Skip to main content

Elephant in the Room, Coffins in the Garden

And here it is! An elephant, literally, in the room...
I made it a few days ago, goodness knows why because I’ve always considered knitting to be an Autumn/ Winter activity. But when the urge comes upon one to break out the needles and use up a ball of random grey wool (can’t remember why I bought it because, well, you know me and grey) then it cannot be ignored. I think what it was, was that I’d been wrangling with ‘Clive and Min’ and quite often I find that when I have partaken of a lengthy writing session, I need to faff around with something practical to help my mind to sift through what I’ve just penned and sort out the good from the bad, the ugly and the plain idiotic, like, for example, having Min eating a custard cream. She would NEVER do that. 

Anyway, elephant was duly knitted in the space of two days, and has since been joined by a companion in pale grey with blue and pink ears. That one is currently in the studio, and as I am comfortably ensconced on the sofa in the living room, I cannot be arsed to go and fetch it for a photo shoot. And then I thought it would be quite nice if they had a baby elephant, so I started that yesterday. In a mid grey. I really cannot comprehend how I’ve amassed all this grey wool. Sigh....

We had a large delivery of timber a couple of weeks ago and Andy has since transformed three quarters of it into these...
....no, not enormous coffins, in which I can ‘lose’ the unfortunate bodies of my enemies. They are raised beds, you fools, for the growing of vegetables within upon the Damson Cottage estate in 2021, if we are still around post- Zombie apocalypse. As you can just see, the location of the Eglu (blue blob in the right hand corner next to the upturned rust bucket wheelbarrow) has stopped play, with two more still to be created in order to bring the grand total to eight. However, from where I was stood to take the photo, I reckon we could fit in another row of four, easy peasy. Best not push my luck, though, as I’ve put in a request for a square bed, twice the height of these, to be installed in order that I can start off a new rhubarb crown. So far, rhubarb production chez nous has been very poor and our plant has finally been oppressed by a gooseberry bush that is intent on becoming the Biggest Gooseberry Bush in the World, so it is time to start anew on the rhubarb front. I love rhubarb. This year, I have felt rhubarb bereft. 

Of course, now we have the job of filling the raised beds with lovely compost. Our new compost bins are doing a sterling job, but there is no way they’ll provide eight beds’ worth of compost volume so I’m on the lookout for other sources. It’s going to be the winter project, filling those beds. Luckily, our garden provides tonnes of leaf mould, and Andy has been hedge trimming now all the birdies are fledged, and the wood chipper has been working overtime. I was sitting in the hammock yesterday afternoon watching a bunch of wrens running amok in the back hedge. Chaotic, it was. Charmingly chaotic. Like a swathe of little mice darting in and out of the greenery. So many baby birds this year, of all shapes and species. Wonderful! 

I hope you enjoyed the long awaited next episode of ‘Clive and Min.’ There shall be more this week. And then the baby elephant shall be completed. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Gooseberries, you have gooseberries!? Oh the envy! We are trying to grow rhubarb from seeds this year. We have 5 plants so far. We do have a mature plant that we will split as well. I love rhubarbs as you might be able to tell. Love your raised bed set up. Looking forward to read all about it
KJ
Denise said…
We do have gooseberries, KJ. I have 6lbs in the freezer now! As for raising rhubarb from seed - well, you are a braver woman than I! However, I should be happy to know how successful you are. It’s an interesting project. I shall pick up a new rhubarb crown in the Autumn, I think. The lazy way out...🙂
Anonymous said…
Don’t worry, I have outsourced that to the husband. He checks the vegetables development hourly. 🙄 Btw the elephant is the reason why you have lovely gray yarn lying around. She is just gorgeous. If I lived closer I would come by and exchange your gray yarn with something maybe more your style and a chocolate cake. One must always bring chocolate cake.
KJ
Denise said…
Chocolate cake, KJ? That seems more than a fair exchange for grey wool. The deal is done! I’m working my way through my grey wool excesses by knitting elephants. I haven’t considered what to do with the elephants...🤔
Anonymous said…
Sell them - make your creativity pay the bills. Better to have a lot of small streams float into the river.

KJ
Denise said…
Do you know, KJ, I like that ‘stream/ river’ analogy. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.