Skip to main content

Does Six Constitute A Collection?

It started off with sympathy for this little chap...
...a little cactus done up Mexican-style and presented to Andy by one of his work colleagues.
Prior to this photo, taken four years ago, the cactus constituted a tall blob flanked by two smaller blobs and, as you can see, adorned with a sombrero, googly eyes and a devilishly handsome moustache. But by the time of this photo, the cactus was growing out of its pot, and its hat and I took pity upon the whole personification of a living entity, removed the entrapments of commerciality (the hat, the ‘tache and the googly eyes) and repotted it, in proper cactus compost and everything. 

And now it looks like this...
Considerably larger and blobbier and repotted again this year. I don’t know how big it will eventually grow but at least now it has dignity and doesn’t need to parade around in a silly hat. 

And then there are these. Please bear in mind at this stage that I do not, and never have, liked cactus. 
I rescued these two a couple of years ago from the ‘Sad Plant’ section of a supermarket. Whilst they are still in the same pots, they have grown, especially the one on the left, which has graduated an inch upwards and expanded from three towers (I shall call them that because it is the first word that came to mind that was least phallic in nature) to five towers. The two new towers are quite tiny still, but they are there, trust me. 

And then I found this one. Just passing by, and it caught my eye. Not literally. I’m not one to have her eyes popping out, unlike my grandmother’s Pomeranian whose eyes had minds of their own, and it wasn’t pretty. But that’s another story. This one appealed because it is fluffy...
Once again, it arrived with three towers and now has a fourth growing. This one has been repotted because I believe it will grow fast and will likely be the size of an enormous marrow this time next year. When I say it is fluffy, what I really mean is that it is fluffier than you’d expect a cactus to be. It is more, well, bristly I suppose. A bit like a shaving brush. One of those synthetic ones, not a posh one made from badger hair. Do they make shaving brushes from badger hair, or have I imagined that? I don’t know. I barely know that today is Monday. 

Number 5 is, I think, more of a succulent than a cactus, but the cactus gang have embraced it as one of their own. I like this one because it has that Fibonacci pattern thing going on with its leaves. It is also growing apace so I repotted it a couple of months ago and it immediately put up a flower spike...
 I kid you not, that spike has grown to that size in the last three weeks! It looks like a flower is developing on the top. I jolly well hope it is a flower, something dramatic and red, and not some kind of poison dart effort that will fire off its weapon at random, probably when I’m in the bath and therefore vulnerable to its evil attack. I’m all agog with this own, on account of the potential flower thingy. 

And then last week, this one followed me home...
Don’t you just LOVE the whole swirly business of it?? It’s just waiting to be grabbed by the cheeks and given a good choochie-face squeeze. I shan’t, of course, because it is a cactus and a bit on the spiky side, but isn’t it adorable? 

Now, the problem is, I don’t like cactus. Never have. But now I have six, if you count the succulent, which might be a cactus, I don’t know, I don’t care, because I don’t like cactus and am not going to waste my time reading about them. But does six constitute a collection? Am I being subtly drawn into amassing cactus/ cacti/ cactinium/ cactoo to the point that in a few years’ time I shall feature in one of those TV extreme hoarder programmes where a couple of sympathetic cleaning types prise me from a house bursting to the seams with cats, piles of newspapers and thousands of cacti? 

‘It all started with a cactus in a sombrero,’ they’ll say, and people will make pitying noises. 

If I can stick at six (which I shall because why would I buy a plant that I don’t like?) then I should be okay...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Denise, you got yourself a problem.
KJ
aileen g said…
I'm not a fan of cacti - they always look dusty to me. I don't actually have many places to put plants indoors. 2 windows have shutters so the ledges need to be kept clear, and I had 2 windows converted to french doors, so I only have the bathroom and kitchen windows. don't have many cupboards etc. either. I do have 2 plants in the bathroom but they're looking a bit poorly - well actually one looks terminal. Perhaps you should open up a plant hospital and I could send my plants to you for some nursing?
Denise said…
KJ, do you know, I think you are right.

Aileen, I love the idea of window shutters! It’s something I’ve always fancied to have. Georgian features, and I love a bit of Georgian. In fact, I’d love a Georgian house, but I shan’t push my luck with the Universe, given how kind it has been to me during my life. What sort of plants do you have languishing in your bathroom?
aileen g said…
OH Denise, I wish I had a Georgian house too but mine is just a bog-standard 1950s bungalow with modern louvre style shutters as I can't stand net curtains. It's still home though and in my mind my overloaded bookcase morphs into a cosy library and my 2nd bedroom/craft room often gets called "the study". I don't actually know what the plants are - I think one is a weeping fig (no wonder it's weeping - it's leaves keep turning yellow!) and the other one is an agave-type one but not like the one I had before and killed. They were both gifts so I am trying to keep them going so that when the givers are able to visit again they don't have to wonder where their presents went.
Denise said…
Have you tried repotting your weeping fig, Aileen? Just a thought. It did one of mine the world of good when it was threatening to expire. They can suffer a bit with both over and under watering (fussy beggars) but I find with mine (I have two because they are safe to have around cats) do better if allowed to go slightly dry on the top of the soil before I give them a little bit of water. They also like being misted. And your home sounds delightful. Home is how we make it, I think.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.