Skip to main content

Baggy Trousers



Question of the Day: What do I have in common with these crazy emancipated ladies and their crazy emancipated attire? 

Nope, I don’t smoke a pipe. Heaven forbid. Nope, I don’t have a bulldog type creature who is thinking, ‘Thank goodness I am a dog and can parade around naked in my own well- fitting fur blessed to me by Mother Nature.’ And nope, I don’t have a penchant for a bonnet. However, seeing those bonnets did bring back a memory of when I was about 5 or 6 years old and my primary school had what they called a ‘Summer Pageant’ which involved us fashioning bonnets and aprons from pink and purple crepe paper, and learning a song to perform entitled, ‘Oh, soldier, soldier, won’t you marry me, with your musket, fife and drum?’ And looking back on the song, the soldier turned out to be a bit of a bastard anyway, because, after stringing along the smitten girl through several unproductive verses during which he gained a brand new uniform from her, he revealed he had a wife all along! What sort of song was THAT to be teaching a bunch of small children? Eh?? I wonder I survived my education undamaged. Wouldn’t be allowed these days, that’s for sure. And those emancipated ladies definitely would NOT have approved.

Anyway, back to the point in hand. What I have in common with the above ladies is that my trousers have all gone baggy, because in the last 11 weeks I have lost 17lbs! Most of it, apparently, from my backside whose previous job was to hold up my trousers. And my pants, but let’s not go there. 

Reader, I am walking along and my trousers are literally falling down. I am hoiking them up all the time. I dare not bend over or crouch down in public for fear of arrest on the ground of public indecency. On the plus side, I no longer have to bother undoing buttons and zips when paying a visit to the Wee Shop. 

My dilemma is this. Having consigned three pairs to the charity shop bag because they are more suited to clown wear, I have four pairs remaining which, although loose, do not make quite such a rapid beeline for my knees as the others did. I want to lose another 10lbs or so. So I don’t want to buy any new trousers at this moment because a) it will be winter before we know it and I’ll need substantial ones to stop me freezing outside at work, and b) I won’t get the wear out of them before they become too baggy also, and I am a bit of a skinflint when it comes to getting my money’s worth. The four pairs I have remaining are two pairs of lightweight cotton cargo pants from Primark, a nice pair of cords from FatFace and a pair of linen ‘going out’ trousers which aren’t seeing much social activity at the moment as we aren’t going anywhere. 

So, my question to you is, ‘Do I invest in a pair of braces?’ And, if so, does one wear them inside the bosom cleavage, or one strap either side? I am sensing this potential course of action could be fraught with its own set of problems...

Comments

Vera said…
I had a dress once that had braces on it, Lovely dress. Shame about my bosoms. Braces and bosoms were forever fidgeting with each other!
If it were me and I had the willpower to lose weight like you, I would hang on to the trousers.
I've had enough experience in the past with weight loss to know that eventually I will put it back on and wish I still had my old trousers.
Or you could ditch them and it will inspire you to keep the weight off. lol
Briony
x
rusty duck said…
17lbs is fabulous!
This is why I am sold on dungarees. I bought them a size larger to start with to give me full gardening mobility and, even though I have lost weight, they are still doing the job. Except that the midges can now find their way down the sides.
Possibly not a viable conversion option for existing trousers though. So how about a split braces option with a strap down both sides of each boob? It might have you looking a bit Madonna ish. Lift and separate as it were. But if you’re only going to be wearing them around the house?
Athene said…
17 lbs is amazing, well done. Personally I would buy a belt - if I wore braces I’d look like wee Jimmie Krankie (but with a bust). Or take the trousers in, it’s a lazy method but you can just sew up the side seam straight through the waistband. Keep up the good work.
Denise said…
Vera, I feel there might be some brace/ boob wrangling going on with me, too. Do you remember the hoo-ha when I was trying to find a supportive sports bra? When I had a mad fancy to try jogging?

Briony, this is my plan - to ditch clothes as I lose weight so I’m not tempted to return to my old ways. I, too, know the horror that is yo-yo dieting, but THIS time it is now or never. Wish me luck! x

Steady on there, Mrs Duck! Split braces a la Madonna??? I am mightily tempted by a pair of dungarees, though. My mother already thinks I’m behaving like a five year old because I often wear my hair in bunches, so I might as well complete the look.

I thought about belts, Olly. Never been a fan. I think they make me look, as my Gran might say, a sack of potatoes tied up with string. And I refuse to accept you can look anything at all like wee Jimmie Krankie. Never! You have far too much style and elegance!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.