Skip to main content

Flying High

Another good luck sign today - I went into the laundry to check on the baby swallows (I know, I just can’t help myself) and one of them pooped on my head! Yes, dear reader - today was Swallow Fledge Day! Two of them were perched on convenient, and large, nails fixed in the next beam across from the beam ‘pon which their nest is attached. They are testing the air waves, as it were. 

Here is one of them. This was NOT the one that pooped on me...


I told Andy, and he said, ‘Is it lucky to be pooped on by a bird? Is it? Is it??’ And I said yes, it jolly well is, because it was what I had been told in my childhood, but then I am from down South and he is from oop t’North and heaven knows what weird beliefs they have up there. I know I looked at him askance the first time he said, ‘Butter me no parsnips.’ I’ve not asked since.

Anyway, I went and had a shower because although it is lucky to pooped on by a bird, it doesn’t do much for one’s sartorial elegance. 

Message from Dear Daughter arrived, all full of excitement, announcing she is being immortalised by her old grammar school, which was also my old grammar school and my mother’s grammar school before that. It’s a family thing. Having been Head Girl in 2005/6, Dear Daughter’s name is being engraved as such on a new roll of honour thingy. She says she plans to return to the school when she is 90 and point it out to all the young things who are attending in 2078, as it will be then. I remember her preparing her Head Girl election campaign. It involved a bubble machine and the wise words of Winnie the Pooh. It was cutting edge stuff and I think our ‘leaders’ could learn a lot from it. 

We are currently awaiting the delivery of a not inconsiderable lorry load of wood, with which we (and when I say ‘we’ I mean ‘Andy’) are going to create the Raised Vegetable Beds. There will be eight altogether, each one 10 feet by 4 feet. I say this in a very blasé way, but I suspect when they are all built I’ll look at them and go, ‘Cor blimey - that’s a lot of veg.’ Still, it’s what we wanted a big garden for, and I can always fill up a couple of them with enormous flowers, like gladioli or chrysanthemums. It’s the next step on our garden journey. 

All is good then! I continue to enjoy avoiding the media, news etc etc and it makes life far more pleasant, this being oblivious to all that is going on outside of my world. I also had a marvellous day at the weekend with my chum, Vera, and feel very invigorated and heartened by all we talked about. And the cake we ate. And the ice cream. 


Comments

Vera said…
It was a lovely day, Denise, and the chair that followed has become an island of quietness. Thank you.
Denise said…
An island of quietness. I like that. xx

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.