Skip to main content

A Little Woman

Inexplicably grim this morning, I was. Up early, cracking on with the start of the day, I found myself hitting a flat spot just after 9 a.m. You know, (or perhaps you don’t?) when you feel a bit aimless and end up staring out of the window at the grey clouds scudding across the sky and bits of spitty rain tip tapping at the windows, and wishing you had a massive slice of fruit cake to hand but you don’t because you are trying to lose some weight, damn it, and haven’t done any baking for AGES.

‘Do some writing,’ I said to myself sternly. I tend to talk aloud to myself because sometimes mine is the only voice I hear all day, and I like to check a) that my voice still works and b) so do my ears. So I sat and wrote for an hour and a half. A couple of interesting plot points showed their faces, so that was good. Sometimes writing reveals some surprising ideas. I mean, I know it is me that thinks them, but they still surprise me sometimes.

During this time, the postman delivered a new broadband hub because we’ve just had to go through the rigamarole of renewing our contract with BT and, of course, it entailed paying £9.99 for an updated hub (I’m rolling my eyes here) BUT we will also receive one of those talking tower thingies that does Alexa, worth £89.99! Yeah, like I wanted one of those, but hey! It might be fun - ‘Alexa, play ‘The Queen of the Night’ aria from Mozart’s ‘The Magic Flute’ followed by the theme tune for ‘The Banana Splits’ then tell me what the weather will be like in May.’

By 10.45 I was feeling restless again. I answered the phone to a scam caller, telling me there was something terribly wrong with my internet (sigh...) so I said, ‘Do you know, I think it is really sad that you have to work in a job that requires you to scam people,’ and the caller replied, ‘If you think that, I hang up,’ and they did. So that was good. Whilst I was near the phone I made an appointment for a cut and blow dry for the beginning of February. I shall enjoy this one because my hairdresser does a ‘Pay for three haircuts, get your fourth one free,’ offer. And this will be the freebie. I then emailed a good chum because she is a very good listener, and we off-load to each other in these moments of grimness.

And then I thought, just go out somewhere. Anywhere. Just go out. (I didn’t say this out loud because by now even I was getting bored of the sound of my whinging.) So I got in the car and went to a nearby garden centre which has a branch of Hobbycraft. Which had a sale! I bought some painting brushes, a watercolour set, some pipe cleaners and some embroidery threads. And when I went to the checkout to pay for my little basket of bargains, the assistant said, ‘You look like you’ve stepped straight out of ‘Little Women.’ That’s a compliment, by the way.’

Well! Here are the ‘Little Women’ from last year’s BBCs adaptation...

Was I pottering around Hobbycraft in a big old frock with flowers in my hair? Nope. I was wearing a corduroy tunic top in blue with little red acorns dotted around on it, purple woolly tights, purple boots, a blue/green poncho and my hair in sticky-out bunches! Mind you, I enjoyed that the assistant equated this 54 year old woman with feisty girls less than half that age. Unless she was thinking of their mother, of course. I hadn’t considered that...gosh, how vain of me!

 Anyway, it cheered me up no end, that comment. As I paid for my goodies, we discussed the new ‘Little Women’ film which the assistant said she saw a couple of days ago with her mother and daughter, and that it was EXCELLENT, so I really must go and see it.

Then I came home and had soup for lunch. Grimness gone!

Comments

Sue in Suffolk said…
Good hairdressing bargain - at mine you pay for 8 and get 9th half price - better than nothing I guess.

I'm glad your morning improved
Denise said…
I was pleasantly surprised by the offer when I started going there, Sue. Always good to get a freebie! And thank you, yes. I got myself out of the grims eventually.
Vera said…
So a good day was had in the end, because you took hold of the day and made it work for you!
rusty duck said…
No freebie haircuts in Devon sadly.
No free Alexa either for that matter. You might find you get hooked on it. Like "Alexa, His Lordship Malarkey wants sausages for his dinner. Will you order them for me please. And get them delivered. While I sit here on the sofa and stroke the cat." And that way you can also check if your voice and ears still work.. so a win, win, win really. Apart from the weight loss. It'll do nothing for that.
Denise said…
Vera, it turned into a better day than I imagined. Internal monologues can have a dramatic effect.

Jessica, I shall be interested to see how the whole Alexa thing works out. It might be fab, or it might end up on a shelf collecting dust. Like my Kindle...

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.