Skip to main content

Day 16 - Moving On Up, Moving On Out!




Following the hullaballoo of melting witches and random monarch selections, Dorothy Miggins is keen to get back to the City of Rusty Duck, present the broomstick to the Wizard of Oz and be on her way home, in whatever form that might take.

‘I’m not sure I can face the walk, though,’ she says. ‘Is there a horse and carriage we can borrow, maybe, or a couple of bicycles?’

She is talking to Tinkie Winkie who has turned his coat again and is busy smarming up to the king-in-waiting, Ptolemy Ptinman. Tinkie Winkie laughs.

‘You can use the Golden Cap,’ he says. ‘Since the Wicked Poo of the West is no more, its ownership passes to you. You get three wishes! If I was you, I’d use one to get me back to the City of Rusty Duck.’

‘Or,’ says Dorothy Miggins, ‘I could use one to wish myself home, to the Three Counties Border and Much Malarkey Manor, which is very likely falling into chaos in my absence.’

Tinkie Winkie scratches his chin. ‘You could,’ he says, ever the sycophant. ‘But if you do, the Christmas Story will end eight days early.’

(‘Hurrah!’ shouts the author.)

‘That will never do,’ says Dorothy Miggins. ‘I see what you mean. I suppose what I COULD do is return to the City of Rusty Duck, see the Wizard of Oz and if he turns out to be one mahoosive fraud, which I suspect he will, then I’ve still got two wishes to use to get me home.’

‘It’s a plan,’ says Tinkie Winkie, although he knows little about the finer nuances of using a Golden Cap.

It is settled then. A reverential hush falls over the Winkie crowd, and the Golden Cap is retrieved from the hat-stand in the hall of the castle of the now ex-Wicked Poo of the West.

‘Shall I do the honours?’ says Tancrow Pete.

‘If you don’t mind,’ says Dorothy Miggins, whose short chickeny wing span means she isn’t that skilled at placing hats on her own head.

The Golden Cap is placed on the head of Dorothy Miggins and, thankfully, no one sniggers.

‘What do I do now?’ she whispers.

‘Make a wish,’ whispers back Tinkie Winkie.

Dorothy Miggins closes her eyes, because it seems the correct thing to do in the situation, and wishes that she, Tancrow Pete, Ptolemy Ptinman, Bambino Bobblion and Toto can return as soon as possible to the City of Rusty Duck. Luggage: a broomstick, one previous lady owner.

The air around them crackles and whooshes and in moments Bob Frapples, King of the Flying Monkeys (which are a bit like The Flying Pickets only more jazz and less a cappella) appears, with his monkey tribe flying in formation behind him.

He lands in front of Dorothy Miggins. ‘Ah,’ he says, ‘a new face. And a prettier face, I might add. Loving the pigtails, chick. Very ‘on trend’.’

‘Eeeeeek!’ squeaks Dorothy Miggins, coming over all unnecessary.

Bob Frapples winks at her, something he only tried once with the Wicked Poo of the West, earning himself a punch on the nose for his efforts. ‘So you want to go to the City of Rusty Duck, eh?’ says he.

‘Yes, please,’ giggles Dorothy Miggins. Tancrow Pete rolls his eyes.

‘No worries, fair lady,’ says Bob Frapples. He nods to his band of flying monkeys and immediately they form into the shape of a sledge, you know, like the ones you get to ride on when you visit Santa Claus at the North Pole, or Finland, or Lakeside Shopping Centre, or wherever else he happens to be hanging out. Though hopefully not his pyjamas.

Bob Frapples extends his monkey paw. (N.B Reader, do not worry. This is not the same monkey’s paw from the famous ghost story by W.W.Jacobs, published in 1902, where three wishes are granted to the owner of the paw, but they are wishes that come at an enormous cost, because one should never try to interfere with Fate, should one? This is just a paw, attached to a monkey. The wishes are down to the Golden Cap which is a benign supernatural entity. Just saying.)

‘Step into the sledge, dear lady,’ says Bob Frapples. ‘And your companions, too. Strap the broom to the luggage rack. We shall fly you safely to the City of Rusty Duck before you can say, ‘Are we there yet?’’

And it is true! Because Bambino Bobblion, who is as impatient a spirit as they come,  almost immediately as they have risen into the sky says, ‘Are we there yet?’ and yes! They are! Below them, the sparkly greyness of the City of Rusty Duck hoves into view and the monkey sledge is depositing them safely in the town square, where the Duckkins welcome their return with open wings.

‘Thank you, Mr Frapples!’ calls Dorothy Miggins, as the sledge disbands and the monkeys fly away in the shape of a comedy carrot.

‘Don’t forget,’ calls Bob Frapples, ‘you have two wishes remaining. Put on the Golden Cap and call when you need us!’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.