Skip to main content

The Blending of Days

How are we all, then? Do we know what day it is? I was convinced it was Wednesday today, but turns out ‘tis Thursday! Who knew?

There’s been some very entertaining clips emerging on the Internet, as people find things to fill their hours during this most peculiar or times. Today, I watched a mini film of a family - mum, dad, and three late teen/ early twenties children - learning a dance routine together. It was lovely to see them working as a family unit, sharing time, talents, laughs and teamwork. It also made me wish I was a bit more ‘physical exercise’ orientated. You know, one of those people who jumps out of bed and goes for a run, and then squeezes in a bike ride later on and finishes the day with a dance class and yoga set. There’s lots of that on the Internet, too, at the moment - people grappling with daily exercise and using the imposed ‘stay-at-home’ rules as a time to get themselves fitter. But I think there is something in my genetic coding that makes me reject all this activity. A rogue ‘sloth’ gene maybe.

However, I have been busy! Today I:

1) made some bread. My tin of yeast is on its final third - still can’t find any in the shops
2) did some writing - another 3,000 words of ‘Clive and Min’ - oh yes! On a writing roll!
3) set about Bambino Bobble Wilson with a grooming comb because he is shedding fur at the moment like it is going out of fashion and appears to have developed a case of dandruff which Andy the Vet says is because he isn’t being groomed enough
4) ordered some heating oil. There is a three week delay on deliveries at the moment but that is fine because we’ve still got a quarter of a tank and our boiler is VERY efficient
5) began a sour dough starter, see point 1). It will take 5 days to grow. Andy made a sour dough starter years and years ago. It was like something from Quatermass. I am hoping mine will be better behaved.
6) felt a bit sad, as news arrived that my Uncle John died early this morning, peacefully and in his sleep in his own bed. He was 85. A return of the cancer he’d been treated for successfully a couple of years ago. If Saint Peter is listening at the Pearly Gates - you won’t be able to get a word in edgeways!
7) caught a fur ball that Flora Bijou Mybug was yacking up BEFORE it hit the rug. I consider this a minor triumph!
8) phoned a friend to see how she was doing. She said her husband was still alive. A minor triumph for her.
9) popped along the road to my place of work to get some more milk...
...it’s from their new milk vending machine. No, this is NOT a euphemism for ‘cow.’ It’s an actual vending machine. You purchase a one- off glass bottle from the farm shop, then pop it into the machine, choose ‘full fat’ or ‘semi-skimmed’, tap your contactless card to pay and the bottle fills up with a litre of non-homogenised, organic, local milk! Take home, drink, wash out bottle, return to vending machine, repeat ad infinitum. No plastic waste, lovely milk, support your local farming community. It’s a winner!

10) did some embroidery. Making autumn leaves to frame the autumn tree I made.

And the sun shone a bit, there was a bit of drizzle. The male wagtail of the pair nesting in the woodshed arrived to perform his daily attack on my car windscreen. There is blossom on the all the fruit trees. Life continues on.

Stay happy. Stay safe. Every day that passes is a day closer to this episode of odd times being over.

And I shall still be as amply curvaceous as I have always been.

Because somethings will never change.

Comments

I'd say you had a really good day there.
I like the idea of that milk vending machine, we could do with those here.
As for the slothful genes, I have them in a abundance.
When I had the kids I was very busy of course but given the chance I'd rather sit down and do something than exercise. lol
Briony
x
rusty duck said…
I looked up how to make a sour dough starter, in view of point 1 above. Blimey, what a faff! But it’s all theoretical anyway cos I can’t get flour either.
I’m sorry to hear about Uncle John.
Denise said…
Hello Briony! Lovely to meet you, and thank you for leaving a comment. I like the idea of exercise, but somehow the visualisation of it in my head never translates into activity. Also, I think my inner sloth keeps me calm!

Jessica, I am going to give the sour dough starter a fair crack. Managed to pick up some flour at the farm shop, gawd bless it. And sour dough bread is supposed to be very beneficial for gut health. We shall see how it goes and at least it is giving me something else to do. As for Uncle John, well, he could talk the hind legs off a donkey and was rarely seen without a pipe in his mouth, generally unlit. He was a bit of a character. Fond memories.
aileen g said…
Denise - I'm with you on the exercise front. When the lockdown first began and they said we could go out once a day for exercise, my first thought was "Blimey, I hope that's not compulsory"! I had visions of school PE and the horrors of the sprint through the either boiling hot or freezing cold showers afterwards. I'm sure that's what put me off. I don't mind a gentle stroll round a village garden open day, especially with tea and cake slotted in somewhere, but that's enough for me. I have actually lost about half a stone since the lockdown - not through exercise, or even rationing my meals - more a case of not being able to pop to the shop (just 2 minutes round the corner from me) 2 or 3 times a week and "treating" myself to some chocolate. Silver linings and all that.
Denise said…
Oh, Aileen - this did make me laugh! You seem to be bearing up very well! I hope you aren’t suffering chocolate withdrawal symptoms thought. And now I’m interested - what’s your chocolate of choice??
aileen g said…
Hmm - chocolate of choice? I do like very dark chocolate - the sort where they tell you to let one square dissolve on your tongue (one square? yeah right!), and I am quite fond of sea-salt chocolate, but to be honest my real tastes are either for Smarties, or Cadbury's Fruit and Nut. As you can tell you have some highly-sophisticated readers!
Denise said…
Aileen, I, too, am a fruit and nut girl! This has the added bonus in that Andy doesn’t like nuts! Of Smarties, I love the orange ones. And I love dark chocolate, too. The sophistication of the readers matches the sophistication of the writer!!

(When I was a child I loved Fry’s Chocolate Creme and Twix. Nowadays I’d find both too sickly. Happy days, though! Mum only allowed us one sweet per week. On Friday. For a treat.)

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.