Skip to main content

Art Class

Yesterday, I joined an art class! Yes, I know! Me - drawing!! I haven’t drawn anything ‘proper’ since I was at school. I didn’t even do ‘O’ level art which means my learning of that subject stopped when I was 12/13 years old. Over 40 years ago. Blimey, doesn’t time fly? Anyway, because of some seeds of ideas that are currently germinating in my mind, I grabbed an opportunity to join a class that has started at our local Festival Centre. Basically, I just wanted to see if I could wield a pencil/ pastels/watercolours/ acrylics with any sort of competence. Yesterday was ‘Still Life’. And this is what I drew...


It was a bit overwhelming to begin with because the ‘tutor’ was an artist who wasn’t really born to teach. His advice stemmed mostly around the phrase ‘just draw what you see.’ And occasionally adding, ‘It’s easy!’ Well, yes, it might be for you, dear heart, with your 30+ years of experience under your apron, but I have NO idea what I am doing!

However, once I had embraced the idea of ‘go with the flow’ and ‘who cares, just do it!’ I had a jolly nice 2 and a half hours fiddling around with pencils (HB number what? Who knows?), charcoals, chalks and pastels with a sizeable group of lovely people who also seemed to be floundering in a similar level. I steadfastly refused to look at what other people were doing because I didn’t want to induce any ‘I can’t do this’ panic, and actually, at the end when we all had a look around each others’ work, I was happy with my own effort. Most importantly, I had enjoyed the time. And even more importantly, I had squirrelled away a few ideas about how to, and not to, deliver arty crafty lessons of my own, should that be one of the seeds of germination ideas in my head. Which it might be. Or not.

At one point I thought, ‘Oooh, that’s a nice piece of shading there. I don’t remember doing that,’ and then realised it was accidental shading caused by the outside edge of my hand which was covered in dust from the various materials I was using, and I had been smudging it along the paper as I was drawing!

At another point, when the tutor was discussing my progress with me, I said, ‘There’s a lot of rubbing out going on,’ and he said, ‘Oh, we don’t use erasers here - we like to see our mistakes,’ and I said, ‘It would be a ‘can’t see the art for the errors’ situation if I didn’t have an occasional rubbing out session’ and he laughed and said, ‘Just draw what you see.’ And I laughed, but not as hysterically as I could have done.

At one point, an experiment to recreate a piece of tree branch using the skill of chiaroscuro (nope, me neither) ended up looking like an enormous duck head with a sinister glint in its eye. My neighbour said, ‘Ooh, a dolphin.’ Which just proves how much art is open to interpretation. You’re not seeing that one...

Next week it’s watercolours! Given the mess I made this week, I’d best take an apron with me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your drawing is absolutely lovely! You are multi-talented!

KJ
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ! Very kind of you to say so.
rusty duck said…
When I started reading I was thinking about how great drawing might be for mindfulness, given that you must have to concentrate deeply on "what you see" in the moment to the exclusion of all else. But perhaps that comes later, when you can dabble about on your own!
Apropos seeds germinating: 10 packets sown, only 30 to go..
Denise said…
It was very mindful, Jessica. The room was light and airy and there was some calm music floating around. It was good.

Vera said…
Sounds like you have gathered a whole bunch of ideas from the art class, meanwhile enjoying the creativity of the afternoon!
Denise said…
I am glad I made the decision to go, Vera. I think it will be a very useful experience in more ways than one.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.