Skip to main content

Day 17 - 'It's Me! I'm The Star!!'




Dorothy Miggins is keen to see the Awful Mighty Power, or whatever, that is the Wizard of Oz as soon as possible, so they head for his Gothic mansion and are admitted immediately. They march confidently up the beacon-lit corridor to the great hall at the end and find themselves once more in the presence of the Wizard himself. Or herself. They haven’t actually seen him or her yet.

‘So,’ says the voice of the Wizard of Oz, ‘you have returned triumphant! You have melted the Wicked Poo of the West and brought her broomstick to me.’

‘We have,’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘Although the bristles are a bit sticky. I didn’t have time to clean it before we left and there might be some egg and marmalade still attached as a result of my very conscientious cleaning of her kitchen floor. Honestly, you wouldn’t believe it…’

‘SILENCE!’ roars the Mighty Wizard of Oz. ‘I do not have time to listen to your silly stories. I am a VERY important person. I have MANY important things to attend to. And it is my duty to tell you that you have arrived with the broomstick TOO late for me to help you with your requests. Cut-off date for requests was YESTERDAY! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!’

‘What?’ says Dorothy Miggins, in that modulated, quiet tone that some mothers use to scare the bejeezus from their errant off-spring. ‘What do you mean, too late?’

‘If you really wanted my help you’d have returned in greater haste,’ says the Wizard. ‘Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have VERY important matters waiting for my attention. I can’t be wasting time hanging around waiting for the likes of you lot.’

The great hall falls silent. And the lights go out.

In the darkness, Ptolemy Ptinman, Tancrow Pete, Bambino Bobblion and Toto can hear steady and determined breathing, slow at first, then picking up pace and building in volume. It can mean only one thing. The Stack of Dorothy Miggins is about to blow…

‘COME BACK HERE AT ONCE!’ she shrieks in her best lady-of-the-manor-Hyacinth-Bucket-Audrey-Fforbes-Hamilton voice. The voice that says, ‘Don’t you DARE mess with me,’ without actually saying it. The voice that says, ‘You’ve rattled my cage just a little too often and a little too hard. Mate.’

‘Go away!’ says the voice of the Wizard of Oz.

Dorothy Miggins turns to her ‘size of a chicken and gnu’ dog. ‘Toto,’ she says. ‘FETCH!’

‘At last!’ shouts Hugh Gnu. ‘Some action! C’mon Betty – let’s show them what we can do!’

It is as if the wand of ye olde musical hall of Victorian times has been waved over them with its glittery, show-biz magic on full strength. Hen and gnu, in perfect harmony, launch into a full on tap dance with high kicks routine, which is no mean feat in a pantomime dog costume. And in the dark, too. They kick-ball-change, step-heel, step-heel and buffalo their way towards the direction of the Wizard’s voice. Tancrow Pete and Ptolemy Ptinman dash around lighting as many flares and candles as they can find, don’t ask how, they just do. Dorothy Miggins just stands there, rolling her eyes, because when she said, ‘FETCH!’ this isn’t what she envisaged at all.

And just as the light level rises enough to be able to see the magnificent dance spectacle that is occurring, Mrs Slocombe high kicks instead of shuffling, Hugh Gnu mis-times a set of three buffaloes and they crash into a screen at the end of the great hall.

The screen falls, and behind it is a small, cloaked figure in a mask and a hat, pulling and pushing levers on a control panel and speaking into a microphone. ‘I told you to GO AWAY!’ says the figure in the voice of the Wizard. And then he realises there is a bit of a draft at his back, and he slowly turns to face the music. But perhaps not dance.

‘YOU!’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘You’re not a great and powerful Wizard. You’re…’

‘The Phantomime!’ says the Phantomime. ‘Yes! All right. It’s ME! Kenneth! It’s ME! I’m the star of the show and I’ve had to stand behind a stupid screen all this time. How am I supposed to show the world the talent and glory of my performance from behind a stupid screen?’

Dorothy Miggins advances towards the Phantomime with more than a degree of menace in her step. She jabs him in the chest with her wing. ‘You sent us on a Fool’s errand,’ she says.

‘How fitting for a bunch of fools!’ says the Phantomime. ‘Mwahahahahaha…ha! HA!’

Tancrow Pete, Ptolemy Ptinman, Bambino Bobblion and Toto gather behind Dorothy Miggins, looking equally miffed at this unwelcome revelation.

‘You can’t give me a brain, can you?’ says Tancrow Pete.

‘Nor me a heart,’ says Ptolemy Ptinman.

‘And I’m going to be the same cowardly lion I’ve always been, aren’t I?’ says Bambino Bobblion.

‘And I am never going to get home to Much Malarkey Manor on the Three Counties Border,’ says Dorothy Miggins. Suddenly, the situation seems a bit hopeless.

The Phantomime looks at them with disdain. ‘Oh, listen to yourselves, you bunch of self-pitying attention seekers.’ (This is a bit rich, coming from the biggest attention seeker of them all, but at least he knows what he is talking about.) ‘Just listen to yourselves. Of course you are clever and brave and caring. You’ve just been on a dangerous journey where you’ve overcome many trials and returned in one piece, haven’t you? You’ve survived attacks and kidnapping using courage, wit, patience and the love of friendship. You didn’t abandon each other, did you? No one got seriously hurt, did they? In fact, it’s all rather sickening and too much in the Spirit of Christmas for my liking. Seriously, what more do you people want?’

‘I want to go home,’ says Dorothy Miggins.

The Phantomime shrugs. ‘Okay, granted you’re likely to be stuck here forever and a day. But hey – three out of four isn’t bad! That’s 75%. A good solid Grade B, or Number 6, or Upper Second, or whatever way teaching and learning outcomes are measured these days.’

‘But I want to go home,’ repeats Dorothy Miggins, and for the first time in EVER everyone can hear a slight crack in her voice as she speaks. And is that a single tear slipping from her eye and sliding down to the tip of her beak?

Tancrow Pete steps forward and places a comforting wing on the wing of Dorothy Miggins. ‘You did say you would take her home,’ he says to the Phantomime. ‘It doesn’t matter about the rest of us, but I think the girl who led us through everything deserves to get her wish at least. Come on – be fair.’

Now a sense of fairness is not unheard of as far as the Phantomime goes. In fact, I seem to remember he showed us his kinder side in the Christmas Story of 2018. He is also by now feeling rather weary. Perhaps, he thinks, it is time for a holiday, to get away from it all – the City of Rusty Duck, the Duckkins and having to live life behind a screen, which is no life for a flamboyant character such as himself.

‘Okay,’ he says. ‘I’ll take you home. In my hot-air balloon.’

‘You’ve got a hot-air balloon?’ says Toto, the Hugh Gnu bit, because he is rather fond of a bit of air travel by balloon.

‘It’s how I arrived here in the first place,’ says the Phantomime. ‘I was aiming for Peru, and got blown off course by a rogue wind.’

‘You can take me home?’ says Dorothy Miggins.

‘Sure can, sweet cheeks!’ says the Phantomime, because now he is thinking about a holiday, he is cheering up enormously. ‘But first, a ceremony! Stand in a line. Quick, quick.’

Everyone does as they are told. The Phantomime straightens his cloak, hat and mask and produces a large bag from beneath his Wizard of Oz control station. He rummages around for a few seconds, muttering to himself, then stands and faces his expectant audience.

‘You, Tancrow Pete,’ he says. ‘You have shown great presence of mind during your escapades. You already had a brain, you just didn’t know it, because you spent all your time dangling from a pole in the middle of a field, which is stupid by anyone’s standards. Travel has broadened your mind, my friend. And here is a bag of marbles, to remind you of your magnificent brain. Don’t lose them.’

And he presents Tancrow Pete with a bag of marbles. He turns to Ptolemy Ptinman.

‘You, Ptolemy Ptinman,’ he says, ‘have shown how much you care about your fellow companions, and you can’t care if you don’t have a heart. Your heart is a way bigger than mine, for example, because I care about very little beyond myself. You have put your friends before yourself. I find this a weird concept, but the love you have shown is beyond doubt. I present you with this stethoscope. Wear it always, and if you are ever in doubt about the presence of a heart in your chest, you can check it out for yourself.’

And he presents Ptolemy Ptinman with a stethoscope. ‘Make sure you warm the end first, though,’ advises the Phantomime. ‘And remember, the Winkies wouldn’t want you as their king if you didn’t have the capacity for love. They need a lot of love after being in thrall to the Wicked Poo of the West for so long.’

He turns to Bambino Bobblion. ‘You, young kitten, are an idiot. But you are also brave. Many times during your journey you have felt fear, but not once have you run away to hide. You have stayed by your friends through it all, and you also volunteered to go ahead into the market square in Winkie Land to scope out the joint, as it were. As you grow, so shall your bravery. But just in case you need a bit of help, perhaps if you find yourself in a particularly tricky situation, have a swig of this.’ And he gives Bambino Bobblion a hip-flask of brandy.

‘What’s this?’ says Bambino Bobblion.

‘Dutch courage,’ says the Phantomime. ‘You only need a sip. Don’t be glugging it all back in one hit. Not like the time I did when I was performing at the London Palladium. I was talking to God on the Big White Telephone for a long time the next day, I can tell you.’

The Phantomime claps together his hands. ‘Right! Ceremony over! Let’s get going, shall we?’ and he holds out an arm to Dorothy Miggins who takes it, much relieved she is finally on her way home.

Comments

Vera said…
What a rollicking good tale!
Denise said…
Thank you, Vera! It’s quite puffing me out writing it!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.