Skip to main content

It’s raining and I’m knitting a monkey

As Nessa from ‘Gavin and Stacey’ would say : ‘I’m not going to lie to you - this week hasn’t been the best.’

Oh, it’s not been hideous, you understand. Not in the grand scheme of the world in which we currently live. The weather has been divine (until this morning when it suddenly started raining and is so cold you can see your breath when you go outside) and therefore much gardening has been done. A load of cat litter arrived, so the cats are happy, and the greenhouse arrived, which is good except it now needs erecting and that’s a whole new set of hoo-ha malarkey in itself. And I completed Module 2 of my City and Guilds course bang on my self-imposed deadline of yesterday, and it has now gone to my tutor for marking and feedback. I’ve been busy and productive - I have bread making nailed now and even managed to buy some flour AND yeast on my once-a-week shopping trip!

The shopping trip provided me with a smile because all the while I was in the supermarket all I could hear was a man shouting ‘EXCUSE ME!’ very loudly and on a regular basis as he navigated his way around the aisles and folk were clearly getting in his way. There seemed to be a lot of men shopping. They were all looking in confusion at their lists, then abandoning their trolleys to wander off in search of items which didn’t help with social distancing and congestion. So ‘MEN! Stay with your trolleys, please!’ They reminded me of men who push their child’s pram or pushchair with one hand whilst casually gazing around their environs, making it look like they don’t want to be associated with their offspring.

Anyway, I was then directed from the outward bound queue to the next available checkout, and it turned out the checkout till was faulty so everything had to be put through by tapping in barcode numbers separately, and THEN it refused to process the gift card I wanted for Granddaughter Number Two’s up and coming 6th birthday so I was taken to ANOTHER till and I thought, so much for getting in and out as quickly as possible. But I suppose you have to make the most of getting out of the house once a week for an hour, don’t you?

No, it’s been mostly okay, really, apart from one issue which I’m afraid I can’t go into, which has left me feeling discombobulated and testy. But what I have to remember is that we’ve been through this kind of thing before and survived, and everything has turned out just fine and dandy, and I am sure this matter will resolve itself positively, too, and if it doesn’t, well, we’ll cope because we always do, don’t we?

So this morning, for the first time since the ‘Withdrawal From Society’ (I REFUSE to call it ‘lockdown’) I have felt restless. Directionless. Flat. I don’t even want to write, which is always a warning sign my mind isn’t quite in its right place.

And that is why, today, I am sitting in the dining room, listening to the radio, with this view from the window, knitting a monkey.



Comments

Athene said…
I think we’re all getting days like that at the moment. I’m fine when I stay in but going out, as I have to several times a week for work, makes me edgy and grumpy. Monkey-knitting sounds an ideal occupation for those times! I hope your mood doesn’t affect the monkey’s expression.
Vera said…
Lovely view from your window, the rain did make everything shine.
I also noticed that there were more men in the supermarket, but they seemed to stay with their trolleys here in France.
Good news about the greenhouse......., and the monkey? Vx
aileen g said…
You have a lovely view Denise (I'm guessing that it the greenhouse in the middle?). I don't think there is anything wrong with taking time to sit and knit - it sounds like you have been busy most of the time. It's very tempting to think we have to fill every moment with activity but personally I perfected the art of doing not-very-much a long time ago. Sometimes even reading seems like a chore. I also think that whilst the current pandemic is obviously to the forefront for many of us, it hasn't stopped the other crap from happening. I learned yesterday that my sister has been taken to hospital with a major heart attack on Friday. We have been estranged for several years (her choice) and I think I have mainly come to terms with things but it still made me feel sad. Then I think of my younngest daughter going out to work each day (NHS nurse) and going home physically and emotionally shattered so I am trying to keep a sense of perspective. Some days though......! Be kind to yourself xx
Denise said…
I hope you are staying safe and well in your work, Olly. It must be a very difficult job for you at the moment. As for the monkey expression, well, I finished knitting the component parts yesterday so today is construction day - and I’m feeling in a more positive frame of mind, so happy monkey is on the cards!

We needed the rain, Vera, and today the sun is back! I feel sorry for those chaps doing the shopping because I bet they all go home with the wrong things!

Hello Aileen. Firstly, can I say I am sorry to hear about your sister, even though your relationship is somewhat distant? I know that feeling only too well, and I understand. The green building in the middle of the photo is our arty crafty studio, that we had built about a year after moving here. It contains all my sewing and craft stuff and Andy’s art and lino cutting stuff. It’s a little oasis! The greenhouse is in that huge pile of boxes under the blue tarpaulin to the bottom left of the picture, just in view. That’ll be an adventure, putting it all together. And thank you for your kind and wise words. You are absolutely right, of course, and a bit of a star for sharing them! x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.