Skip to main content

Bank Holiday Monday

Thought it would be a good idea first thing this morning to move the 63 concrete paving slabs from the driveway, where they were deposited on Friday by a disgruntled delivery chap, to the top garden where they will form the base for the new greenhouse. This is what I learned :

1) a concrete paving slab (45 cm square by 35mm deep) weighs 16.5kg or, if like me you are still programmed to imperial measurements, 2 stones and 8lbs

2) you cannot move two of these slabs at the same time. Well, I can’t. Not if I want to maintain forward momentum

3) each paving slab moved becomes progressively heavier. I believe this could be a trick of mechanics versus my physical fitness

4) one wouldn’t need a gym membership if one shifted paving slabs for a living

5) I’m glad I don’t have to shift paving slabs for a living

6) I felt quite wobbly once the job was done, but I experience no chest pains, which was reassuring given my paternal family’s propensity for dying young of heart attacks

Anyway, job done now! The greenhouse is being delivered on Friday. Just need to work out how to make a flat surface for it with the slabs so they don’t wibbly wobbly around.

Back indoors, I warned Bambino Bobble Wilson on NO UNCERTAIN TERMS was he to chew my tomato seedlings, currently in a seed tray on the kitchen window sill and just about putting up their second set of leaves. He said he couldn’t guarantee that he wouldn’t give them a surreptitious nibble because of his impetuous and buoyant nature. I told him it wouldn’t be worth his while to even try. Seriously.

I’ve signed up with a site called FutureLearn which provides some free on line learning courses. I have embarked on one called ‘A History of Royal Fashion’ which starts its journey in Tudor times, so plenty of chat about ruffs, codpieces and sumptuary laws. Lots of lovely photos of velvet things, silk things, embroidered things, all of which must have been an absolute sod to launder. The course lasts 5 weeks and was created by the University of Glasgow. So far it is very interesting. I expect it won’t be long before I start being bombarded with emails inviting me to sign up to their ‘Extended Learning Package’ for £42, or their ‘Unlimited Learning Package’ for £199, which I might be tempted to do. Who doesn’t love a bit of life long learning, eh? Especially when confined to barracks as we are at the moment.

The rose bed border has been cleared! Only two shrubs - a forsythia (I think) and something else a bit more woody and resistant, identity unknown, put up any sort of a fight and I nearly fell over only twice in my tugging and heaving attempts. Therefore, I have allowed myself an hour or so of indulgence on the David Austin roses website, perusing the treasures therein. So many  beautiful roses! So many varieties, so many colours! I’ve decided on a mostly white and cream colour scheme with some dots of pale pink. When I lived in Kent I used to visit Sissinghurst Place fairly regularly and was very fond of the White Garden. I thought it was rather classy. A bit like me. Ha ha!

The plan, then, is to have two or three climbing roses for the back of the border (I need to do some proper measuring) to cover the uninspiring privet hedge that separates us from our neighbour, and then a selection of old English roses underplanted with snowdrops, lily of the valley and lavender. Maybe some geraniums. I reckon I could get between 10 and 15 rose shrubs in the space, mixed in with the extra plants. All I have to do now is choose the varieties. Such a hardship...but I do like this for a climber: The Generous Gardener...


On other garden news, we have triumphed in catching the two bantam hens, Molly and May, and consigning them to barracks in the Eglu accommodation. May wandered in by herself, but Mollie had to be wrangled. I was disgusted by Magnus who, when it came to the fight, did nothing at all to defend his girls, preferring instead to put up a racket and a hoo-ha in order to save himself from incarceration. But I suppose it was lucky for me he was such a coward as he has a set of very sharp looking spurs and if I’d had to beat him off with a dustbin lid or garden spade, serious injury may have occurred. And whilst I occasionally wish death upon him and Tootsie, I don’t really mean it. At least, I don’t think I do...

This triumph means there will be no more hunting the grounds of Damson Cottage looking for nests of eggs, and no surprise chicks appearing, all of which would likely be sodding cockerels. So hurrah for that! Nancy Pants, our old hen, continues on unabashed. Sometimes we think she is on her last legs, but then chuck her a grape and she’ll fight off the others and win, no probs. She’s wily, that one. Reminds me a bit of Mrs Miggins.

That’s it from the homestead for the moment. I hope everyone is staying safe and well. When all this malarkey eases and we return to what is likely to be a very different kind of ‘normal’ I have a fancy to take a holiday on a canal boat.



Comments

Athene said…
Speaking as one who has moved paving stones, I feel your pain - but well done. I like the sound of the distance learning course, I'm off to investigate that - haven't seen much so far that I fancy although I have signed up to a free online sourdough course later in the month.

Very exciting to think of those lovely roses - we all need something to look forward to.
aileen g said…
I too have been known to move a few slabs in my time - in fact one neighbour thought I ought to get a job with the council! I have also done a few (free) FutureLearn courses and have also signed up to the WEA site. I keep thinking that when this lockdown is over we are all going to have fabulous gardens and be much better educated than before! I always liked the idea of keeping chickens but know in my heart that I wouldn't like the practicalities. Plus I don't actually like eggs that much.
Anonymous said…
Good job you! You need a garden wagon with off road wheels...or a dolly in a pinch, worth their weight in gold! Love to hear about your progress in the garden - far more impact than I have had - cleaned up the raspberry/blackberries this weekend for dead branches (is it called branches?)and then sat and crocheted for a couple of hours
KJ
Denise said…
Olly, the rose garden planning is hope for the future! Did you check out that course on FutureLearn?

Aileen, I am shocked! You’re not keen on eggs?? What do you dip toast soldiers into? I agree that I think lots of us will come out with magnificent gardens this year, thanks to the social restrictions. And that can’t be a bad thing.

Hello, KJ! Bravo for sorting out your raspberries and blackberries. I believe raspberries grow on canes and blackberries on brambles. But that might be a weird UK thing. What are you crocheting? I am useless at crochet unless it is triangles.
Anonymous said…
Well nothing too fancy just granny squares for a blanket. Found 10 skeins of cotton yarn in a thrift store. Now I’ll have to supplement with a main colour to connect them all. Knitted so tight that I had to give my little finger a break so crocheting it is for a little while.
KJ
Vera said…
I've have done slabs, but only a few, but I have hauled stones and such like, and it is of my opinion that lady's are not meant for such tasks! Sitting down and looking at plantings are a better occupation!
aileen g said…
Oh Denise - soft-boiled eggs? Bleugh! I don't mind hard boiled eggs so much, and occasionally crave a fried egg sandwich (again making sure the yolk is well-cooked). I think it is the texture of it as I also can't abide chocolate liquers - the thought of biting into them and having the soft cntre run out makes me feel all queasy. Still a cool breeze here but still dry so will tackle another metre or so of my hard-baked clay soil and see who wins in the battle of the weeds. You were talking about David Austin roses the other day - well I bought 3 the other year and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with them. They haven't done half so well as the ones my sister-in-law bought from the pound shop.
Denise said…
KJ, I hope your little finger is recovering!

Vera, I think you are quite right. However, I do feel that if ladies didn’t get involved in the lumping around of stones and stuff, then these jobs might not get done. Maybe?

Aileen, the food texture I can’t bear is rice pudding. Even the thought of it makes me heave. Ooo-er.....yuck! And thanks for your comment about the David Austin roses. They seem more expensive than other brands and I kind of expect them to be good for the money, but perhaps not. I shall broaden my search...

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.