Skip to main content

Day 22 -Slightly Losing the Plot




It is the morning after the night before. The castle of Gloria Glinda, the Good Pumphrey of the North is quiet except for occasional mutterings and moaning about headaches, gippy tummies and where’s the Alka Seltzer? The tee-total staff are wandering around with enormous bin bags, clearing up the mess and wondering why it’s always them who have to do the housework after a party instead of the drunken ne’er-do-wells who make the mess in the first place. And Dorothy Miggins is still fuming from the revelation that she could have gone home over two weeks ago if Gloria Glinda had thought to mention the magic power of the ruby slippers instead of sending them all off on a wild Oz chase.

‘Try and see the funny side,’ says Ptolemy Ptinman.

‘I would if there was one,’ says Dorothy Miggins.

‘We got to spend lots of fun time together,’ says Toto. ‘Think of it as a holiday.’

‘Fun?’  says Dorothy Miggins. ‘Holiday? I don’t think so. I think ‘interesting’ is as far as I can stretch on the adjectival front.’

‘At least you know you are going home today,’ says Bambino Bobblion, who is rather excited at the thought of taking up his post of creative guru in Quadling Woods and has been making notes of lots of ideas to take with him, like turning the woodland path into a series of trampolines and planting trees that grow pink marshmallows. 

‘Yes,’ says Ptolemy Ptinman, who has been thinking about his new role as Pking of Winkie Land, and wondering if the first thing he’ll put to the Winkies for discussion is if they should consider changing the name of Winkie Land to something more, well, refined and noble. Like Ptolemy Land. Pking Ptolemy of Ptolemy Land. Yes, it has a certain ring to it.

‘There is that,’ says Dorothy Miggins, and her heart gives a little flip at the thought that she’ll be home before the day is ended. ‘Has anyone seen Gloria Glinda? I need to ask her how to activate these ruby slippers.’

As if she has been waiting in the wings for her cue, Gloria Glinda, the Good Pumphrey of the North and of Very Little Brain (apparently) appears. She is wearing her brushed cotton jim-jams, the ones with a llama pattern, and her eye mask is pushed up on her forehead. In contrast to the previous evening, she is talking very quietly.

‘Morning, all,’ she whispers. ‘How are we?’

‘Keen to go home,’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘I just need you to tell me how to work these ruby slippers.’

Gloria Glinda pauses a moment  whilst she rearranges her brain cells into some sort of order. ‘Ah, yes,’ she says. ‘All you need to do is stand still with your eyes closed, tap the heels of the ruby slippers together and say, ‘There’s no place like Slough.’

‘Slough?’ says Dorothy Miggins, although it is true – there is no place like Slough.

‘Do I mean Slough?’ says Gloria Glinda. ‘No, I mean ‘home’. You do the heel tapping thing and say, ’There’s no place like home.’’

(N.B For my lovely readers who aren’t English and might not know because of the vagaries of the English language, Slough rhymes with ‘cow’ and not ‘cuff.’)

‘Seriously?’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘It’s as easy as THAT?’

Gloria Glinda nods. ‘It certainly is. Most seemingly difficult problems have an easy solution. Unless it’s maths, of course. There are no easy solutions to maths.’

‘Right,’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘Let’s crack on, shall we? Toto, hop up here into my wings. We are going home!’

‘Ahem,’ says  Ptolemy Ptinman. ‘I don’t have any ruby slippers. How am I going to get to my new home in Winkie Land?’

‘I’d like a lift to Quadling Woods,’ adds Bambino Bobblion.

Dorothy Miggins slaps her forehead. ‘Oh silly me! I am so sorry. Of course we must make sure you get home safely, too. Tancrow Pete is safe in the City of Rusty Duck, and you two must be taken home at once. You’ve stuck with me through the thick and thin of everything. How selfish of me to forget you.’

Ptolemy Ptinman puts his arm around her and gives her a squeeze. ‘Not selfish at all, dearest Dottie Miggo. Perfectly understandable, given your excitement in wanting to go home.’ And he gives her another squeeze, which encourages Bambino Bobblion to join in, and Toto too, who is never one to turn down the opportunity of a group hug.

‘Yes, all right!’ gasps Dorothy Miggins, wrestling herself free from the middle of the embrace. She finds these things way too close for comfort and her tolerance of them is very low on the Touchy-Feely scale of Hugness. Probably somewhere between 1 and 2.

Gloria Glinda steps forwards. ‘I have it in my power to return your friends to their homes,’ she says. And she reaches over to retrieve the once Golden But Now Sludgy Yellow Cap from the top of a suit of armour where some wag had placed it the previous evening.

As she touches the cap it starts to glow again and soon it is back to its previous glorious golden self.

‘You’re the new owner,’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘So you have three new wishes!’

‘I do,’ says Gloria Glinda.

One of her courtiers, steps forwards and places the Golden Cap on the head of Gloria Glinda. She closes her eyes and summons forth Bob Frapples and his Flying Monkeys.

‘Here we go again,’ he says, landing with a bump and a sigh. ‘It’s the hard nut life for us.’

‘Knock,’ says Toto.

‘What?’ says Bob Frapples.

‘The lyric from the song in the musical ‘Annie’ is, ‘It’s the hard knock life for us’,’ says Toto, who knows about these things, well, Hugh Gnu does anyway, being a theatrical type.

‘Are you sure?’ says Bob Frapples.

‘Quite sure,’ says Toto/Hugh Gnu.

Bob Frapples gives it some thought. ‘Nah,’ he says. ‘I think I’ll stick to ‘nut’ if it’s all the same to you.’

Toto shrugs. ‘No skin off my satsuma,’ says Hugh, ‘although Martin Charnin might have something to say about you messing with his lyrics. If he hadn’t died earlier this year, of course.’

And the whole cast pause for a moment to belt out a rendition of ‘The Sun’ll Come Out Tomorrow’ also written by Martin Charnin in collaboration with Charles Strouse who is still very much alive and kicking at the age of 91.  

(Gosh, that was an odd segue, dear reader(s). And a lesson to the author to not always follow her stream of consciousness thought process when she is writing. Still, it’s in now and who doesn’t like a sing-a-long to songs from ‘Annie’?)

Back to the story. But not until…tomorrow!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.