Skip to main content

The Embryonic Non-Conformist

I continue to edge along with life, feeling a bit on the periphery of the main action and seriously considering the life of the recluse ever more beguiling. As time floats by I am realising I need very little to be happy and usefully employed. And that life for me is to be quite different as I grow more into the role of the non-conformist. The quiet inner voice is asking more ‘whys?’ It is seeing less reason to live life how I used to, as a well behaved citizen who did as she was told, staying within the white lines of ‘normal’ because that is what was expected. The quiet voice is getting used to saying, ‘No.’ The quiet voice is encouraging the dipping of the toe into the waters of doing what I bloody well want to and in my own time, following my own rules.

But not on Saturday! Before you think I’ve gone a bit sinister (I haven’t, but having re-read that first paragraph, I gave myself a bit of an edgy shiver!) - on Saturday, I was out with my new chum exploring the new venture in Market Drayton called, ‘The Walking Craft Fair.’ Only we didn’t walk it, we drove it because it was hissing down with rain. Anyway, this new social venture was born last month. Twenty four local art and crafter types decided to set up their stalls in their own front gardens (presumably because all their usual craft fair outlets have been cancelled in this current state of lunacy) in order to sell their wares. Visitors can download a map of the town, giving locations of the various stalls and then they walk around, not only perusing the lovely goods but getting in some fresh air and exercise, too. The fair is going to become a monthly thing. Yesterday, there were 41 stalls.

So Gillian (my new chum) and I set off, having highlighted the stalls we wanted to visit and planned a suitable route, and we had a jolly entertaining, if soggy, few hours, chatting to stall holders, admiring their craft skills and stopping off for lunch in my favourite town eatery which is now OPEN! And oh, how it felt so normal! We picked up a few ideas to feed our own arty crafty ventures-in-waiting, and made a few choice purchases. There is to be another fair next month; hopefully the weather will be kinder.

The swallow babies are out and about now, and then some! Sometimes they bring home another baby swallow....

...see, there are 5 of them here, and sometimes the added extra baby goes and roosts in the laundry with them. There is a noticeable gathering of swallows around the garden, around 20 yesterday afternoon. I don’t know if the individual families come together to prepare for their migration back to Africa, but it definitely feels like a gathering of the clans out there at the moment.

Here is Mummy Swallow with her four babies. They sat there quite happily whilst I rooted around in the freezer. No poop of protest was deposited upon my person.

And here are three of the babies as viewed from the landing window. I think Baby 4 was still in bed because this was quite early in the morning.

Finally, the jay family!!!
Baby Jay is on the left of the photo. Later on the same day, the parents arrived with 3 babies! However, I wasn’t quick enough to take a photo of the Jay Five and they continued to elude me over the weekend, too. Lovely to see them all, though, and entertaining to watch the babies demanding to be fed, then realising they’ve got to do it for themselves, and grappling with the bird seed just like human babies messing with their mush on a spoon.

Happy Day, everyone!


Comments

I'm with you on the non conformist thingy. I've always been a bit controversial in my thinking's especially now with this virus business.
As for the birds, I love them all.
Years ago we had swallows, swifts, owls and even bats in our road but no longer. The railway lines across the road have all be decimated and gardens have been paved or decked over leaving no choice for the wild life but to move on. Don't get me started, lol
Briony
x
Denise said…
I'm glad it's not just me, Briony! I am becoming increasingly annoyed at being told what to do, what is good for me and how to behave. And I'm not having it. And oh, isn't it sad that all this building development has such a detrimental effect on our wildlife? Without our plants, insects, birds and animals, we humans are nothing. x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.