Skip to main content

Fly By

Annoyingly, the cockerel Tootsie, has discovered that I put out fat balls and bird seeds for the wild ‘uns. He thinks it is great larks to ignore his chicken food and come down to the courtyard in order to avail himself of the finer tidbits of birdie cuisine. He is, as Kenneth Williams might say, bold. Needless to say, the garden birds are not keen on his presence. And I certainly get fed up with chasing him away at regular 12 minute intervals.

However, during the week, and fresh from my triumph of woodshed cleaning, I decided to tackle the laundry. This is mostly because the tidal wave of its contents was spread all over the floor (some people NEVER put things back where they find them, do they, Andy?) making it difficult for the maid a.k.a me to access things like the washing machine, the freezer and the bins containing the cat litter. By 8 a.m, then, I was out there wearing my Hat of Ruthlessness and my Boots of Determination, and by 10.30 I was posting this video clip to His Lordship Malarkey in celebration of finding a floor...

I think I ought to explain the bird poo on the freezer comment. During late summer a couple of young blue tits took to sleeping in the laundry overnight and in their excitement to leave in the morning, would leave a little ‘thank you’ poo. Which would land on the top of the freezer. Not in the freezer, for those of you who might be squeamish about these things. Anyway, it’s all clean now. Hurrah!

During my excavations I discovered the bird feeders we used last year and then were flung willy-nilly  into the laundry after bird feeding season ended. Which it does, in my book. I don’t hold with this ‘feed the birds all year round’ malarkey. Can’t afford it. They can find their own sustenance during the warmer months. Of course, should snow arrive in June I’ll be out there with emergency supplies, but until then, les voisins (is that French for ‘birds’? If it isn’t, it is now) are on their own.

Anyway, now I have scuppered Tootsie’s plans to become the most gargantuan cockerel on the planet by scoffing on fat balls and bird seed by popping the fat balls in the fat ball holder and the bird seed in the bird seed holder. And hanging them on high where, unless he is VERY resourceful and has a set of crampons and a climbing rope, he will be unable to plunder the contents. The only problem with the bird seed holder is that the great tits are picky about the seed they want and will FLING unwanted seed onto the ground with wild abandon in search of their top seed of choice. Luckily, the two resident collared doves are less picky and are very obliging about hoovering up the scatterings.

I managed to get this photo this morning of the fat ball holder in action. I’m sorry it’s not great quality, but I take photos on my iPad for the sheer convenience. Otherwise I would have to find my proper camera, try and remember how to use it, then go through all the faff of transferring the photos onto my iPad. And at the moment, I really can’t be arsed.


Comments

Unknown said…
Oiseaux is French for birds lol. Voisins is French for neighbours I think. I love your blogs Denise.
rusty duck said…
Lovely word, oiseaux.
And apparently it's crottes d'oiseaux. So much more romantic than bird droppings? We live in the wrong country Denise.
Denise said…
Of course it is oiseaux! (Smacks forehead, rolls eyes, silly me!) I have no idea why voisin came into my head. Mad! I am GLAD you enjoy the blog! Makes me happy!

As for living in the wrong country, Jessica, I’m not so sure. I love England for all its beauty, traditions, idiosyncrasies and eccentricities. We have Shakespeare and castles, the best films and literature, tolerance in bucketloads, and charity and compassion. I’ve never seriously considered being anywhere else. Call me sentimental and patriotic, but England is my kind of gal!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.