Skip to main content

Fridgeridoodah!

The fridge was edging towards empty this morning, so I thought I’d give it a good clean before I went shopping and refilled it. As I was performing hand and dishcloth contortions in an attempt to get at the nooks and crannies of the door shelves, you know, where the milk, butter, ketchup, mayonnaise and chilli jam deposit all things gunk and sticky, I thought, ‘This would be sooooo much easier if the door shelves came off and I could dunk them in hot water.’ And then I thought, ‘I wonder if they do?’

So I grasped one by each of its ends and lifted it upwards and, what do you know, the shelf slid off the door very easily! Two and a half years I’ve had that fridge and never once realised the shelves came off the door for easy cleaning. I was thrilled! I was Fridge Enlightened. This, I thought, is what happens when you splash out and buy a posh fridge. You get lift and slide convenience. 

Yesterday, one of the swallows brushed my hair as I went into the laundry i.e it dinged me on the head. I don’t know which one of us was more startled by the contact, but I’ve taken to ducking now when I go through the door. The nest is now nicely cup-shaped, and today Ken and Alice were busy flying in and out with bits of grass and straw, adding a cosy lining to their mud home. Yesterday, I had set about Andy’s hair with the clippers (at his request, I hasten to add) and there was a goodly pile of clippings after I’d finished which I said perhaps ought to be left in the courtyard specifically for nest lining purposes. However, the clippings ended up in New Compost Bin Number 1, looking to all intense and purposes like we’d made a poor attempt to conceal a murdered body. We dug them in. Just in case the Feds came calling...

The Council Highways Department continue with their road laying malarkey up and down the road upon which we live. This is Week 4 of 6, although they started a week later than initially planned. Does this mean they decided they needed only 5 weeks instead of 6, so we are, in fact, Week 4 of 5, or were they being typical Council and merely being a week behind before they even started. Who knows? Anyway, between the hours of 7 a.m and 4.30 p.m, there is peace and quiet, which is wonderful. But this morning, a digger with a winch contraception arrived to ‘backfill’ with gravel the drop on our drive that has been created by their raising the road 4 inches. 

Now, clearly a woman is not in charge of ordering roadwork gravel. Because if there WAS a woman in charge, she would have made sure the gravel infill went at least some way to matching or blending with the gravel already in situ. Instead of something that, as I arrived home from shopping this afternoon, made me think a beach front had arrived in our drive...


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, you made me laugh today. First the fridge, only because I know things like that so well. Then the “murder” of Andy’s hair and the possible thought of “the Feds” coming to investigate.
KJ
Denise said…
‘The Feds’ is becoming popular vernacular over here amongst the young people, KJ, and normally I wouldn’t use it, preferring to stick to British slang, but somehow it seemed funnier than writing ‘cops,’, ‘rozzers’, ‘gavvers’, fuzz’ or ‘bobbies.’ Oh, how times change, eh? I have also just spotted a misspelling, but I shall leave it in for my brother to find because it’ll give him something to do AND he’ll get the pleasure of pointing it out to me...šŸ™„
Athene said…
I think I have spotted the misspelling, or rather the malapropism, but I won’t mention it because I don’t want to deprive your brother of the pleasure! It’s made me smile though
Anonymous said…
Forget the misspelling as it is apparent I gave it up long ago (not really)!
Denise said…
It’s very naughty from a writer and ex-English teacher, but sometimes I just cannot be bothered to go back into a post and do an edit. Especially when I’m still tentative about the new blogger interface.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think. 

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee