Skip to main content

A Question...


This is me conversing with a barn owl, a few years ago when I spent a delightful day on a ‘Birds of Prey Experience’ that Andy had given me for my birthday. The owl is saying, ‘It was THIS big!’ and I am replying, ‘Oh really?’ (It is also in the days of my being a slave to the hair dye. Makes me wonder if I ought to return....)

Anyway I’ve chosen this photo because it is pertinent to a question I have to ask you.

Since being in the state of withdrawing from society, I have been busy, as you know. I have been especially busy with writing. Now, you might think, ‘Oh have you REALLY?’ because I’ve been a bit lax in dishing up episodes of ‘Clive and Min’, my current Work In Progress. But what I have also been doing is some pretty heavy editing and additional writing on ANOTHER novel that I wrote a few years ago, called ‘Night Owls.’

Some of you more established residents of the West Wing of Much Malarkey Manor may well remember ‘Night Owls.’ It was produced in the frenzy of a NaNoWriMo - 50,000 words in 30 days of write, write, write and don’t look back. (This was also in the times of me teaching full time, so goodness’ knows how I managed to achieve this embryonic script, but it should remind me how much I can write when I knuckle down and crack on despite being up to my eyeballs in other stuff of life.)

Anyhoo.....I have this script of ‘Night Owls’ which I rediscovered when poking around with some memory sticks to see exactly what was on them. The script stood at just over 50,000 words. Today, it tipped over to 62,000 words and I’m only two thirds of the way through the rewrite, so I am thinking by the time I’m finished it could well top 70,000, nay 75,000 words. Which is the size of a decent novel. You know, the kind you can bowl through in a few evenings if it grabs you, unlike, say ‘A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu’ or ‘Ulysses’ both of which I started decades ago and will never finish, because life is, frankly, too short.

My question to you, then, is this. If I was to self-publish ‘Night Owls’ (which possibly might be re-titled ‘Amazing Grace’ - would you purchase a copy for the purposes of raising money for charity? It’s a story about four women - Grace, Steph, Nina and Annie - who form a common bond over their habit of waking at 3 a.m, and set about finding and executing various activities and projects to occupy their waking hours. A sort of triumph over insomnia. It is funny, poignant, and inspiring.

What do you think? It seems a pity to finish it and have nowhere for it to go.

(P.S I have also rediscovered two more almost but not quite complete novels to continue working on. There’s ‘Indigo Anscombe, Violet and Blue’ which is about three quarters complete, and ‘Merrily, Kissed by an Angel’ which is about half way there, although I know where it is going. Turns out I could be a writer after all.)

Comments

Meryl said…
Go for it, Denise!
Denise said…
Thank you, Meryl! I shall!
Vera said…
Just to say that our resident barn owl is flying most nights now, and is making a huge amount of mess in the barn! So I would say 'go for it', because owls always mean good things coming ahead. Lovely photo of you by the way!
Vx
Denise said…
Thanks, Vera! I wonder if your barn owl is flying because there are baby owls in residence?
aileen g said…
That owl is definitely trying to communicate something to you. I would certainly give the book(s) a go Denise. Better writing weather at the moment (i.e. it's raining!) xx
Lynne-FtWorth said…
I loved reading Night Owls,so I vote yes!

Deanna M.
Denise said…
The garden needed the rain, Aileen, but you are right - I feel less guilty sitting indoors writing when it’s pelting down with rain outside!

Deanna, there is bonus material now!
Athene said…
I remember Night Owls, I loved it - so a yes from me!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.