Skip to main content

First Day of the Rest of Your Life

Spooky moment this morning when I found myself chatting to my Rusty Duck blogging pal, Jessica, and she mentioned that she’d had a ‘First Day of the Rest of Your Life’ feeling this morning, and I said so had I! Weird, eh? But I have put my feeling down to the fact it is my birthday tomorrow and I shall be...

I feel oddly positive about the imminence of this birthday, this start of my 55th year. I don’t know why, but it feels important somehow, a gateway to something new. Just a weird and inexplicable feeling which, right now, I can’t pin down but one I shall embrace and ride with because it seems the right thing to do.

The urge to record this next year in a dedicated diary is very strong. Now, this could be an excuse for me to go and buy a lovely new notebook, because I love a new notebook, don’t you? I could just as easily record it, warts and all, on a new blog, that will ride alongside ‘Oh, My Days.’ But I don’t know if I can be that brave, because (and this might surprise you!) I am reasonably selective about what I write here, whereas my diaries of the past have been for my eyes only. Therapy if you like. Getting ‘stuff’ out of my brain and onto paper so I don’t stew, or so I can work through problems, issues and confusions for myself rather than bothering anyone else with them. I am a firm believer in writing as a therapy. It works. It really does. You have to be brave, honest and have the ability to switch off your internal censorship, and if you can do this, you have a powerful tool at your disposal.

Anyway, I’ve just been into the studio to root through my stash of notebooks to find one I haven’t already started for other writing purposes, or that I’ve used then removed pages and therefore look a bit on the tatty side. I have some that I’ve put aside for my counselling course and besides, they don’t feel ‘right’ to use for anything other than the reason I bought them. A notebook has to feel ‘right’ for its purpose. It really does. But I don’t know the purpose of this notebook for my 55th year, because I can’t explain this ‘First Day of the Rest of Your Life’ feeling. Does the notebook need to be small enough for me to carry with me everywhere? Or can I go down the scrapbook route, something big and chunky that will cope with additions in the form of mementoes, for example? Will I write in it every day, or every week, or just when the fancy takes me? Will it take me on a journey to achieving something BIG, like training for and running a marathon? That’s a joke, by the way. That’s never going to be on my List of Big Things To Do in Life. Running? Pah! Only for emergencies, like being chased by an angry rhino.

As my pal, Jessica, said when we were chatting away, today seems still and quiet. It feels like Time is holding its breath, waiting for some penny to drop, some flash of epiphany to happen, some wish to be made. I think I shall light a candle and sit somewhere quiet to contemplate this feeling and decide what I am to do. Doing nothing is not an option. I am 54 tomorrow. Time is moving on. Life needs living. Some change is imminent.

I am listening to my world today, for clues and signs that will expand on this feeling, that will help me recognise what I am to do, where I am to go. This all sounds a bit weird, I guess. But I am looking forward to the quietness of this afternoon and what it will reveal.

Wishing you all a peaceful and calm day, too. x

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday!

KJ

Athene said…
Happy Birthday, Denise (my slightly-younger twin!)
An interesting thought - I'm not sure I have ever had a 'rest-of-your-life feeling'. Not even (or perhaps especially not) when I gave up full time work. It was more of a 'yikes, what have I done, will I starve; ooh isn't it nice not to have to get up and get on a train' feeling.

You've made some big decisions and big changes over the past few years and most of them seem to have worked well, so I'd say trust your instincts and go with it. I look forward to reading about what happens next. And I completely agree about needing the right notebook for the task. One can't have too many notebooks. Have a lovely day!
Olly
Vera said…
Happy belated birthday, and I hope this is a great year for you. Vx
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ!

Thanks Olly, oh astral twin of mine! Hope you had a good birthday, too. One of my presents was a beautiful Liberty print pocket notebook, I don’t want to spoil it by writing in it!

Thank you, Vera. I hope you are well?

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.