Skip to main content

16 Years Later

 Himself Lord Malarkey and I celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary today. The weather is hot. It was hot sixteen years ago, too. Boiling, especially if one is carting around a full on meringue wedding dress or a full on frock coat ‘n’ waistcoat combo. But it was a fab day nonetheless. We took ourselves out for lunch at a little bistro place in town (today, not sixteen years ago. Sixteen years ago it was full on hot and cold buffet in a massive marquee overlooking the Kent countryside with a jazz band playing and games on the lawn) to celebrate our wax anniversary (Andy bought me a candle making kit so that’s my next foray into the world of ‘Crafts I Have Not Tried Before) and then we came home and melted. Appropriate for it to be the wax anniversary, then.

I did manage a bit of gardening before deciding a retreat to the shade would be sensible. And a bit of housework, too, because tomorrow, Dearest Daughter and Son-in-Law are arriving for a few days of holiday, provided their cat ceases its production of hair balls. Don’t ask. I haven’t seen Dearest Daughter in person since before Christmas last year. And the week after next, the Dearest Son and Daughter-in-Law, and the Darling, Darling Granddaughters are arriving for a visit. And I haven’t seen them in person since this time last year. All too long ago. So I am glad the weather looks set to perk up a bit.

This week I ordered online for delivery (I am avoiding shops, I’m afraid, because of the whole suffocating and panicking behind a face covering thing) a couple of new tops and a new skirt to accommodate the ever- shrinking me. Almost 23lbs down now and still plodding onwards. I am tantalisingly close to the next stone bracket and the weight I was when I was 18! It’s keeping me powering on. Andy has decided to revamp his diet, too, and has chosen the Mediterranean approach, which involves nuts. He declares all nuts to taste of sawdust but is determined to eat the recommended three portions a week because they are ‘good for me.’ He has opted for the hazelnut as his nut of choice because he reckons he is going to track down some hazel trees in the wilds and wrangle squirrels for their spoils. Seriously, that’s what he said this morning as he was knocking back the shop bought variety (nuts, not squirrels) with swigs of coffee chasers and pulling the face of someone who is being forced to ingest sawdust. 

It’s all good fun! I also bought a new rug as a starting point for redecorating the back bedroom which should, by rights and according to my start of 2020 plans, be completed by now, ready to receive visitors in style. But it isn’t, and as the carpet is old and revolting the rug is a temporary measure to jazz things up a bit until I can set about the renovation properly. Flora and Bambino are already doing their best to wreck the rug. Bloody cats.

I’ll leave you with some wedding photos. I had a nostalgic roam through the albums. Happy memories! 





Comments

aileen g said…
Best wishes to you both on your anniversary. Well done on the weight loss too. My (admittedly lacklustre) efforts have stalled somewhat but there have been so many family birthdays in July and August (obviously no tv to while away the colder months all those years ago) and it would be rude to refuse birthday cake wouldn't it - even at a distance?
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! Fab photos!
KJ
rusty duck said…
Happy Anniversary both xx
Denise said…
Aileen, refusal of birthday cake is the largest of social faux pas. Well done you, for maintaining such high standards of etiquette!

Thank you both, KJ and Mrs Duck!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.