menu until face coverings are no longer mandatory. I can’t be doing with it - the anxiety, panic, heat ‘n’ sweat-inducing malarkey of it all. Especially when the efficacy of wearing the damned things is constantly being called into question. 

So, this week I’ve been at home to the delivery vans which have duly deposited ‘pon my doorstep: 7 sacks of cat litter, 308 postcards, two lovely notebooks and a new laptop case which was in a sale. The mass purchase of postcards is for me to send people as a keep-in-touch-spot-of-sunshine thing...


...the notebooks are because I am a Writer and notebooks are one of my very favourite things EVER. The laptop bag is for when I want to tote the laptop around in something light, instead of my current hefty leather satchel, and the cat litter is for the cats to poo and piddle in. 

I have opened a savings account. Whilst savers aren’t exactly being encouraged these days with the woeful interest rates, our bank account gives us diddly squat, so I am shifting most of what we have in there into the new savings account. I’m hoping to be able to purchase something exciting with the accrued interest this time next year - a book of 12 stamps for my postcard sending, maybe, or a pot plant. It’s either that, or I buy a new car. Which I thought I wanted to do (my little blue car is nearly 10!) but as I’ll have to wait until I can visit showrooms sans face mask, then savings account it is. 

An appointment with our chimney sweep who looks like Father Christmas has been booked so that our flue might be cleansed before the chilly days arrive. We were supposed to be having a cold Bank Holiday weekend and whilst it is a bit windy, there is sunshine and clear blue skies, so no cracking open the logs and firefighters just yet. I’ve had a couple of wet and windy days at work. On one, I ended up on a tyre swing. Apologies for the quality of the photo - one, it was wet and windy and two, my colleague is a terrible photographer...


One of our service users insisted on pushing me around on the tyre swing. This made me feel nauseous. It was like the Chair-O-Plane incident all over again. Only I didn’t have to pay £1.50 for the privilege. 

On Friday, we made a trip to Lancaster because Andy’s mum managed to fall over and break her femur in three places. Her femur, not that she fell over 3 times in 3 different places. Don’t be difficult, please.  Of course, we weren’t allowed to visit her on the ward, so we bought some magazines and left them at hospital reception. We also visited his dad as an act of familial support. He wasn’t in hospital, so that was okay. I think. The journey up was fine. The journey back was hideous because of an accident on the M6. Fortunately, we came off the motorway with 100 yards to spare (cutting across 4 lanes of stationary traffic) and continued home across country via the scenic route. Just as well, because I think otherwise we might still be stuck on Junction 20a. We had fish and chips for dinner. Which was very nice but which also made me feel sick. I think my weight loss and ramped up healthy eating campaign is making me junk food intolerant. Is that a ‘thing’? Can I make it a ‘thing’? ‘Oh no, I couldn’t possibly eat from your junk food emporium - it’ll make me blow up like a balloon.’

I have been exploring potential venues to set up a crafting group. I’ve had another declutter of the drawers and cupboards. I’ve been picking cucumbers, tomatoes, plums, blackberries and apples from the garden...


We have lots of cucumbers. But they are jolly lovely and are excellent fodder for my continued weight loss journey. 

Busy week, you see. And busier weeks to come, I think...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, it’s a thing. Remember this feeling for next time you get tempted, she said and failed miserably herself.
KJ
Denise said…
Been there many times myself, KJ. I feel your pain...

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.