Skip to main content

Something Nasty in the Woodshed

Here I am! Lovely birthday, thank you! Lunch out with Himself Lord Malarkey, visit to see the new Shaun the Sheep film (very entertaining, apart from being accused of sitting in the wrong seats by a narky family who had actually, themselves, turned up a day late - ha!) and lots of shouting at the telly during ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ when ONCE again the judges (ha!) showed increasing bias towards some contestants and Shirley was horrid to Emma and Anton, which immediately got them 3 votes from me!

One of my lovely birthday gifts was a craft course voucher to spend on a craft course of my choice. Well, I’ve had a yearning to try weaving, and in the next small town along from us there is a lady who runs weaving workshops! So I am going to book myself into her Introduction to Weaving day, which Andy says is very handy because if I like it, that’ll be my Christmas present sorted in the form of a loom! How exciting!!

Anyway, one of my new ‘things’ for this coming 55th year of mine is to be more assertive in grabbing life by the lapels and giving it a shake to see what drops out of its pockets. Instead of thinking of doing things, I am going to do more doing of doing things. This is why yesterday I was out in the garden at 9 a.m tackling the woodshed. Basically, our woodshed looks like this inside...
...dark and grim, and damp and full of tat. It’s become a bit of a dumping ground and if I want to get logs for the wood burner I have to literally BEAT my way to the back (avoiding treading on the resident toad which has a remarkable capacity for camouflage) where they are inconveniently situated. Enough!

I opened the door and forced myself through the immediate thought of, ‘Oh, I can’t be bothered with this today. Let’s go inside and read a book instead,’ and thus I sallied forth and spent about three hours tackling all manner of debris that was wet, smelly, sludgy, slimy and generally yuck. I placed a dumpy bag at the top of the drive and chucked out stuff that I neither recognised the purpose of or knew we hadn’t used in the last three and a half years or that was patently past its life expectancy. This bag will sit there until a) it is full enough and I can pay something to come and remove it or b) Andy starts making a few trips to the tip.

 The trouble with the woodshed is that it has a leaky roof. The woodshed is attached to the laundry. The combined area is substantial - about 12 x 18 square feet. As I went about my grubby work I allowed myself a daydream whereby we had the whole outbuilding knocked down and rebuilt as some kind of utility/ gym/ loo and shower building. It’s a thought...and it would save me ever having to do woodshed clearing ever again. Might need to relocate the toad, though...

Once I had completed Operation Something Nasty in the Woodshed, I moved onto Operation Let’s Make the Court Yard Look Less Like a Scrap Yard. Another two and a half hours of weeding, pruning, leaf sweeping, dragging a trowel edge through the gaps in the crazy paving, and all is tidy and I allowed myself a sense of smugness at my achievement. I also allowed myself a bath and hair wash to get rid of the accumulated grim, slime and cobwebs.

Today, I’ve been to the hairdresser and had most of my very long hair cut back to shoulder length. Eddie, my stylist, and I had a good old natter about Strictly and The Apprentice, which is another show I’ve taken a fancy to, having developed a morbid fascination with how the young people on it can be so disorganised and not know when WWII was, or how to tell the difference between a rhino and an elephant. It is entertaining me enormously, especially with Karen in the back of camera shot rolling her eyes at exactly the same time I roll mine.

I’ve started getting a bit of Christmas Shopping in. The Christmas Story is well over 13,000 words and I’m only on Day 11. I’ve read nearly two books this week. No way do I feel like I am 54.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Looking good! I like your new haircut. We just cut down some trees - really they are just weeds gone out of control and the neighbor came running with their green bind and offered it up with a big grin on their faces... Do you think that was a hint? There is a lot of satisfaction in getting "rooms of plenty" and other areas of chaos under control I have found. Not that it doesn't take me a while to built up the courage to "just do it"... Looking forward to see your effort weaving! I just picked up knitting after a couple of decades of neglect... its providing to moving my brain cells around... can't be all bad.
KJ
Denise said…
I’m just about to pick up a half knitted jumper I started back in Springtime, KJ. I very much think knitting is a cold weather occupation. Good luck with your endeavours! I’m sure you’ll soon be flying with whatever it is you are making.
Anonymous said…
Jumper!!! How nice! I just finished a pair oh the worlds easiest socks and I managed to mess it up several times during the process... :-D It's going to take a while before I venture out to do a jumper but it's on my dream knitting list!
KJ
Denise said…
It’s a very simple jumper pattern, KJ. I can’t be doing with the faff of cable and lace. I used to make jumpers with patterns on when I was younger - I remember making a cute Little Grey Rabbit one (complete with pompom tail!) for my daughter when she was little. But now I want something relatively quick and easy to make. I save the fiddly stuff for my sewing! Hurrah for your socks, though! I’ve never knitted socks.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.