Skip to main content

Full Circle

It suddenly occurred to me at the beginning of last week that I have lost sight of the reason we moved to Shropshire in the first place, and that was to live in the countryside in a modest house with a huge garden. So that we could have an allotment on our doorstep and feed ourselves as much as possible.

And I remembered the times over ten years ago, the exciting times when we got our first allotment. Long standing Much Malarkey Manor readers will likely remember those times, too, as I documented them on my blog - first the allotment, then the little greenhouse, then the hens, then the bees, then the polytunnel and fruit cage. Remember the sausage machine, the hops, the Plague of Courgettes? The willow arch and its accompanying and hideous giant willow aphids? All that stuff myself and Himself Lord Malarkey did to move towards a little bit of self-sufficiency? I had a sudden thought, too, about the little Kentish cobnut tree I planted in the front garden of our old place in Maidstone and I don’t mind admitting that a lump of emotion caught in my throat at having to leave it behind.

Anyway, here we are in on the Three Counties Border, and yes, we’ve done a bit to continue the gardening adventure. We planted the hornbeam hedge in an attempt to make a sort of ‘walled garden’ space, and it is doing very well. Bits of it are taller than me now. And it is thickening up, too. The fruit cage is up, although it is fit to bursting with raspberries so will likely need expanding tout de suite. We’ve grown a few veg, but not many, in the two raised beds Andy built. Last year we grew nothing. The grape vine is rampant. The fruit trees are doing their fruity thing.

But it’s not how it should be. And a lot of that is down to lack of time and lack of greenhouse. I have time now though! Lots of time! And, on Saturday, we went out and ordered....

...a greenhouse! Ta dah!!

It’s 8.5 x 10.5 feet in size, so bigger than we’ve ever had before. It’s red cedar, has shelving and double sliding doors, a side vent and roof vents and it is a thing of beauty. It’s arriving in about 6 weeks, and has been enough of an incentive for me that I’ve been out and purchased seeds and potting compost and have felt that familiar thrill of getting back into growing stuff! It is time to start off the tomatoes and chilli peppers!

I have plans, too, to fill half of the top garden with raised beds so I can start a proper 4 year crop rotation, like we did in the allotment days. I’ve also started off another compost bin. I can also hear the humming of bees....gosh, I miss being a bee-keeper....

And I’ve started excavating the swathes of crocosmia that have taken over one of the beds in the middle garden because I want that bed to be taken over instead by swathes of roses. In fact, I might go out at the end of this week to purchase some roses in readiness. The middle garden is going to be a flower garden, a space for sitting and reading and entertaining. The top garden will be a working garden, productive, a place of busyness...

Oh yes...I can see it all now...

And I am glad to be back on this pathway again...


Comments

Anonymous said…
Ohhh How exciting! I am only slightly green with envy... a proper green house... Looking forward to read more. Sorry for missing in action lately.
KJ
Vera said…
Oh well done, Denise. Your greenhouse sounds lovely and I am sure you will have a lot of enjoyment from it.
Denise said…
KJ! There you are! I hope you are okay. It’s good to hear from you again. I’m looking forward to having a proper greenhouse. Until now we’ve had dinky aluminium ones which fill up so quickly. Mind you, Andy is planning to install a chair in this new one...

Thank you, Vera! Time to get back to growing that food!
designmyspaces said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynne-FtWorth said…
I am so glad to hear that you are getting back to what makes you happy!
Right now North Texas is have lots and lots of rain. High water is standing everywhere. You inspire me to dig once this rain settles down.
I am really enjoying Clive & Min. Sundays are a favorite day to see the next installment.

Your Texan friend,
Deanna M.
Denise said…
Hello Deanna! It’s lovely to hear from you again and to know you are still part of the Much Malarkey Manor crew! We’ve had rain, rain, rain here, too which has hampered the gardening efforts somewhat. However, the dry and sunny days are becoming more frequent so I am able to get out and do more. Glad you are enjoying ‘Clive and Min’! Hugs to you from across the Atlantic! xx
Athene said…
Ha - it was The Plague of Courgettes that first led me to your blog. I can’t believe it’s that long ago!
Denise said…
Ha ha! Yes, Olly - that was a big lesson in allotmenteering - beware the overindulgence of courgettes!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.