Skip to main content

Plot Twist!

Good morning, everyone! Greetings from a slightly cooler, yet still pleasant Three Counties Border (Shropshire side). I've been busy this morning baking bread, making a chicken and leek pie for His Lordship Malarkey's lunch, some jam tarts with the last of the Damson Cottage damson jam, and , of course, working up another episode of 'Clive and Min' for you. His Lordship Malarkey is outside constructing a window for the potting shed. It is reminding me rather of that scene in 'Carry On Cleo' when Kenneth Connor as Hengist Pod occupies himself making square wheels which his new neighbour, Horsa (played by Jim Dale) then repurposes as a window frame. But don't tell Andy I said that.

Enjoy today's episode. I want to know how much you gasp when you reach the cliff-hanger. If at all...




Min wasn’t at home the afternoon that the proprietor of Cluedon’t was due to visit and inspect the room that had been provisionally hired at Satis House. Min had fretted that a forgotten appointment had reared its head unexpectedly in her diary that day, but Connie, in all her brisk efficiency, had taken charge.

‘I’ll be home from work by 3,’ she said. ‘I can show the woman around. Don’t worry.’

 Min looked at her increasingly useful lodger and smiled. ‘Oh, would you?’ she said. ‘That’d be such a relief. I can leave the paperwork ready for her to read and sign. Of course, I’d like to meet the woman myself, to make sure she is the right kind of person to be renting out a room in my home, but I trust your impeccable judge of character.’

 ‘Ha!’ said Connie. ‘I wouldn’t go so far as to say impeccable, given I’m almost divorced. But I can certainly give her the once over. Make sure she’s hygienic and doesn’t have too many tattoos, piercings or psychopathic vibes.  I can ask her a few nosy questions, too, if you’ve got anything specific you want to know. It’ll make me feel useful.’

Min said that, no, there was nothing specific she needed to know, as long as the woman looked respectable and paid her deposit up front. And then, leaving the contract paperwork on the kitchen table, she ruffled Halliwell’s furry head and disappeared to meet her appointment.


And so it was that Satis House was quiet at 3 that afternoon, the quietest it had been for weeks. Willow had now completed her work and moved on to her next job, a pub renovation. She had promised to keep in touch, especially as Min was keen to begin getting rid of Clive’s taxidermy collection if the pub would take some of the pieces, no matter how little they were willing to pay. ‘To be honest,’ Min said to Willow as she thanked her on her last day at Satis House, ‘I’d pay them to take the monstrosities away. Especially that wild boar. Of all the pieces, it’s the one that gives me the most heebie-jeebies.’

 And Amazing had hit a peak of frenzied excitement as fast approaching launch date of her new tea rooms drew ever nearer. She had spent all morning in purposeful activity, making lists and taking delivery of boxes of paper napkins and menus. It was the menus that had caused her The Angst of the Day, as she called it, and now she popped an enraged face around the open door to Connie’s room, which somewhat startled Connie because Amazing was rarely enraged, being a calm ‘all will be well’ kind of person.

 ‘Beautiful Connie,’ began Amazing. ‘I am just going out to town to confront the printers about this up-cocking of my beautiful Autumn and Hallowe’en launch menus,’ and she waved a sample menu in Connie’s direction.

‘Look!’ she continued. ‘I take all my time to write and design these quality menus of great artistic beauty to place on the tables, so customers can see what delights I have made for them, and THIS happens,’ and she stabbed her finger at the sample. ‘I make a joke, for Hallowe’en, about the meringues. I call them ‘BOO-meringues’, which I think is very witty, yes?’

 Connie nodded. ‘Very,’ she said. ‘Almost as good as the Coffin and Walnut Cake and the Vampire BAT-tenburg.’

 ‘Yes,’ said Amazing. ‘But I am particularly pleased with my BOO-meringues, and it is this that the printers have up-cocked with their not so clever auto-correct computing machine. It has been printed as ‘Boomerang,’ which spoils the joke completely.’

‘It does rather,’ said Connie, who had risen from the chair and table she had set up in the bay window of her room to serve as a work station, and was now examining the offending article.

‘It completely misses the point of the Hallowe’en theme,’ said Amazing. ‘And there are only three weeks to go until the launch and we have much more to do. I need to have it out with the printers immediately, today, now.’

Connie nodded. ‘Of course…’

 ‘But what I need to ask you, which is why I have interrupted your privacy, for which I am very sorry,’ said Amazing, ‘is that when the Cluedon’t people arrive, could you enquire of them if they would like refreshment on their rehearsal evenings, because I would like them to know that I can provide them many lovely cakes and biscuits, and here is my menu for THAT,’ and she thrust another piece of card at Connie, ‘which the printers have not up-cocked, thank the Lord and St Augustine, who is the patron saint of printers.’

 With a smile, Connie nodded. ‘Of course I can,’ she said. ‘Don’t worry, Amazing. I shall do my best to market your lovely refreshment package to them, and tell them they would be fools not to place an order.’

 Amazing grabbed each of Connie’s cheeks and gave them a squeeze. ‘Thank you, Connie! You are kindness itself. And now, I must go to sort out this mess. All will be well!’

 At three minutes to three, the doorbell rang. Connie had been waiting in the kitchen, reading through the rental agreement Min had drawn up for the room hire which was, like its author, concise and precise.

