Skip to main content

Days of Fulness

I’ve been a very bad and inattentive writer. I haven’t done any proper writing for ten days now. But I have reasons! And they are:

1) I got involved in a project organised by my workplace to take cream teas to the local old people’s  homes as part of the 75th VE Day anniversary celebrations. Could anyone make something arty crafty to go into the cream tea parcels, along with the tea, scones, jam and cream, they said? I could make some lavender bags, I said. We’ll be sending out over 100 cream teas, they said. Okay, I said. I made 98 lavender bags before running out of lavender and losing the feeling in the end of my needle ‘n’ thread pushing finger...
...so I also made some of these. Cup of tea coasters...

This effort occupied several days. I have also been unfurloughed, so am back at work for two days a week. It has been bliss!

2) The rose bed, I have realised, is unlikely to be filled with roses before autumn, because I want to see the roses I am buying and not buy them via mail order. And I am not able to visit garden centres just yet. So, and because the seeds I sowed back at the end of March are beginning to climb out of their pots, the rose bed will become a temporary vegetable bed for this season. So I’ve given it another proper dig over, removing more roots and sodding crocosmia, and ivy from around the edges, and in the next day or two, it will be filled up with courgettes, leeks and squash á la butternut...
Today, I sowed some cavelo nero kale and some cucumbers, and potted on the chilli peppers.

3) Some concerted greenhouse building has been occurring. His Lordship Malarkey has been chief builder. I have been occasional glass propper-upper. And secretary, when we discovered some glass was missing from the order, which has brought greenhouse building to a halt. But the missing glass is being dispatched on Monday so hopefully it will be with us within a few days and we might have a completed greenhouse by next weekend. This is the current state of play...
4) I’ve been trying to be a good Gran and making an effort to keep in more regular touch with my granddaughters via the magic that is FaceTime.

And that is why I’ve not been writing. Other happenings have drawn away my attention. It happens.

But these things have made for life being full and good and cheering and hopeful for the future. And of course I shall be writing again soon because I am, at heart, a writer. A writer, gardener and maker of things.

Comments

That takes some stamina to make all those lavender bags, bravo to you.
Also love the little coasters.
Briony
x
Vera said…
Well done for all those lavender bags, and you made them in the shape of a heart which must have taken some doing!
aileen g said…
You have been a busy bee. Those small gifts will give a real lift to the recipients - well done! I sorted through my fabric scraps and made some very makeshift bunting for VE day and a few of the neighbours and I had front garden picnics. I just took a cup of tea and some cake out but the lady on the end had champagne. I really need to up my stocks for the next lockdown - all I seem to have is porridge, chickpeas, beans, and tins of tomatoes. She even had "proper" bunting whch had all the colours evenly spaced out - how the other half live, eh!
Anonymous said…
Wow. That’s fantastic. Well done!! And the greenhouse...Swoon.
KJ
Denise said…
Thank you, Briony! I thoroughly enjoyed making the lavender bags and they smelled gorgeous! The coasters were an experiment; I have plans to adapt future efforts.

Vera, I think after the first ten I developed a ‘knack!’

How lovely that you could join in a party, Aileen! Bunting and all! I enjoyed the BBC concert at Buckingham Palace - did you see it? Lovely singing and stories. (Definitely stock up your cupboards - there appeared to be a distinct lack of chocolate...)

Do you like the greenhouse, KJ? I’m so pleased we decided on wood rather than aluminium. Still waiting for the missing glass, but I’m sure it will arrive a soon as possible and then it won’t take long for us to complete the building.
Anonymous said…
Aluminum will do for sure but wood really looks so nice - good choice!
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.