Skip to main content

Four Years!



It’s the four year anniversary of His Lordship Malarkey and myself moving to Damson Cottage! Four years! Where did that time go, eh? The weather, four years ago, was far more clement than it was today, that’s for sure. I remember driving along various motorways, a huffing and puffing Flora in a cat carrier on the passenger seat, windows wide open to get some breeze into the car, and inadvertently ending up on the M6 Toll road because a lorry blocked my view of the correct exit for bog standard M6. A blessing in disguise, as it turns out, because the traffic was lighter and our journey a half an hour at least shorter. 

Today, it has been chilly, a bit breezy, a bit rainy spitty, and Flora has not needed to huff and puff because heat there has been none. You’ll be pleased also to know that the £20 top up I added to my mobile phone for the journey has STILL not run out! 

Of course, Damson Cottage has changed beyond recognition from the place we arrived at. It has slowly morphed into the countryside home that was once little more than a dream for us.  One more room to sort out, which would have been done by now if the game of Covid-19 hadn’t stopped play, but at least the garden has enjoyed our attentions instead. The room won’t take long to renovate; the image is already in my mind. It’s a bedroom and it’s not a big space. With the aid of the installation of a daybed it is going to become a cross between a living space and a guest bedroom. Blues and whites. Light and bright. Overlooking the wisteria as it spreads its way across the soon-to-be installed pergola. Views up the garden.  Peaceful. Quiet. Except when those bloody cockerels start hooting and tooting. 

And I think I have morphed, too. I’m less inclined to suffer fools. Less inclined to be told what to do. More a captain of my own ship, now, more able to say ‘No’ when others are saying ‘Yes’. Able to recognise what is important, what is of value. I met with an old and cherished friend today, someone I’ve not seen for 13 years, and she said, ‘You’ve really grown into yourself.’ And I understood what she meant. 

Today, I broke a rule. It was very liberating. Obstinate, headstrong girl! It has given me a taste for more bucking of the trends of my life. But perhaps that is what happens to all women when they reach ‘a certain age.’ 

Mrs Alice Swallow has hunkered down on her nest! I am guessing now she is incubating eggs. I creep into the laundry on tiptoe, head bowed, voice all a-whisper, and she eyeballs me over the lip of her cupola home. A gang of baby blue tits and a gang of baby sparrows take it in turn to run amok in the courtyard, darting in and out of the bay tree, occasionally meeting in the middle for a ‘peep off’, like Montagues versus Capulets, Sharks versus Jets. We eagerly await the cheeping that will signal the arrival of blackbird babies in the wisteria...

The greenhouse is gradually being taken over by triffid tomatoes...

I’ve spent some time rearranging and tidying my end of the arty crafty studio...found some long forgotten fabric that will be perfect for a pair of palazzo trousers...

My brain is clicking and ticking with ideas of ‘Clive and Min’...

Work has been brilliant this week...

After weeks of feeling bogged down and stifled by these strange times, I can feel the wings of a new freedom itching at my back...








Comments

aileen g said…
Hi Denise - loveley to hear about your good week. Oh I well remember moving house with cats protesting about being shut in their carriers. I've been in this place for 10 years now and the day I moved was also baking hot and the cash exchange for the new place didn't happen until 4 p.m. but the selling bit was completed by midday so I had to hand the keys over and drive round a bit with a real "cat's chorus" from the back seat.
At nearly 65 years old I too feel as if I am finally growing into myself. I spent a long, long time trying to be what I thought I "should" be but failing and being pretty unhappy about it. The last few years though have seen me more inclined to accept myself for what I am and so I'm a lot happier now. I really admire my daughter who is so brave about what she wants and just goes for it but at the same time is a very caring and supportive person to others. I often say that I have learned far more from her than I ever taught her.
My craft room could do with a good tidy. It's funny as I hate clutter and am considered to be extremely minimal in my house (I hate ornaments and "stuff") but when I am crafting it looks like a bomb has exploded and there is fabric, or paper and glue everywhere (the glue often ends up in my hair!). It doesn't take long to sort it though but I may admit that I have bought a new piece of kit this week which needs a home.
Heather Gott said…
Four years!!? Is it really!? Gracious me. What a lovely abode you've created in that time though. We love Damson Cottage.

Also, can't wait for the unveiling of the pallazzo pants.

From Daughter Dear xx
Denise said…
I often wonder, Aileen, what we pay conveyancing fees for, given the buying and selling bits never seem to tally up. Our sale, too, went through at 11 a.m and I had to hand over the keys to the new owners and leave without knowing if our purchase had happened. Andy had gone on ahead with the removal van, as we were moving 250 or so miles and he wanted to be at the estate agents who were holding the keys (the people we were buying from had gone on holiday!) before they closed and left us stranded, and I made a lot of fretful phone calls to our solicitor who, at one point, informed me that their accountant had locked himself out of their bank account so our purchase money was trapped! I made it clear I was VERY unhappy! By the time I arrived at 4.30 p.m, though, Andy was standing outside Damson Cottage with the keys. Hurrah! But very stressful. Now then....what is the new piece of kit you’ve bought???

Hello Daughter Dear! The palazzo pant unveiling may have to wait until I’ve stopped losing weight. I don’t want to make them and then not have them fit for very long. Unless I make them with an elasticated waist....🤔 xx
aileen g said…
Oh Denise, it's the banks and the banking system that tends to hold the cash up (I used to work in that area). I'm afraid all of my trousers etc. have elasticated waists these days! I did scare the neighbour last year when I was wearing a very old pair of trousers. I stood chatting to him whilst carrying the recycling crates but when I turned to put the crates down the elastic decided enough was enough and gave way. I sort of of squeaked which made my neighbour look back to see me with my trousers round my ankles but still holding the crates. I think he's had therapy though as he is still talking to me.
My new bit of kit is a Brother Scan'n'Cut machine and a foiling thing, so I can make pretty cards. I am very much a dabbler and love learning new things and also a bit of a gadget freak. Luckily I've got plenty of time at the moment to play as the sun seems to be doing social distancing so I'm not in the garden much.
Denise said…
Oh Aileen! This did make me laugh! I trust the recycling crates covered your modesty sufficiently?? And how exciting to have a new fancy gizmo for making fancy cards. I was going to be in the garden today but the local farmer has decided to muck spread in the adjoining field. Although the accompanying smell goes a long way to clearing the sinuses, it doesn’t half cling to one’s clothes and hair, so I’ve been in the studio sorting through clothes patterns instead. Have fun playing with your new gadget!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.