 ‘Bang on time, Halliwell,’ she said to the cat who had been keeping her company. ‘Punctuality score – ten out of ten, big tick, gold star.’

 Halliwell released a low growl, and a ridge of fur along his spine stood on end and quivered.

 Connie raised her eyebrows in surprise. ‘Halliwell,’ she said. ‘What on earth is the matter? It’s only the door-bell. You’ve heard that many times before, you silly cat.’

 She bent towards him, hand outstretched to give him a reassuring pat, but he backed away from her, still emitting a long, low growl, and then ran from the kitchen into the hallway where he jumped onto the hall table and stared unblinkingly at the door. The fur on his back continued to twitch and his tail flicked from side to side like a whip.

 Connie shrugged and followed him. ‘Just you behave,’ she warned him. ‘We don’t want any more repeats of the Sergeant Phelps leg gouging incident, do we? This is a paying customer. You must treat her with respect for Min’s sake. No money coming in equals no premium brand kitty dinners for you, my lad.’

Halliwell fixed Connie with a stare from his glinting eyes, and then he slowly closed and opened them.

‘Good,’ said Connie, taking the signal as one of compliance, and that it was safe to open the door.

 On the doorstep stood a middle aged woman, made up to the nines, with huge blonde hair and wearing clothes that seemed rather showbiz and extravagant for a mid-afternoon business appointment. Must be a mark of the theatrical type, thought Connie, extending her hand, which the woman took, applying one of those weak, limp-as-a-lettuce-leaf handshakes that always made Connie feel suspicious.

‘Good afternoon,’ said the woman, stepping into the hallway at Connie’s invitation. ‘Miss Minerva Thing, I presume?’

 ‘I’m afraid not,’ said Connie. ‘I am Connie Franks, her friend and lodger. Miss Thing apologises but she had to go out unexpectedly. She’s left me in charge of conducting the interview and showing you the room.’

 Halliwell was still grumbling away from his station on the hall table, and Connie was finding his attitude unnerving, because he was normally such an agreeable chap.

 ‘Excuse the cat,’ she laughed. ‘He’s not great with new people, but as soon as he gets to know you, he’ll be fine.’

The woman leaned back almost imperceptibly, and flared her nostrils. ‘I’m not really a fan of animals,’ she said. ‘It won’t be allowed access to the room I want to hire, will it?’

‘Gosh no,’ said Connie. ‘The room will be an animal-free zone. I’m sure it will be the perfect space for your requirements. I understand you run some sort of performance group…’

‘Yes well, we shall see about that,’ said the woman, abruptly cutting across Connie, who was feeling even more on edge at the woman’s brusqueness.

She cleared her throat and regrouped herself. ‘Would you like to come this way, er…Mrs….’

‘Path,’ said the woman. ‘Sylvia Path.’

Comments

aileen g said…
Oh excellent Denise. When this is a "proper" book (on paper I mean), this is the bit where people will flick back a few pages and realise that you had teased us that Sylvia was planning this mischief all along. I bet Halliwell was cross that his warning went unheeded.

Just what I needed this week as sadly my sister passed away undergoing major heart surgery this week. I did say previously that we hadn't spoken for some years but it is still a shock and hard that I can't hug my nieces and nephew, or my brother who was the oldest of we 3 siblings (I'm the youngest). Then on Friday I had to take my cat Alfie to the vets for the final time. He was an old boy and his breathing had been deteriorating for some time. The vet found he had a build up of fluid round his heart but felt he might not survive an operation to drain it so I decided to let him go. Sad as I am right now I feel privileged to have had both my sister and my lovely cat in my life and will concentrate on the good times, not the endings.
Denise said…
Aileen, I am so sorry you’ve had such a heart breaking week. I hope you manage to find some peace within you over the coming days. You seem to me to be a strong and pragmatic lady, and that is a good thing to be. And bless you for believing that ‘Clive and Min’ could become a proper paperback! I am so glad you are enjoying it, and that it brought you a spot of sunshine today. x
Athene said…
My sympathies Aileen, sorry to hear of your news.

Excellent plot twist Denise, it’s thickening faster than custard in a microwave. What next!
Denise said…
Thank you, Olly! Custard in a microwave, eh? I might steal that line for future use...šŸ¤”
aileen g said…
Thankyou Denise and Athene.

Denise, I think Clive and Min would make an excellent paperback. It has a lot to commend it - family secrets, mystery, the supernatural, twists and turns, touches of comedy, and all with well-drawn characters. The tutor who used to run the writing course I attended a few years ago has given up teaching and now writes full time (although she also takes on editing work for other writers). She started off self-publishing but I believe now has a contract with a small publishing house. Her books are quite good (in my opinion) but Clive and Min is (again, my opinion) far and away a better read. It certainly had me gripped from the beginning. Mind you, I know you are a busy lady with your embroidery, cooking, garden plans, normal everyday life (remember that?) so I do appreciate that you also find the time to keep us all entertained with your writing as well.
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Hey Denise!

I can't wait to read what happens next. It gets more exciting every week. It's starting to get hot here, hello summer in Texas.

Deanna M
Denise said…
Aileen, I am thrilled by your commendation of ‘Clive and Min’! Thank you!

Hey Deanna! How are you doing way over there in Texas? We’ve had some gorgeous days here, too - exactly the tonic for lifting the spirits. I’m glad you are enjoying ‘Clive and Min’. I shall attempt to sustain the excitement for you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.