Skip to main content

Wriggling In


It was a big thing for me, leaving teaching. It had been part of my life for over 20 years. Suddenly, I went from full on days of activity, always on the go, being amongst crowds of people, and earning a very decent salary, thank you very much, to days of stillness, solitude and an intense feeling of worthlessness because I felt I wasn’t doing anything ‘useful’ or earning any money. And you spend a lot of time arguing with yourself about whether you’ve made the right decision.

I’ve come to think of the last six months or so as my ‘wriggling in’ time. I’ve been wriggling my way into a different way of life. It’s been like trying on a new dress, that looks good on the clothes hanger but you’re not quite sure if it’ll fit you properly. We’ve all done it, haven’t we? Made an impulse buy only to get it home and find it makes you look like a sausage in a sock. Haven’t we? Yes?? Okay, just me then. But you get the gist.

So you make alterations to the dress because pride won’t let you return it for a refund. You let things out, take things in, try a variety of accessories and adjust your gusset. (That’s VERY important - always take time to adjust your gusset in these situations!) You assess the colours of mood, the textures of feeling. Sometimes a line of buttons clicks into place, sometimes the zipper of ease gets stuck. Sometimes you feel like a spring chicken, back in your 20s, full of enthusiasm and oomph! Sometimes, the image staring back at you from the mirror of life looks very much like mutton dressed as lamb.

Slowly though (perhaps too slowly if you are of the impatient type) the fit of the fabric begins to fall into place, to drape just right. Your novel starts sliding easily from your keyboard because you’ve developed the habit of writing every day, like proper writers do. You finally decide on the City and Guilds Levels 2, 3 and 4 certificate and diploma sewing course you want to do because it makes you feel excited, that you can’t wait for the start date to arrive and you realise that, like writing, sewing has sat with you as a passionate companion for most of your life. (And you try VERY hard to buff away the smudge of regret that you didn’t take this pathway 30 years ago and instead think of the 30 years you, hopefully, still have ahead of you.) You start an art class. You read 13 novels in a month!

And because you still equate your usefulness and worth with monetary value (I know....it’s wrong...sigh...) you go for an interview (yesterday!) for a job that is only one day a week, maybe two, at a community care farm project less than ten minutes drive up the road from your house, where you will be helping people to garden and to cook, to enjoy the outdoors, to look after animals, to art and craft, to build things, and to learn about living through all these activities, which are activities that you already love doing yourself! The manager tells you she has ‘good vibes’ about you, that she thinks you’ll fit very well into the ‘farm family’ and you smile your way home knowing that the modest £55 you’ll earn for the day a week you work will be the BEST £55 you ever earned...

Yes, I’ve done a lot of wriggling in the last few months. Finally, though, life feels like it is fitting me nicely. With the help of a hint of Lycra!

Comments

Vera said…
Nice post, Denise, and that job sounds just right for you!
rusty duck said…
Oh that sounds brilliant! And how lovely it will be to be working outside with Spring and Summer just around the corner.
Denise said…
Thanks Vera. One of the other support workers told me that she can’t believe she actually gets paid for doing something that is so enjoyable!

Jessica, I bought myself a waterproof jacket today. Just for the Spring showers!
Athene said…
Oh congratulations Denise! Sounds perfect - as you know I’m a great believer in taking risks and making changes. This sounds perfect for you, and yes after years of being independent and earning a living, it’s hard not to equate value with income. Quality of life is what it’s all about, we’re here for a good time, not a long time!
Denise said…
Olly, I knew you would understand! I don’t think anyone really enjoys having to change any aspect of their life, but actually, as we have both discovered, change can, and does, lead to a better way of being.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.