Skip to main content

Hair Do, Shopping Don’t

 I braved the hairdresser last week. It’s been 6 months since my last visit and there is only so much D.I.Y fringe cutting my face can tolerate before ‘the look’ goes cock-eyed. Hated the face covering requirement, hated the lack of the usual cup of tea, biscuit and chit chat, hated being squirted with so much hand sanitiser I needed mopping up with multiple tissues. The cost had gone up £5, too. Presumably to cover the expense of the discomfort. A big length chop was swiftly executed to form a short, layered bob. Think Edna Mode from ‘The Incredibles,’ only white locks. Like this...

Anyway, not enough to put in plaits or bunches now, but a blessing in this recent hot weather. 

The granddaughters are here at the moment, and today we went to Shrewsbury for a girlie shop. What a dire experience. Many shops closed either temporarily or permanently. Many unavailable for spontaneous visits because they are small, independent places that were operating appointment only ‘shopping experiences’. People glaring at each other for wearing face coverings/ not wearing face coverings/ getting too close/ not moving fast enough/ moving too slowly/ whatever. Grumpy, dictatorial shop workers. Except the chap in ‘The Entertainer’ toy shop where Small Granddaughter was joyfully spending all her birthday money before cheerfully announcing she was ‘now broke!’ He was nice. But then he wasn’t wearing a face covering so had the gift of freedom upon his personage.

The experience not helped by the addition of heavy rain showers. Which meant we spent a lot of time in shopping centres. Which meant I was required to wear a face covering. Which left me hot, sweaty, heart racing, panicky, unable to breathe, and all the while trying not to show my discomfort because I did not want to upset my granddaughters. The eldest asked a couple times, ‘Gran, are you okay?’ to which I replied, all false cheerfulness, ‘Yes, I’m fine!  Don’t worry about me.’

I donned a face covering to walk twenty paces up a corridor in Shrewsbury Museum to reach the coffee shop. Where I was ‘allowed’ to remove my face covering because we were eating and drinking. So sitting still, in an enclosed space, for half an hour. And then I was ‘required’ to replace the face covering to walk the twenty paces to the exit. It really does not make sense to me. But we got lots of cake and drinks for half price thanks to the ‘Eat Out To Help Out’ government scheme. Which is really helpful in my attempt to reach a healthy weight, as we are being urged to do. Which does not make sense. How about sponsoring half price fruit, veg and fish instead? Eh? 

I shall not be going shopping again (except for brief dashes around the supermarket for food) until face coverings are no longer mandatory. I shall buy anything else I need on-line and have it delivered. I don’t need much. 

Except for things to make sense. 

Comments

Vera said…
Glad you enjoyed your trip out with the two girls, but not so good seeing the dismal plight of what used to be a thriving town. We shall be going into Shrewsbury soon, but only to find where the Nationwide is. We shall not be going into any shops. Like you, we shall buy on line. We also do not need much, .......

Will miss the bunches!
Denise said…
I hope Shrewsbury recovers itself, Vera.It’s such a lovely town. And I expect the bunches will make a gradual reappearance, if only because there is no way I’m paying the new salon tariffs to keep the short bob neat and tidy!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.