Skip to main content

Sold, To That Nice Pair Of Swallows

Having watched Ken and Alice swooping in and out of the laundry room yesterday, their beaks clogged with gobbets of mud, I ventured therein myself towards the evening to have a nosy and see if I could locate exactly where they are building their nest. For yes, dear reader, they have decided to take up residence! Here, to be precise...

...right across the end of the handle of my red dustpan and brush, hanging 
from a nail on a beam.

Nothing like advertising your presence to the enemy with a dash of bright red, I thought, but then can birds see colours? Are they like dogs that can see only shades of grey? Anyway, Ken and Alice have been adding to the nest today, so fingers crossed eggs will happen and then babies. I am trying to ignore the pile of poop already accumulating in front of the immersion tank.

There was a slight altercation when another pair of swallows arrived and went in for a recce of the joint. A stand off ensued with Ken getting all high and mighty and pointing his wing at the door, whilst Alice got a bit screechy, telling them, I imagine, exactly where to go, and double quick, too. They then sat, side by side, on top of the door, hands on hips and staking ownership before scooting back inside for a bit more mud daubing. 

All very entertaining for me, sitting at the dining table with my early morning cup of tea. Better than telly. 

I’ve left Facebook. Have I told you this already? Three people have noticed. Three! Honestly, I could disappear from the planet completely and be but a mere speck and a wisp of that person who used to be there, can’t remember her name but she made a nice cake. But that’s no bad thing, being anonymous. It gives one the freedom to live one’s life how one wishes, without scrutiny from others. Says she who continues to blog...oh, the irony. 

Anyway,  I left because I found myself becoming increasingly riled by the comments and posts from other users. I know we seem to be living in increasingly emotional and heightened times, but there really is no need to be rude, aggressive and disrespectful of the feelings and beliefs of others. Is there? I don’t know. But I do know I’d had enough. I am developing the urge to be Hermit. Hermitess. Lady Hermit. You get the idea. I shall continue to blog though. I’ve been blogging for over 13 years now. I’ve still got the rest of ‘Clive and Min’ to deliver, for goodness’ sake. 

I’m apologising in advance for any quirkiness in the layout of the blog. Blogger has changed its interface AGAIN which means I have to get used to how it works AGAIN. You should have heard the swearing that accompanied the writing of this one. Why can’t something that works perfectly well be left alone? Why this need for constant ‘improvement?’ Boils my blood, so it does. Already I can’t even find the ‘Publish’ button...

Ooh, thought about the treehouse! I was perusing it whilst we were having a barbecue this evening. Bits of it had started to fall off, and bits of it were helped off by Andy. It now consists of a platform and a roof. I had a sudden thought that it could be a little place of meditation. String lots of solar powered fairy lights around it, add a lantern or three, some meditative art pieces, a ledge for a cup of tea and a bun, and a big squishy cushion et voila! Hermit up a tree! The tree is slap bang in the middle of the garden. Panoramic views, multitude of focal points. North, south, east and west, stars at night. 

I’m adding it to the Garden Revamp List. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
I would notice... I did notice... glad to have found you again. Not on any social media which some people find highly suspicious. When Mr. Zuckerberg said” It’s amazing the amount of data people will give for free” I decided not to join his club. I am sure social media and other sites already have more data on me that I care to know about I’m a happy be a social media hermit. But to be fair I do enjoy reading other people’s blogs, how is that for irony? Hope we can still be “friends” 😊
KJ
You are so lucky to be able to follow the progress and in time see the little babies. I only said to Tom the other day that I have not seen a swallow, house martin or swift yet this year.
Briony
x
Denise said…
Of course we can be ‘friends’, KJ! I find that the blog attracts intelligent, discerning and emotionally intelligent people, and it is a pleasure to engage in conversations here. Facebook has become nasty. I left Twitter years ago for similar reason and my venture into Instagram land has never taken off. So just the blog now. Which is fine. 🙂

Hello Briony! Oddly, we have more swallows here than we’ve ever seen. Such playful birds and great fun to watch. Yes, we are very lucky indeed!
aileen g said…
I sat in the garden yesterday afternoon (Saturday, I think) and watched a little sparrow hopping around the gutters looking for bugs I guess. It also kept flying down to the ground and hop-skipping in the gravel. Then I noticed a couple of blue tits pecking around in the honeysuckle (which is way out of control) so although I miss my old cat I guess there are some benefits to him no longer being here. I'm in 2 minds about Facebook. I belong to a couple of craft groups and a history group that all post every day so love keeping up with those but some "friends" are blocked for various reasons.
Saw my youngest in the week (first time for 3 months) for a distanced walk round the park over the road. It was so lovely and yet hard as well to say goodbye without a hug. I'm a bit confused to be honest about what we can and can't do now so will just carry on as I have been for now. I also had a mad gardening session and with the prunings from the bay tree and the weeds, the garden waste bin is absolutely rammed so unfortunately I will just have to sit and hope the sparrow comes back to keep me company. Love the idea of a meditating platform in the tree.
Athene said…
Ah, that’s why I hadn’t picked up on blog updates. I read Facebook but rarely post, too much rubbish on there and I have ,snoozed’ a lot of people because I don’t want to read what they have to say (you weren’t one of them though Denise’! Great news about the swallows.
Denise said…
Aileen, it sounds like you’ve had a lovely peaceful few days. I’m so glad you were able to see your youngest, and I can imagine how hard a hugless goodbye must have been. I’m a hugger, and I don’t know how successful I would be at reining in the urge to be spontaneous, especially with my granddaughters. I just hope this situation hasn’t made people too afraid of each other and we find ourselves facing a whole new set of problems beyond fending off a virus. But I am planning to carry on, like you, going with the flow, being sensible and trusting my instinct. We’ll get there! And haven’t the birds been wonderful this year?!

I am loving the swallows, Olly! One ‘brushed’ my hair yesterday morning. I don’t know which one of us jumped the most at the encounter!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.