Skip to main content

Home

Who knew just a month or so ago that we would find ourselves in this current situation? And yet here we are, and Himself Lord Malarkey and moiself shall, of course, be doing our bit and not behaving at all like some of the mop heads who are out there treating all this like great larks, imagining they are invincible and in no way potential carriers of a nasty virus. Presumably because they are alien life forms of some sort from the Planet Plank. Or made entirely from Dettol.

Andy is self-isolating and working from home and has been doing so for almost a week now. His job is a difficult one to manage from home but he is doing his VERY best and cracking on. I am now home, too, my workplace having closed from today. But I am allowed out if needs be, to collect essential shopping, nothing more. I remain optimistic that things won’t be as bad as predicted, and I am aware that some people of my acquaintance find this stance annoying, but hey - I’m a born optimist, it’s the way I think and the way I keep myself strong and cheerful. And at least I am not panic buying and stockpiling, although when I was doing a spot o’ dusting at 7.30 a.m I did wonder how I’ve managed to accumulate 14 cat ornaments when I only remember buying two of them.

Today then. Woke to a heavy frost so a bit chilly for gardening first thing. What did I do instead? I sat and wrote 3,000 more words of ‘Clive and Min’, that’s what I did. Don’t get too excited - they are first draft words and will need polishing somewhat before I unleash them on my adoring public (!) ha ha! But Sylvia Path has concocted a cunning plan and Clive is breaking through the veil, so exciting stuff, even for me wot is writing it!

In the afternoon I hied me forth into the garden and set about some serious trimming of the hedge that backs onto my embryo rose garden. This instantly made the bed look wider. It also revealed the remains of a dead magpie. Which was nice.  Bleurgh....

I continued the digging up of much crocosmia, aquilegia, ivy and something else unidentifiable. Oh, and nettles. And bits of tree root. It’s a bit of a job, to be honest, but I am making satisfactory progress and I am pretty certain my upper arms aren’t as bingo-wingy as they were, but then that could also be down to all the bread making I’ve been doing. The rose garden space is about 6 feet wide and 20 feet long. I am very much looking forward to being able to go out and buy the roses with which to fill it! Not totally committed to colours yet, but probably pinks and creams and whites.

It cheers the spirit, getting outside and doing stuff to the garden. The garden, I think, is not going to know quite what has hit it over these ensuing weeks. But the garden will be my silver lining to the current cloud.

Keep safe and happy, everyone! Our personal worlds may feel like they are shrinking at this moment, but I bet, when we are out the other side, we will find they have grown.

Comments

Athene said…
Might as well stay positive and make the most of the enforced leisure. I look forward to seeing your roses in future.
Denise said…
There are so many roses out there, Olly. I may go into rose choice overload...
Vera said…
I am optimistic as well, and included in that optimism is a hope that we shall be moving from France to England sometime in the near future when everything quietens down. But I do find people surprised at my attitude!
Hope you both stay well.
Denise said…
What better thing to be in this world to surprise people, eh Vera? I’m not going to apologise for being an optimist. xx
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Good afternoon Denise! We are on a shelter in place order as well. It is very quiet in our neighborhood today. I am taking advantage and trying to learn to cook more. Last week I made Caraway Rye dinner rolls. They were yummy. This week we have eaten all leftovers in the icebox and will be making homemade chicken soup tomorrow. I think I will try to make English muffin bread soon as it is so good for toasting. We too have been working in the yard, no garden beds yet just cleaning and mowing.

Y'all stay well and I can't wait for more Clive and Min.

Your Texas friend
Deanna M.
Denise said…
Hello Deanna! You sound like you are being very productive! That’s the key, I think. Keeping distracted by learning new skills and avoiding the news as much as possible. I feel like we are in news reporting overload here, so am switching off as much as possible. There was one light entertainment programme I wanted to watch last night and it was cancelled for ‘Question Time.’ I was livid!

Keep doing what you are doing, my friend! xx

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.